uniqs
share rss forum feed

God
THE Dslr Troll
Premium
join:2002-07-01
Colorado Springs, CO

[OTA] Cut my DirectTV, now need some help with choosing antenna

First off let me say thanks in advance, I went to tvfool »www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp···3939a204 and plugged in my address and that graph. I am going to be roof mounting my antenna and just want to hear some opinions on what would be a good antenna for me. I was looking at something like a DB4, overkill? Not good enough?

Wise people of DSLR, I need your help ^.^

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2

Re: [OTA] Cut my DirectTV, now need some help with choosing ante

Denny's TV Antenna »www.dennysantennaservice.com/Bes···nna.html

Ask for recommendation at »www.dennysantennaservice.com/ant···ion.html

Comparative Test results at
»www.dennysantennaservice.com/Bes···nna.html

»www.dennysantennaservice.com/ez_···nna.html

or

»store03.prostores.com/servlet/de···D/Detail

The DB4 is good but not designed to pick up the VHF signals. You have got 1 on real channel 8(PBS). I would go with Denny's stacker at
»store03.prostores.com/servlet/de···D/Detail.

The other issue is you have signals coming from 213 and 261. You might need to get an additional antenna, the EZ-HD at »www.dennysantennaservice.com/ez_···nna.html and use a combiner to get real channels 41, 21, and 14.

God
THE Dslr Troll
Premium
join:2002-07-01
Colorado Springs, CO

Is there any cheaper quality alternative? 129 is a bit of money to spend on an antenna when there are other cheaper ones out there.

Would the other channels, (ABC,NBC,FOx) still be able to be picked up well with the db4 or other similar antennas?

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to God

OTA not even possible here. (Though MIA 150 mi away claims us as their market making Sat distant locals no longer possible, aand without cable or sat their signal either)

And personally there is almost nothing I watch on broadcast TV these days. It pretty much all NON reality BS.

But for a few drama and news shows, even the later its only now and then, when its not reality who screwed/killed who BS....and after an hour usually they never answer.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2
reply to God

You are very close to the towers. The DB4 will do fine, but the 261 degree stations will probably be unstable, if you aim directly at the 213 towers. The first thing you may want to to try is a low cost real rabbit ears or indoor antenna. $10 to $20. No climbing on roof, no mounting brackets, no long lengths of cable. Again, once you get the 213 stations you are set, but you will probably not get the 261 stations to be stable. Once you have to pick up signals more than 30 degrees off the main alignment, I find the station that is off axis is unstable with lots of freezes. You could try aiming at about 237 degrees and see if you can get everything. But be prepared to rotate again to clear up the signal.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by davidhoffman:

You are very close to the towers.

Agree - If that doesn't work try an attic mount. It is hard to predict the effects of building construction but it is worth a try since you are in such a strong signal area.

Even though the DB4 is UHF only KTSC (RF 8) is so strong will probably work fine.

Since stations of interest are at two different headings 213 & 261 degrees may need to play around with aiming. If attic mount doesn't work then stick it on the roof.

May want to post your question in the AV Science HDTV technical forum for more ideas about the optimum antenna.
»www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdis···php?f=25

/tom

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to God

said by God:

First off let me say thanks in advance, I went to tvfool »www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp···3939a204 and plugged in my address and that graph. I am going to be roof mounting my antenna and just want to hear some opinions on what would be a good antenna for me. I was looking at something like a DB4, overkill? Not good enough?

Wise people of DSLR, I need your help ^.^

Yes over kill. Singals are great. This is all you need. $13 at radioshack

»www.radioshack.com/product/index···=2103077