spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Erik1970

join:2003-11-07
Hummelstown, PA

[DIRECTV] DVR Heat Issues

I switched to DirecTV from cable in February. Everything has been fine, except for one issue that has come up recently. In the last month or so when the weather turned warm the DVR (model hr24-200) has occasionally displayed a message that the internal temperature was over 140 degrees and it was starting a process to lower the temperature. The first time that it happened was when we came home from out of town and the air condition had been off, so the room temperature was probably in the 80s or 90s. It has happened again a couple of times when the room has been a more normal temperature as well. I put a couple of dvd cases under the left and right edges of the unit to lift it up so that the bottom can get more ventilation, but when I check the temperature using the info button on the remote it is still reporting in the high 130s or low 140s pretty consistently. The unit is in a tv stand, there is probably 6 inches of clearance to the sides, probably close to that on top, and the front is open. I even moved the box outside the tv stand and that didn't seem to have any effect on the internal temperature. Is this something that I need to be concerned about? I haven't received the error message lately, but since you cant watch anything while it does the cooling process I don't want it to happen again.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:4
Get a can of compressed air at your nearest Staples/Office store, or computer store, and blow out the dust. Even though you might not quite see it, there may be a lot of dust piled up on top of chips that get hot.....

Do it outside, or in the garage, just in case there is a lot of dust in.

That should probably take care of most issues. With computers that have fans running, I do this at least once a year. With a DVR type unit which I think only has a small fan, you might only have to do this once every two years or so.

If the room your TV is in has carpet, you might have to do it once a year or so. If you also smoke (or someone in the house does), and the unit is a few years old, there is a chance you might have to open it up. Nicotine/tar itself won't do damage really, but after so many years it does create a "sticky" layer on hotter/warmer object (such as chips in a computerized device such as a DVR), which in turn makes dust stick more easily.

Hope that helps.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1
reply to Erik1970
You should call for service and have the Receiver replaced-That is not normal from the remot-Go to menu-Setup-system test-info & test-(Select) more system info,That will display the current internal temp my HR22 temp is 108 F at this time.

If your is heating up and giveing you a error message then you need to call for service.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to Erik1970
Yup, definitely not normal. Mine runs consistently around 102F in a 75 degree room. These devices NEED good airflow, but consider that good airflow means intake and exhaust. Pretty sure the sides are the exhaust, so I'm guessing either (a) you've blocked the intake in the back, or (b) the fan isn't turning.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1250H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2011

Erik1970

Hummelstown, PA
Thanks for everyone's input. I figured that the temps were probably too high, but you never know these days with the way things are made as cheaply as possible.

I will call service today. On a related note, is there a way to backup the recorded shows for when they swap the unit out?.

westdc

Amissville, VA
No-if they replace the receiver all the shows go with it. So you will need to setup all your recording Links as well.

Go to receiver and write the links down (NOW) so you won't have to remember them.

Erik1970

Hummelstown, PA
reply to Erik1970
The overheating message came on again yesterday evening. I pulled the receiver out of the stand and found that the fan is not spinning. I couldn't get it to spin by giving the blades a push to get them moving. Not sure what the warranty period is, but I had signed up for the protection plan because we live in a rural are and get a lot of momentary power losses, so it didn't matter.

When I spoke to the tech support person, they suggested connecting an external hard drive to the old unit. The shows would then be copied to the external hard drive, which then could be hooked up to the new receiver. Not sure if this will actually work, but I am considering trying this, as we were running low on space anyway. Even if the transfer of the recorded shows doesn't work I will start off with more recording space.

westdc

Amissville, VA
Since you are PAYING for the Protection Plan- DO NOT spend the extra money $80-$100 to add a external drive that you will have to re-program as "NEW"-adding a drive will not save your recordings from a failing internal hard drive.

I strongly suggest you call back and have the unit replaced either with a service visit to go over your entire system & replace the unit. or HAVE them ship one to you for you to replace.

Either Option will not extend your commitment , BUT you are paying for the service (Protection Plan) SO it will be a FREE to you Service call.

CALL THE MAN A.S.A.P.

Erik1970

Hummelstown, PA
@wesdc:
The hard drive is not failing, the unit is overheating due to a dead fan, although at this point I'm sure that the hard drive is getting cooked pretty well and is probably on its way out. The unit is being replaced, they are shipping it to me.

I was hoping to get the recorded shows off of the old unit somehow, as I recorded a bunch of stuff when I had the free premium channels when I signed up at the beginning of the year and haven't had the time to watch all of it. I was told by tech support that adding the external drive would copy the existing data to the new drive, then I could hook it up to the new unit and have my old recordings. Hopefully this will work, if not I will still have the increased recording capacity on the new drive, so it will not be a total loss

westdc

Amissville, VA
The new drive will not copy the older recording over-it will load the new D* software on the NEW drive so it can be used, the only thing you will gain is extra recording space (empty)- Now if you wish to set up the NEW Drive--and record things you can--When you unplug the External Drive-and reboot the HDDVR it will boot from the internal disk and that is where you will find and be able to watch your old recording.

This can only be done by keeping the current HDDVR- as soon as you change it out (RECEIVER) your old shows on that drive go back to D* and are gone.

Good luck with your choice.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
How lame is DirecTv's programming staff? After all these years they can't figure out how to add a "Copy shows to external drive" option? Or even some process to save your subscriptions when a unit is replaced?
--
The Progressive's social model is as obsolete as slavery.

westdc

Amissville, VA
Lame has nothing to do with it--Thank the movie Industry for protecting their revenue stream.

herdfan
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV
said by westdc:

Lame has nothing to do with it--Thank the movie Industry for protecting their revenue stream.

Sorry, got to go with Lame. Dishnetwork allows external drives to be moved between units so this is a DirecTV thing, not a MPAA thing.

westdc

Amissville, VA
Sorry, I have more than three channels With D* so it is a MPAA

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:4
reply to herdfan
said by herdfan:

said by westdc:

Sorry, got to go with Lame. Dishnetwork allows external drives to be moved between units so this is a DirecTV thing, not a MPAA thing.

Dish Network still encrypts the drives though. They just have the drive encrypted to a code that is bound to the account, so you can't use it on a neighbors DVR, etc. But in principle he is correct: It is the MPAA that sets the rules here, Dish just thought of a more convenient way of doing it then DirecTV.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
reply to Erik1970
Sometimes a DVD recorder comes in very handy. Although I wouldn't want to try and back up an entire hard drive of video to DVD's. The last I checked the video police still hasn't stopped me from recording movies from my Dish system. They did finally stop the ability to record the PPV movies to the DVR so you could keep them indefinately.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network