Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

2 edits

4 recommendations

caffeinator

Premium Member

[Updated] Opera 11.50 officially released

quote:
Opera has officially released a new version of its desktop browser – Opera 11.50 – adding widget-like "extensions" to the familiar Speed Dial page that appears each time you open a new tab.
source

Get it here: »www.opera.com/?ref=home
What's new: »www.opera.com/browser/new/
Changelog for Windows: »www.opera.com/docs/chang ··· ws/1150/

I just did the in-place automatic upgrade from 11.11, and all is well. Verrry fast...feels even tighter and svelte than before.

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium Member
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY

PCInTech

Premium Member

Installed via auto update and it's AWESOME!!!! Love the extensions!

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member

1 recommendation

caffeinator

Premium Member

Something I thought was great:

A neighbor came over to print something for school off of the WWW and asked me how fast my Internet was because they were impressed... Then, was surprised to hear that it's about half the speed of his.

But, they use FF with a zillion plugins and I use Opera with none.
He also has a much better computer than I do...even better.

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

1 recommendation

ltsnow to caffeinator

Premium Member

to caffeinator
Thank you, caffeinator. As a die-hard Firefox fan, I must confess that Opera 11.50 is fantastic. I, of course, still use Firefox most of the time, but for just plain browsing Opera is so fast I can't believe it. The thing that got me to use Opera regularly was the fact that I can now use Fanboy's urlfiler.ini and it's just the same as having Adblock Plus in Firefox. That was the clincher.

caffeinator
Premium Member

2 recommendations

caffeinator

Premium Member

JFYI, if like me, you had the drop-down arrow disappear from the address bar and want it back this does the trick.

1. type in address bar >> opera:config >> hit enter
2. search for "drop"
3. check the box for "show dropdown button in addressfield"
4. hit save.

You can also just click in the address bar and hit the down arrow key.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to caffeinator

Premium Member

to caffeinator
Thanks for the heads up, caff!
All set here.
said by ltsnow:

...but for just plain browsing Opera is so fast I can't believe it.

I agree completely, ltsnow.
I use several Browsers and the speed of this thing always amazes me. I REALLY love Opera.
(Note that this is only my personal opinion, and mileage may vary among users..and we DON'T like "Browser wars" around here). Just sayin'
bt06437
join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX

bt06437 to caffeinator

to caffeinator
Super fast rendering, I do love Opera!

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 edit

chachazz to caffeinator

Premium Member

to caffeinator
Swordfish jumps out of the water

By Remigiusz Bondarowicz2beR. Tuesday, 28. June, 06:00
quote:
Today we released Opera 11.50 aka Swordfish. With its new streamlined body and highly powerful interior it becomes the most dangerous predator on the internet waters!

Opera Swordfish, with its innovative Speed Dial extensions, makes your Speed Dial more alive than ever before. Now you can get all the information you need straight from your Speed Dial, without the need to go to the page. All of this is made possible thanks to the smart Speed Dial extensions, which you can download and install from our addons portal.

Beside that, Opera 11.50 allows you to easily synchronize your passwords between computers.
This way you can access your favorite services, without repeatedly typing in your passwords on different computers.

Opera 11.50 is equipped with our newest rendering engine - Presto 2.9.168 -- featuring up to 20% faster rendering of CSS and SVG, support for HTML5 tag , Session History and Navigation and many other enhancements.

We would like to thank you all for helping us out with the testing and your constructive feedback. smile If you have Opera 11.50 RC5 installed, then you already have the final version.
Source: The Opera Desktop Team

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to caffeinator

Numquam oblita

to caffeinator
Thanks Mr Coffee

caffeinator
Premium Member

1 recommendation

caffeinator

Premium Member

said by lilhurricane:

Thanks Mr Coffee

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW

Premium Member

Thanks caffeinator See Profile got it via internal update.

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to caffeinator

Premium Member

to caffeinator
Good stuff thanks! Now here is an issue I have with this version and the last version. When I go to consumerist and open a story I cannot read the comments on it they just dont show up. I tried messing around with a few settings but so far nothing has worked. Also pdfs do not open with this version or the last version either so im wondering if the issue is related.

caffeinator
Premium Member

caffeinator

Premium Member

I tried Consumerist, and no dice for the comments either althought the site seems fine otherwise. When I looked at the error console there's boatload of errors reported...looks like an IE sort of site.

