spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mog

@optonline.net

Simultaneous hdmi and component output?

Does anyone know if cablevision carries a cablebox that is able to output hdmi and component at the same time?

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Nope, only Coax and one of the video outputs (HDMI, Component) at the same time. HDCP won't allow 2 video outputs at the same time.

mog

@optonline.net
Ok, thanks. I have quite a noticeable quality difference when using component and hdmi from the 8300hd. I've read that it could be the box itself? Any idea if other boxes look better with component?

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to kickass69
said by kickass69:

HDCP won't allow 2 video outputs at the same time.

Not entirely true -- while CV's boxes may not allow it, the TivoHD & Tivo Premier, which are both HDCP compliant, allow simultaneous outputs from HDMI & Component/Optical (as well as from the other analog outputs as well - S-Video/Composite).

CV's HDCP configuration on the SA boxes is a bit draconian - it appears as though the SA boxes are not able to do key exchange with the TV for HDMI when any of the other outputs are enabled.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Well I should've said HDCP configuration on CV's boxes to be accurate.

I wonder though if it's the boxes themselves, CV's policy or the broadcasters having a say in that.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to mog
Not really...it could simply be HDMI looks better on your HDTV then Component does. Also HDMI always wins out over Component more times than not due to it being a digital signal from end of end. With Component, it's an analog connection which needs to be converted to digital. HDMI connections keep the audio and video signal in the digital domain as long as possible, and this can prevent generational loss as the signal moves from source component to receiver or processor to display device.

RickNY
Premium
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to mog
I have no idea. I just know I have the HDMI output of my Tivo Premiere going to an HDMI splitter, and additionally had the composite video and analog audio outputs going to a Slingbox. The HDMI output of the Tivo goes to a Monoprice HDMI 1x2 Splitter.. Then the outputs go to 1) Denon AVR-2309CI receiver and b) an Insignia LCD TV. Prior to the HDMI splitter, this Tivo had the component output and the optical digital audio output going to the Denon AVR-2309CI, and the HDMI output going to the Insignia TV, and the composite video/analog audio going to the Slingbox.

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1
reply to mog
I use them both on my SA8300HD. Component to the TV and HDMI through the home theater to the TV. I can switch between inputs and they both work fine. Technically I'm not using them both at the "same time" but they can both be hooked up.

cvtech

@optonline.net
said by RemyM:

I use them both on my SA8300HD. Component to the TV and HDMI through the home theater to the TV. I can switch between inputs and they both work fine. Technically I'm not using them both at the "same time" but they can both be hooked up.

Try using the component to the tv while the home theater is on. If the box senses something connected to the HDMI it will not give a picture on components. If yours works differently I would be VERY surprised as many people want to use both and can't.

RickNY
Premium
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by cvtech :

Try using the component to the tv while the home theater is on. If the box senses something connected to the HDMI it will not give a picture on components. If yours works differently I would be VERY surprised as many people want to use both and can't.

And this is where I will emphasize that on a TIVO, all of these outputs are enabled simultaneously. And the Tivo is fully HDCP compliant. Additionally, prior to the Tivo, I had a 4250HD, and that box behaved in a similar fashion.. So I am not certain if something has changed with the CV boxes -- I just know in my situation, I have always been able to use both HD outputs, (as well as the SD outputs) simultaneously, on either Tivo or a CV box.

I think it really comes down to the devices you are connecting to with the HDMI -- some are better than others at negotiating an HDCP handshake.

cvtech

@optonline.net
said by RickNY:

said by cvtech :

And this is where I will emphasize that on a TIVO, all of these outputs are enabled simultaneously. And the Tivo is fully HDCP compliant. Additionally, prior to the Tivo, I had a 4250HD, and that box behaved in a similar fashion.. So I am not certain if something has changed with the CV boxes -- I just know in my situation, I have always been able to use both HD outputs, (as well as the SD outputs) simultaneously, on either Tivo or a CV box.

I think it really comes down to the devices you are connecting to with the HDMI -- some are better than others at negotiating an HDCP handshake.

I have seen equipment where simultaneous outputs were used. I just haven't seen it on the cablevision boxes.

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1
reply to cvtech
said by cvtech :

said by RemyM:

No problem using component to the TV with home theater on. I can switch between inputs and both work. I have on old Sony CRT HDTV and a Sony HTS with a SA8300HD cable box.

cvtech

@optonline.net
said by RemyM:

said by cvtech :

said by RemyM:

No problem using component to the TV with home theater on. I can switch between inputs and both work. I have on old Sony CRT HDTV and a Sony HTS with a SA8300HD cable box.

Maybe when the hdmi input is not being used on the home theater it doesn't send voltage back to the box. I wonder if you hook up another TV to the components if you could have a picture on both TVs. I have never seen both outputs working at the same time, but I thought originally, years back, you could use both at the same time.

kjharris

join:2009-11-25
Huntington Station, NY
My experience with the 4250HD box is that it will not ouptut through HDMI and component at the same time. As soon as you connect the second one, the original one deactivates. When I contacted Cablevision about this and managed to get to a "real" cable tech, I was told that both outputs cannot be active at the same time(for the 4250 box). I got an email from them also stating the same thing. Finally, I do have an 8300 box but have never tried using both outputs simultaneously so I can't say if it will work on that box.