spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MGMUser

@hservinc.org

DOCSIS 3.0 trying to come up in Montgomery?

Early Thursday morning (approx 12:30am) my internet stopped working. I'm using my own Motorola SB6120. There was no change on the status lights (all green except for the LINK light). I rebooted the modem, and noticed that the RECEIVE light came up and stayed on blue. Hooray! DOCSIS 3!

Not so fast. The internet was up for about 60 secs. Then everything stopped, and about 10 seconds later, the modem rebooted. I left it alone all day, as I had to get to work. Last night, it was still doing the same thing. Online for about 60 seconds, then modem reboots. I pulled the power connecter out for about 30 minutes, but no change. I reset the modem back to "defaults" in the modem web page.

If I disconnect the coax from the modem, it will boot up, and stay up indefinitely. Once I connect the coax, if finishes connecting to Knology's network, stays online for about 60 secs, then reboots.

It's a model SB6160, about 6 months old.

The firmware name is

SB6120-1.0.1.8-SCM02-NOSH

Boot version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1

Hardware version: 3.0

Haven't had time to call Knology yet, but will try this evening. Being that this is a holiday weekend, I'm not looking forward to an extended outage. I was wondering of any of my Montgomery brethren are seeing anything. Also, are there any other SB6120 users with Knology that can offer any advice?

Many thanks!

browncoat

join:2008-12-02
Montgomery, AL
Thanks for the update! Maybe they weren't lying when they said August. I'll keep my eyes peeled and reboot the modem every now and again.

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
Just spoke with Knology and they said Montgomery is the only location that does not have DOCSIS 3 yet. They said either July or August, with more HD channels as well. Take it for what it is worth.

MGMUser

@hservinc.org
I talked with Knology tech support on Friday evening. They told me my signal strength was only at 20% of normal, and they needed to send a tech out, but couldn't do it until Tuesday since they were operating with a skeleton crew because of the holiday. She wouldn't/couldn't confirm or deny that DOCSIS 3.0 had anything to do with the problem, or even if they were trying to turn it up in Montgomery. I'll know more this evening. Keeping my fingers crossed!

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
It has been my experience the techs on the street know far more than the sales weasels in the office. Hopefully you can get a straight answer from someone that knows what the real deal is. Keep us informed.

MGMUser

@hservinc.org
UPDATE: turns out that early Thursday morning (1am-ish), Knology updated the "C Hub" in Montgomery to DOCSIS 3. The tech said that the C Hub is basically east of the Eastern Boulevard. Thursday morning, they started getting reports of people's modems constantly rebooting. It turns out that this particular Motorola modem (SB6160) doesn't quite work with their equipment. I told him that was strange because users in other Knology markets were using this very modem with no problem. It seems to be a firmware issue. My modem has the "retail" firmware (1.0.1.8), and I'm assuming that others that have this modem working have a newer firmware. The tech said that the issue has been escalated to Level 5 tech support, and that the responsibility is on Knology to get it fixed. He was very polite and apologetic. As soon as he saw my modem, he knew exactly what the problem was. In the meantime, he has installed a "loaner" modem to get me back online, until Knology and Motorola can figure out a solution. When they do, he'll arrange to re-install my modem. I was his 4th Motorola problem that day, and he still had 3 more after me.
So if anyone is having a problem with the Motorola SB6160, be sure to call tech support so they can get you a loaner.

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
Thanks for the update. I'm just glad they are finally moving forward with this. I know not everyone can be first and somebody has to be last, and in this case Montgomery is indeed last. And of all the hubs, I'm sure mine will be the last and the people on the other side of the street will have theirs before I have mine.

PrattUser

@knology.net
reply to MGMUser
I live in Prattville and my modem is a SB6120. My link light has been red for several weeks, however my internet works same as before. My receive light is blue. Anybody else experienced this?

BiGdUsTy

join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL
kudos:1
Red link light indicates modem is connected to router/pc at 100Mbps. If you have a router/pc with gigabit nic it will turn blue.

Receive light blue means that channel bonding is active on the Arris C4 CMTS that feeds your area.

PrattUser

@knology.net
I do have a gigabit nic and it was blue prior to a couple of weeks ago. I assumed it had something to do with the transition to Docsis 3.0.