IDK about the pdf issue as I never open them in a browser; I just download them and open separately.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

2 edits

Dustyn to caffeinator

Premium Member

to caffeinator
Love this release!
I find it a bit odd that they "removed" the HOME and the FAST FORWARD buttons. And removed the drop down arrow icon as previously mentioned.

Maggie22
@telus.net

Maggie22 to caffeinator

Anon

to caffeinator
The last one I tested was 10.0 and I like it very much except I couldn't live with it, cause it lacks the capabilities to Zoom text/page for individual bookmarks and permanently remember it.

Does the 11.50 has this feature now?

Thanks.

caffeinator
Premium Member

caffeinator

Premium Member

you can zoom into/out of any page at anytime using the +/- buttons on yer keypad. The * returns to normal. Mouse is also used for zoom at the bottom right of the page. No, it doesn't remember a zoom...no browser does FAIK.

IDK what u mean by page\bookmarks...

Maggie22
@telus.net

Maggie22

Anon

said by caffeinator:

you can zoom into/out of any page at anytime using the +/- buttons on yer keypad. The * returns to normal. Mouse is also used for zoom at the bottom right of the page. No, it doesn't remember a zoom...no browser does FAIK.

IDK what u mean by page\bookmarks...

Thanks caffeinator, Firefox has this feature since FF3, it's FF5 now, lol.

Let's say I've 200+ bookmarks/favorites and CNN's text is too small on my 55" HDTV so in Firefox I Ctrl + to zoom in/Ctrl - to zoom out or Ctrl 0 to reset the whole page and whenever I visit CNN again, FireFox remembers my Zoom/preference (even after clearing all cookies or even rebooting the PC).....and this is a must have feature cause on some web page, the text is OK or it would auto adjust to the screen size, but some some just wouldn't, like CNN!

I have like 200+ bookmarks/favorites items and Firefox can keeps all those settings in a tiny file "content-prefs.sqlite" of merely 30kb.

What's browsing like if one has to always zoom in/out on the same page that you visit several times a day, everyday?

caffeinator
Premium Member

caffeinator

Premium Member

I have a 22" LCD@1680x1050 I'm sitting about a foot away from...so I wouldn't know.

I have bookmarks dating back to the days of Netscape, well over 1400 of 'em. But, only about 25 or so of the most used are in view as favicons on my "personal bar".

There might be a feature or extension for what you want, I just haven't ever had the need for it.
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to caffeinator

to caffeinator
Thanks I always love using Opera as my secondary browser! Hopefully one day it can become my default! I have tried but always end up going back to Firefox because of a add-on missing. Hopefully Opera gets all the same add-ons. The almost have it now but not quite there yet. There is still a few little things missing and that is just as important.

Opera proves that Norwegians rock and always will! They don't have the best living standard for nothing! When it comes to the leader of creating new browser ideas and risks Opera is #1. No risk is to big for them. They are never scared like many of the others.

Rogue Wolf
An Easy Draw of a Sad Few
join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Rogue Wolf to caffeinator

to caffeinator
said by caffeinator:

JFYI, if like me, you had the drop-down arrow disappear from the address bar and want it back this does the trick.

THANK you! I noticed that the arrow had disappeared and just facepalmed. Why do they keep making pointless changes like that with updates? I mean, I love the browser, but it seems like every update does something stupid that I have to change back.

I'm still miffed that a previous update started putting saved bookmarks on the top of the list instead of the bottom. So I'm easily miffed, sue me.

caffeinator
Premium Member

3 edits

3 recommendations

caffeinator to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Love this release!
I find it a bit odd that they "removed" the HOME and the FAST FORWARD buttons.

Odd, I still have them. Well, I removed the Home button as I don't use a home page...just blank for me.

I tried changing to all five skins I have currently, and they all had nav arrows. That can be very dependent on the skin though.

(using the old Breeze II v4.15 skin...customized a wee bit)

Easy enough to put it or any other button where you want it:

1. shift+F12 to open up the "appearance" dialog, then go to the Buttons tab.

2. click on Browser

3. drag a button to where you want it on your address bar.

Virtually anything in Opera can be customized.