how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gsm

join:2009-03-10
Boulder, CO

comcast and vpns

Does comcast allow vpns. I need one for when I go over seas so I can watch netflix and I hear the private vpns are the way to go when dealing with the great firewall of china also I dont want to fork over 49.99+ to witopia for a service that may or may not work depending on how aggressive the Chinese are with blocking them. I am also switching to business class before I leave

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
nothing against a vpn.....

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to gsm

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to gsm
You can certainly run a VPN service on your Comcast connection. I have done so in the past using a residential connection, and I currently run both IPSEC and PPTP VPN servers on my business class connection.

The only problem I have occasionally seen is that some public hot spots and corporate networks may block outgoing VPN connections. That is why I run both IPSEC and PPTP servers, since I have found that sometimes only one of those methods were blocked.

If you do switch to a business class service, I would suggest that you get at least one static IP address, because I have also run into cases where some DDNS domains were blocked by corporate firewalls (and I would not be surprised if the great firewall of China also did this).
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to fonzbear2000
And here is the official Comcast Xfinity policy for residential use of VPNs:

Can I use a VPN connection on the XFINITY Internet service?

Comcast permits the use of VPN connections so long as they are used in accordance with our applicable terms of service and policies, including, but not limited to, solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Comcast does not provide technical or other support for VPN connections. For help setting up, using, or troubleshooting your VPN connection, please contact your VPN provider.

There is of course, no such non-commercial use restriction for business class service.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

gsm

join:2009-03-10
Boulder, CO
reply to gsm
Thanks because of the aggressive blocking in china I was going to run both ipsec and PPTP so I should be ok. At least now I know I can do this thanks