PrattUser

@knology.net
I rebooted just to see what that would do and for the last hour the link light is blue. Maybe just a glitch somewhere but this is the first time that has happened.

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
Looks like I'm live with DOCSIS 3.0 speeds, or close to it anyways.

montuser

@ups.com
Guess i will go home and check today! woohoo

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
Here at work we are still on the slow side of things, but we aren't on a DOCSIS 3 modem either. So who knows? The boss thinks we shouldn't have to buy another modem, that the old modem should magically evolve to newer technology.

I know it means nothing, but I was playing around with the Knology speedtest site last night and it was going nuts. Most of the time I got reliable readings, but once it pegged at 172 meg down.

montuser

@knology.net
Looks like DOCSIS 3 is go. Finally speedtest shows 16 down 2 up at 7 in the evening. no complaints here

montuser

@knology.net
well then again my modem status still shows docsis 2 but the speeds are there. So it's in progress

zpm

join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA
as long as you have a d2 modem, it will say d2.

MGMUser

@hservinc.org
Hmm, no increased speed as of 7:30am this morning at my location. I rebooted the modem last night, and again this morning. Maybe they haven't turned up the speed on my Hub yet. (along the Eastern Blvd, near I-85)

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
Here at work (Eastern Blvd, just west of 1-85) we still have the old slow speed. But at home (Highland Gardens are) I'm rockin' and rollin'.

MGMUser

@hservinc.org
Any update on this? I'm still at the old speed. I reboot my modem every evening when I get home. Still get the Blue LED, and the modem status shows 4 channels for download, but I've seen no speed increase. Anyone else in Montgomery seeing "normal" speeds, or DOCSIS 3 speeds?

nightshade74
Yet another genxer
Premium
join:2004-11-06
Prattville, AL
reply to browncoat
said by browncoat:

Here at work (Eastern Blvd, just west of 1-85) we still have the old slow speed.

My work has an office off Eastern Blvd. My account rep told us it would be "early October".

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
reply to MGMUser
We still don't have the higher speeds at work, and we are in your general vicinity. I'd call and raise hades if it were me.

straximus

join:2011-09-28
reply to MGMUser
Getting 18/19Mb down, but still only 320Kb up. In Forest Hills area off of Perry Hill Rd.

straximus

join:2011-09-28
Just remembered that I have QoS setup on my router. I'm getting the proper 2Mb up now.

MGMUser

@hservinc.org
Well, almost middle of October, and still no change. Cable modem still shows 4 bonded channels, (as is has since the middle of July), but still not speed increase. 6-ish down, 380k up. Knology support (on 3 occasions in the past 2 months) has told me "real soon now". Does anyone have any info/success/failure stories to share? I'm just off Eastern Blvd, behind the old Sam's, supposedly on the "C" hub, according to the tech. I reboot the modem about every other night, and hope "maybe today...", but so far, no joy.

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
Knology says that as of October 18th, all hubs have been switched over to DOCSIS 3. We do not have a DOCSIS 3 modem here at work so I cannot verify this. Just throwing this out there.

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
Reviews:
·Charter

Result at work with Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

jmadden

join:2005-04-11
Montgomery, AL
Browncoat, can you tell me what version of the firmware your modem is using? I have the exact same modem, but am still getting 6MB down, and 386k up. I reboot the modem almost every night. I realize I won't get your speeds, but DOCSIS 3.0 should give me 12MB down if memory serves.

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
I don't have a clue. We ordered this from Amazon last Friday and got it on Tuesday. The only thing I can tell you is that Knology says all the city has been switched to the higher speeds as of a week or two ago. At work we did have to call and tell the we were paying for the 30/5 service, at home I didn't, the speeds just jumped up.

If you can tell me how to check the firmware version I'll be glad to post that. In the meantime, I'd call and raise heck with Knology.

jmadden

join:2005-04-11
Montgomery, AL
If you look at the modem's web page (it's »192.168.100.1 on mine), and look at the Help tab, it will show the Firmware Name. Mine is
SB6120-1.0.1.8-SCM02-NOSH

Knology is sending a tech next week.

Thanks for you help!