uniqs
share rss forum feed

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
kudos:1

[Serious] Recommended wireless routers???

I note that fatness has started moving technical posts in what is the now defunct UK Broadband forum over here, so I'll just go ahead and post my question here.

The house in Shropshire started up as a hovel, as I understand it, about 150 years ago. Over the years, it was reconstructed and expanded, but in places the walls are between 1.5 and 2.0 feet thick, mostly stone. This doesn't work well for a wireless home router in the first place and we have to rather carefully decide where to locate the PCs and the router itself.

Everything seems to work okay until I show up with my laptop and Android phone. The laptop seems okay, but the Android phone seems to have problems holding a Wi-Fi connection to the router. (There are also two other desktop PCs in the house that rely on Wi-Fi connectivity.)

When the phone loses the Wi-Fi connection, trying to reconnect (even standing beside the router) simply won't work, not will restarting the phone. For some odd reason, it seems to be necessary to recycle the router itself and then I can get a connection (from the phone) which may last for a half-hour or so before losing it again. This is with the phone sitting on the kitchen table right near my laptop, which just keeps on without a hiccup.

I'm thinking we may need a wireless NAT router for the house that puts out a bit more power on the transmission side (or perhaps has a bit more sensitivity on the reception side) than the generic routers we've gotten from a variety of ISPs over the years. So, does anyone have any recommendations? I've tried doing some online searches, but I'm somewhat hampered because I don't know what to call this kind of router. Any help would be appreciated.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Pjr
Don't Panic

join:2005-12-11
UK

1 edit
Have you considered a homeplug?

I don't know why the phone messes with the router but if it was free when you signed up with your ISP I doubt it would be the best.

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
I think we've got those, but will check with wifey for confirmation. Thanks.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
reply to jvmorris
I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction but I used to have a US laptop that would (99 times out of a hundred) refuse to recognise my UK Wi-Fi router. Turned out that when I edited the Windows registry and changed the wireless interface country code from US to GB the problem disappeared. To me your problem sounds similar to my own - though I could of course be completely wrong.

What model router do you have? My Wi-Fi router has a wireless settings option that lets me select the Wi-Fi region e.g. Europe/US/Australia, perhaps if you play around with the Wi-Fi regions and channels your phone might start connecting.

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

join:2001-06-02
UK
reply to jvmorris
From what's written the problem seems to be the phone. Not the router - as everything else (two PC's and a laptop) works fine.
I'm guessing Mr Android is not playing ball with whatever security protocol's are set on your existing WiFi router - which then decides that Mr Android is no friend at all - hence the reset requirement.

You could play about with different security settings or, as a cheap fix, set up a Wireless access point (get an old 3Com unit off eBay for pence) either locate it with the existing router or connect via the LAN (Cat5e cable) to a more suitable location in the house and use that to connect Mr Android and any other units that may benefit from a more conveniently located WiFi access point... you might want to add several depending upon the topography and geography of your home there...

Feel free to wander around the property roaming from one Wireless access to another with all your digital toyz

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
reply to Soho97UK
Time to ping the wife and get some more feedback.

What's the registry setting to which you're referring there? I'm fairly confident that all the values for the desktops in the UK would show GB since they're homebrew machines all built from components, chipsets, and software procured in the UK.

Still, my laptop is a Lenovo 560 (Chinese-built like all Lenovos these days) sold in the US. It works fine with the UK router. The GARMINfone, on the other hand, could certainly have some sort of problem along these lines, since it was manufactured for use only in the US (although it seems any number of people now use them in Europe and the UK). Unfortunately, I'm completely clueless on how one would modify the Android equivalent of the registry.

As for the router in use in the UK, I don't really know what the model is other than that it came from a particular ISP. Basically, it's a CAS router (I leave the acronym to British ingenuity to decipher ) I call it a CAS router because the wife insists that it will only support a total of four devices, wired or wireless, whereas my Verizon FIOS router here in the US is actually supporting 4 wired, 4 wireless, and two COAX connections at the moment. The wife tells me that we might be able to solve the problem by going to a Wireless-n router in the UK, but that it would be expensive and require a new set of wireless dongles for the PCs which are also expensive (relatively speaking, of course). And that's not going to do much for the phone when I'm in the UK.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
said by jvmorris:

What's the registry setting to which you're referring there? I'm fairly confident that all the values for the desktops in the UK would show GB since they're homebrew machines all built from components, chipsets, and software procured in the UK. ... Unfortunately, I'm completely clueless on how one would modify the Android equivalent of the registry.

I can't remember the exact registry entry, except that it was to do with the wireless interface (I basically manually searched the registry for each country code entry under the interface settings and changed it to GB). I'm guessing the problem here is the Android phone but I'm not sure how you'd go about playing with the Wi-Fi settings either (I have an HTC Desire and don't see a Wi-Fi region/channel setting), that's why I suggested playing with the router Wi-Fi settings so you could at least test my assumption.

Sorry I can't be more helpful ...

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

join:2001-06-02
UK
said by jvmorris:

CAS router (I leave the acronym to British ingenuity to decipher )

I'm going to chance my arm and guess Channel Associated Signaling - but could well be getting my technologies crossed...

WiFi country code settings determine the frequency ranges used and the sub-set of channels derived within that range. Hence UK will use a different frequency range to that of the US for example. However, with these new fangled portable devices, the manufactures had it dawn upon them that people actually moved about with them (who'd of thought it eh?) resulting in, well, problems. Thus for the most part, current routers sold in country are ISP pre-configured else you would be well advised to set the frequency range to that country of operation such that you are not breaking the law! The more enlightened portable devices, have a tendency now to sense where they are and hook into the frequency's they receive first, before transmitting anything and thus guess where they are. Mr Android should, assuming you have a reasonably recent firmware build, be doing this by default.