how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Enz

@verizon.net

Making Netgear primary router with Verizon FIOs

Hello All,

I just moved over to Verizon FIOs and to my surprise, my original router was not connected as part of the install which Verizon have already told me the reasons for this. However, this doesn't solve my problem. I would like to use my router for the simple reason that I need the faster 'N' speed and the superior parental controls features. Not to mention, I am comfortable using Netgear equipment and have everything nicely setup including port forwarding etc.

Would it be possible to connect the Netgear and make it as the primary router (routing and wireless) as I was told this was not possible as bridging the modem would impact the DVR and on demand functionality of the service. I have the ActionTec router which is the MI424-WR rev. E.

Would appreciate any help on this as this is potentially a deal breaker for me and I am close to going back to my previous cable provider!

Thanks in advance!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32

Enz

@verizon.net
Thanks for the quick response - I actually looked at these articles and am a little confused with all the different options available. It seems that if I want to turn my router into the primary router, then I will loose some FIOs functionality correct? I actually followed the third document down and am able to use my router just fine as a secondary but want to make into the primary. Can this be done as suggested later in that document by simply reversing the routers? It seems too easy and I am missing something here... for example, would I not need to plug the cat5 cable into the WAN port of my Netgear router which is not mentioned in the instructions as its LAN to LAN connectivity?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by Enz :

It seems that if I want to turn my router into the primary router, then I will loose some FIOs functionality correct?

All listed options retain guide data, VOD and widgets.
Only option #8 (three router) retains remote DVR and on-screen caller-id.
said by Enz :

I actually followed the third document down and am able to use my router just fine as a secondary but want to make into the primary. Can this be done as suggested later in that document by simply reversing the routers?

You haven't said if you WAN connection is provisioned over coax or cat5.

If your WAN connection is provisioned over coax, you need to have it switched to cat5.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 1): Coax to Ethernet

Once your WAN connection is on cat5, then yes, you can switch the order of the routers. The only thing you lose is remote DVR and on-screen caller-id functionality.

When switching the order of the routers, be sure to release your WAN DHCP lease, or you will have trouble acquiring a DHCP lease on the new router.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.