ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

1 edit

3 recommendations

jmorlan

MVM

[App Update] Microsoft Security Essentials 2.1.116.0

Download

Will presumably be pushed via Windows Update eventually.

As usual there is no change log.

Willies13
Premium Member
join:2009-09-28
Montpelier, OH

Willies13

Premium Member

Thanks .

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to jmorlan

to jmorlan
Thanks jmorlan! It's interesting, this new MSE client install created a task scheduler that checks the definition when idle.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA

jmorlan

MVM

Are you sure that MpIdleTask checks for definitions when idle? What little I can find suggest that it scans your computer when idle.

bluepoint

bluepoint

said by jmorlan:

Are you sure that MpIdleTask checks for definitions when idle? What little I can find suggest that it scans your computer when idle.

Well, I just checked the schedule's "action" when trigerred and it runs "mpcmdrun.exe" however, I'm not sure what the switch(-IdleTask -TaskName MpIdleTask) does. So you're saying it will run a scan when idle instead?

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

said by bluepoint:

Well, I just checked the schedule's "action" when trigerred and it runs "mpcmdrun.exe" however, I'm not sure what the switch(-IdleTask -TaskName MpIdleTask) does. So you're saying it will run a scan when idle instead?

Right. I might be wrong, but the syntax is not the same as for getting new definitions. My understanding is that this task is not new with this version, but may have been hidden in previous versions. It has been around since the release of v2.

bluepoint

bluepoint

said by jmorlan:

said by bluepoint:

Right. I might be wrong, but the syntax is not the same as for getting new definitions. My understanding is that this task is not new with this version, but may have been hidden in previous versions. It has been around since the release of v2.

It's probably hidden before but with this update, this is the first time I saw it in the scheduler. I knew it's new since I check the scheduler everytime there is an update making sure the definition update I created there is still intact. Thanks.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to jmorlan

Premium Member

to jmorlan
Although announced via a third party site all the information points to the correct places
siljaline

siljaline to jmorlan

Premium Member

to jmorlan
Perhaps this MS KB can serve as a changelog ?

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
join:2003-01-23
Texas

deke40

Premium Member

I kept thinking it would come through on an update but decided to
go ahead and download it. After downloading it I tried to start it and got this error message. Had to do a system restore.

Guess I will wait awhile and see if it will come in on an update.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

Sorry to read of your woes, deke40 See Profile
Ask at the MSE Board perhaps someone there can help you.

Best of luck.

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
join:2003-01-23
Texas

2 edits

deke40 to jmorlan

Premium Member

to jmorlan
I went to the link you posted and they suggest getting rid of all other security type programs including MBAM, which I have the Pro version of, and that is not going to happen. I have been running this setup since MSE came out wih no problems. Might have to switch to one of the other programs. I can get Norton 360 free from Comcast.

PS-Decided to just wait for the update through Windows Update then see what happens.
deke40

1 recommendation

deke40 to jmorlan

Premium Member

to jmorlan
Just couldn't leave it alone.

I followed some advice about uninstalling and reinstalling MSE completely and it worked. No more error code.

Did notice that the first Quick Scan took over 10 minutes. Hope that was just a first time thing.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA

jmorlan

MVM

Glad you got it working!

I just did a quick scan which took under one minute to complete.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to deke40

Premium Member

to deke40
Good job, deke40 See Profile