Search similar:

uniqs

dsoegiarto
join:2010-04-16
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

TekSavvy Dry-Loop DSL + TP-Link TD-8616

Alright,

I'll be getting TS's dry loop next week and my brother gave me an extra modem he got laying around and I asked TS if I can use my own modem. They said fine, as long as it's a DSL modem, so i book my appointment next Monday.

The modem is a TP-Link TD-8616 which has no router capabilities, which is fine as I had issues setting router into a bridge mode in the past. However, reading at the manual, I should only set up the VPI and VCI ("provided by your ISP" says TP-Link manual).

I also have a D-link Wireless router at home that I've used with another provider and works great with a SpeedTouch-516 on Yak DSL.

Now here's the question. Where do I set PPoE info? Username/password? I had a few provider in the past and they all provide me with a username/password that is pre-set with the MODEM they sent (but sometimes if i need to reset it I can enter it again in the modem). User/pass is always set in the modem.

But the TD-8616 doesn't seem to have any spot I can set the user/password. My D-Link router can have the WAN connection set to PPoE and i can enter user/pass there, and TD-8616 said to have bridge mode. Is this where I set up my user/pass? Yak DSL modem, for comparison, has the user/pass in it, so in my wireless router, i just set the WAN to Dynamic IP and that's it.

Or does TekSavvy not using a user/pass/PPoE DSL?

Little confused and my networking skills is rusty.

Thanks for all the help!

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Hello,

Setup your TD-8616 in Bridge with VPI 0 & VCI 35
Setup your router to PPPoE & enter the user/pass we give you.

That's it.

Regards,
Martin

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

said by JenSuisUn:

Hello,

Setup your TD-8616 in Bridge with VPI 0 & VCI 35
Setup your router to PPPoE & enter the user/pass we give you.

That's it.

Regards,
Martin

One long winded paragraph worth of questions perfectly answered in 2.5 sentences.

Beautiful!

Thanks, Martin

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

En Enfer to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
I have this little bugger of modem right here. It have router capabilities but have only 1 ethernet port.

Login to the admin page, then go to Inteface Setup tab.
Under the Internet sub-tab, you'll see a drop-down menu "Virtual Circuit", choose "PVC2". The VPI and VCI will select 0/35.
A few lines down, you can select PPPoA/PPPoE.
Leave servicename blank, enter your username@teksavvy.com and password, and Encapsulation "PPPoE LLC". Connection: Always On. Leave the rest as it is, and click SAVE at the bottom.

Voilà.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

the 8816 will do this but not the 8616 as he stated he had.

You can still log into into it if you assign a static IP but there is no PPPoE feature on the 8616.

That's why I'll suggest going with an 8816 for a few extra bucks.

En Enfer
Montreal, QC

En Enfer

said by JenSuisUn:

the 8816 will do this but not the 8616 as he stated he had.

ARGH! There's a 8616 and a 8816?
Whose stupid idea was to differenciate 2 modem brands by changing a 6 by a 8? Those 2 numbers can be easily overseen as they look alike. Technology sucks.

But you're right, by checking the user manual, there's no place to enter username/password, but the PVC selection is there to affect the VPI/VCI, under Basic Setup, WAN Settings.

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

Ok, I just checked. The 8816 is $29 in CanadaComputers.... I got the 8616 for free.

Do you think it's worth spending out $30 for an upgrade to 8816?

En Enfer
Montreal, QC

En Enfer

said by dsoegiarto:

Ok, I just checked. The 8816 is $29 in CanadaComputers.... I got the 8616 for free.

Do you think it's worth spending out $30 for an upgrade to 8816?

Configure your D-Link router for PPPoE, and you'll be fine! The investment is worthless, unless you power off and on your router frequently.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

+1
nhs ice
join:2006-08-16
Toronto, ON

nhs ice to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
hey dsoegiarto,

If you live in apartment like me and getting a dryloop. Make sure you follow the bell tech until the demarc point has a signal and he connected to a proper wires up to your apartment to avoid something like me.

If you live in a house, that is simple thing to do since you have the access to demarc point and gl to you on your connection.

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

hi NHS. yup, apartment and getting a dryloop.

ill be having my router and modem all prep that morning, so as soon as he connected me to the demarc point ill be testing it all out and wont let him leave until i get connected

@En & Martin: thanks! ill stick with the 8616. will configure my D-Link DIR-600 for PPPoE. the past year i probably rebooted my router 3 times....
nhs ice
Toronto, ON

nhs ice to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
Did you get your internet setup yet? If yes, how is the speed? Mine is like shit. I look at the line status and those number is just a deja vu. This numbers is the same as I have with bell before and they have set me to 4.5mb fastpath or 6.0mb interleave. Now with Teksavvy, I got 1.4mb down/320-340kb up. I just hate fucking bell. I hate living under the mercy of this blue-devil

dsoegiarto
Ottawa, ON

dsoegiarto

said by nhs ice:

Did you get your internet setup yet? If yes, how is the speed? Mine is like shit. I look at the line status and those number is just a deja vu. This numbers is the same as I have with bell before and they have set me to 4.5mb fastpath or 6.0mb interleave. Now with Teksavvy, I got 1.4mb down/320-340kb up. I just hate fucking bell. I hate living under the mercy of this blue-devil

not yet. monday. will let u know.

i dont mind low speed but 1.4/320 is pretty darn low lol...
nhs ice
Toronto, ON

1 edit

nhs ice to dsoegiarto

to dsoegiarto
Freaking devilish are not this blue evil. They need the customer to call Tek and let Tek submit a ticket to them then things got solve. Right now, I have 4.0/0.5 but hope they can push it a little more. I know my line is capable of 6.0/0.8 because a bell tech had set it like that before and the connection was stable. I can live with 4.0/0.5 for now plus I have the red satan as a back-up since I am stuck with them for a year . I will call robber and lower down my speed again so I can save money .