how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

browncoat

join:2008-12-02
Montgomery, AL
reply to browncoat

Re: DOCSIS 3.0 trying to come up in Montgomery?

Just spoke with Knology and they said Montgomery is the only location that does not have DOCSIS 3 yet. They said either July or August, with more HD channels as well. Take it for what it is worth.

MGMUser

@hservinc.org
I talked with Knology tech support on Friday evening. They told me my signal strength was only at 20% of normal, and they needed to send a tech out, but couldn't do it until Tuesday since they were operating with a skeleton crew because of the holiday. She wouldn't/couldn't confirm or deny that DOCSIS 3.0 had anything to do with the problem, or even if they were trying to turn it up in Montgomery. I'll know more this evening. Keeping my fingers crossed!

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
It has been my experience the techs on the street know far more than the sales weasels in the office. Hopefully you can get a straight answer from someone that knows what the real deal is. Keep us informed.

MGMUser

@hservinc.org
UPDATE: turns out that early Thursday morning (1am-ish), Knology updated the "C Hub" in Montgomery to DOCSIS 3. The tech said that the C Hub is basically east of the Eastern Boulevard. Thursday morning, they started getting reports of people's modems constantly rebooting. It turns out that this particular Motorola modem (SB6160) doesn't quite work with their equipment. I told him that was strange because users in other Knology markets were using this very modem with no problem. It seems to be a firmware issue. My modem has the "retail" firmware (1.0.1.8), and I'm assuming that others that have this modem working have a newer firmware. The tech said that the issue has been escalated to Level 5 tech support, and that the responsibility is on Knology to get it fixed. He was very polite and apologetic. As soon as he saw my modem, he knew exactly what the problem was. In the meantime, he has installed a "loaner" modem to get me back online, until Knology and Motorola can figure out a solution. When they do, he'll arrange to re-install my modem. I was his 4th Motorola problem that day, and he still had 3 more after me.
So if anyone is having a problem with the Motorola SB6160, be sure to call tech support so they can get you a loaner.

browncoat

Montgomery, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
Thanks for the update. I'm just glad they are finally moving forward with this. I know not everyone can be first and somebody has to be last, and in this case Montgomery is indeed last. And of all the hubs, I'm sure mine will be the last and the people on the other side of the street will have theirs before I have mine.