Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

[BETA] PlayLater (from PlayOn)

»www.playon.tv/playlater/

Record anytime. Watch anytime, anywhere.

Introducing PlayLater, the DVR for online video. Record your favorite online TV shows, movies, live sports and more!

PlayLater is groundbreaking new technology that gives you the freedom to record your favorite online videos and enjoy them on your schedule, even if you aren't connected to the internet. As more and more of you are getting your favorite shows online, we felt that it was high time the rest of your entertainment technology caught up. After all, the same reasons that apply to recording TV shows and movies in the old world apply to the new world, right? Convenience, access, and frankly – sometimes you don’t have an Internet connection available and that shouldn’t bar you from watching your favorite shows. The future of entertainment is online and now you can record the future.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57

Nice, darc..thanks!

planetlowe
Premium
join:2006-01-28
Norfolk, VA
reply to darcilicious

I've been using PlayOn since it was in beta and I was excited to hear about PlayLater, until I used it. It actually embeds DRM in the videos it records. This means I couldn't even stream it via PlayOn to my TV or through Windows Media Center. Did I miss a setting somewhere or am I right in assuming this is what happened?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Yeah, I didn't know about the DRM bit either when I first posted. Somewhere in the user's guide it mentions that you can only playback "recordings" on the computer that recorded them.

TannyG

@PLBB.US

I tried PlayLater today, I am unable to get any recordings to play. It looks like the recording has a .plv extension. Windows Media Player won't play it and neither will VLC Player.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

They're DRM'd -- they should play on the same computer with the PlayLater/PlayOn software.

UmmaGumma

join:2011-06-19
reply to TannyG

said by TannyG :

I tried PlayLater today, I am unable to get any recordings to play.

Have you rebooted your PC after installing PlayLater? After a reboot, you should be able to play them in Windows Media player.