BIGMIKE
Q
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Gainesville, FL

BIGMIKE

Premium Member

California sales tax drops by a penny Friday

California's sales tax is about to drop by a penny, to a statewide rate of 7.25 percent. The change takes effect Friday, with the expiration of the tax hikes approved by the Legislature in February 2009.

»www.sacbee.com/2011/06/2 ··· -by.html

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

shortckt

Premium Member

It's about time too. The vehicle license fee (VLF) portion of DMV registration also drops to the old rate on July 1... just in time for me to register both my rust heaps, that is if the DMV ever manages to mail out the registration forms this year.

»www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/news ··· wals.htm

sholling
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA

sholling to BIGMIKE

Premium Member

to BIGMIKE
Now if we could just roll back all of the other "temporary" sales tax increases.

BotenAnna
Premium Member
join:2011-07-19
Fullerton, CA

BotenAnna to BIGMIKE

Premium Member

to BIGMIKE
Nice! I'm generally not against taxes, but sales tax is extremely regressive. Though I'd happily take a sales tax hike if it meant they'd build the high speed rail already, ha.

sholling
Premium Member
Hemet, CA

sholling

Premium Member

said by BotenAnna:

Nice! I'm generally not against taxes, but sales tax is extremely regressive. Though I'd happily take a sales tax hike if it meant they'd build the high speed rail already, ha.

Feel free to donate your income to the state. They'll take it all if you like.

BotenAnna
Premium Member
join:2011-07-19
Fullerton, CA

1 edit

BotenAnna

Premium Member

I don't see taxes as a furnace that my money burns in, I see it as payment for services rendered. I'd prefer more services--like a high speed rail, or public health care.

Or, you know, actually enforcing anti-trust laws for greater broadband competition

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma

Premium Member

We have a discussion history with respect to high speed rail (HSR), so perhaps you can introduce something new. Here are some questions:

Q.) Considering the population density of the State, where should HSR be implemented (between where and where)?

Q.) Should HSR be a public (tax) funded enterprise?

Q.) If so, what would be the ROI for the State as a whole?

Q.) Are there alternatives to HSR?

calidude
@markandsveta.com

calidude to BotenAnna

Anon

to BotenAnna
said by BotenAnna:

I don't see taxes as a furnace that my money burns in, I see it as payment for services rendered. I'd prefer more services--like a high speed rail, or public health care.

Or, you know, actually enforcing anti-trust laws for greater broadband competition

I have a problem with that idea. When I have someone come out and paint my house, I can get quotes from multiple different companies which forces them to be price competitive as well as provide actual service. That idea doesn't exist for government programs, as well as the fact that due to organizations that if they were actual companies would be broken apart by anti-trust legislation we pay for more for those services then elsewhere.

With respect to HSR, if the idea was really that good private companies would have stepped in at least in some fashion. The only private companies that have stepped in here are the big companies vying for the contracts from the government.

We (meaning middle class) already pay more in this state then anywhere else by a significant number and in return our 2 major north/south highways get "rough road" signs for over a year while we instead spend money for toll roads that in turn create another tax to increase government revenues while doing nothing to fix the actual real problems.

We've reached a point of diminishing returns and I don't feel like supporting a system that isn't providing what it is being paid to provide.

sholling
Premium Member
Hemet, CA

sholling to BotenAnna

Premium Member

to BotenAnna
said by BotenAnna:

Why not have those that choose to use those services pay for them? Or does that defeat the goal of forcing someone else pick up your tab? Again the state will happily take all of your money so feel free to send it to them - nobody will stop you. It's when you reach for my wallet and tell me that I have to pay for goodies for you that you'll get your hand slapped.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to BIGMIKE

Premium Member

to BIGMIKE
Looks like I bought my new-to-me truck at the right time. I guess I will just have to wait a few more days before letting the state know about it.