how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Unless they come out with a family data plan

that is significantly cheaper then when my contract is up I'll go back to a regular phone. The only reason I even got my smartphone was because I got their $15 for 150 MB monthly plan. I don't even really like paying that. I could use their $10 75 MB plan they have for feature phones and not go over. Sorry I'm not paying $360 a year just for the right to have a smartphone.

dynodb
Premium,VIP
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

How did you manage to get a Verizon smartphone without the smartphone data plan and still be under contract? They've required it for smartphones for over 2.5 years now.

I thought the same thing before getting my first smartphone (Motorola Droid). My previous phone had the ability to surf the internet, but I almost never did.

After getting the Droid, I came to find that staying under 75M would be extremely difficult, and even 150M would mean that I'd have to seriously limit what I did with the phone.

Between app downloads, updates and background data, they use a significant amount of data even without accessing the Internet. Short of using a smartphone just for playing games and listening to mp3's, limiting yourself to 75M would almost defeat the purpose of having a smartphone in the first place.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to 88615298
I expect the family data share plans to show up later this summer, prior to the "back to school" season. I wouldn't count on it to get you anywhere close to $15/mth for 150 MB. If anything, it will likely be priced slightly less than what it costs to have two data plans currently. Purely a guess, but if I were doing it....

Current data price for family plan with two lines: $60
WAG at shared data price for family plan with two lines:
- $50 for 3 GB/mth
- $75 for 7 GB/mth
- $99 for 12 GB/mth

Saves consumers money, therefore encouraging grandfathered users to willingly surrender their unlimited plans. Or may VZW will keep everything really simple and maintain the new data tiers while charging a $10/line fee like it does currently for voice, (e.g., my two data plans for a total of $60/mth will change to $30+$10 each mth for 2 GB of data).

Premium
West Tenness
reply to dynodb
said by dynodb:

How did you manage to get a Verizon smartphone without the smartphone data plan and still be under contract? They've required it for smartphones for over 2.5 years now.

because from Oct-Jan of last year Verizon had a deal where you get get a smartphone and get plan for $15 a month for 150 MB. I'm grandfathered in until my contract runs out which will be Nov 2012 or I upgrade which I can do in July 2012.

Between app downloads, updates and background data, they use a significant amount of data even without accessing the Internet. Short of using a smartphone just for playing games and listening to mp3's, limiting yourself to 75M would almost defeat the purpose of having a smartphone in the first place.

Um..... you see there is this thing called Wi-Fi. Unfortuneately you can't get a phone with wi-fi without it being called smartphone and thus incurring the $30 charge even if you have ZERO intentions of using Verizon's data.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to openbox9
said by openbox9:

I expect the family data share plans to show up later this summer, prior to the "back to school" season. I wouldn't count on it to get you anywhere close to $15/mth for 150 MB. If anything, it will likely be priced slightly less than what it costs to have two data plans currently. Purely a guess, but if I were doing it....

- $50 for 3 GB/mth
- $75 for 7 GB/mth
- $99 for 12 GB/mth

At those prices I could bite. We have 4 phones so $50/4 =$12.50. So that's $2.50 a month less than what I'm paying now. That might get everyone else to upgrade to a smartphone. At current prices hell no.

I suspect data amounts will be the same though. I'm thinking they'll be closer to:

$50 for 2 GB
$80 for 5 GB
$120 for 10 GB

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to dynodb
I may switch from a smart phone to a dumb phone with tablet. It'll be cheaper to look for free Wi-Fi at hotspots as necessary.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Premium
West Tenness
said by pandora:

I may switch from a smart phone to a dumb phone with tablet. It'll be cheaper to look for free Wi-Fi at hotspots as necessary.

Yep was thinking maybe dumbphone and PSVita. Does everything I want in a smartphone except make calls which is what the dumbphone will do. At $250 after saving $30 a month for 9 months it's paid for itself.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to 88615298
You can get a feature phone with Wi-Fi..I'm using one right now. Verizon is the only major carrier that has two Wi-Fi feature phones since they used to be smartphones - the KIN ONEm and TWOm. No data plan required and with a data block no worrying about accidental data charges. It doesn't really have any "apps" but with IE mobile it's decent for web browsing. Now if only Microsoft would merge it with WP7...

dynodb
Premium,VIP
Minneapolis, MN
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Um..... you see there is this thing called Wi-Fi. Unfortuneately you can't get a phone with wi-fi without it being called smartphone and thus incurring the $30 charge even if you have ZERO intentions of using Verizon's data.

Ah- I suppose if you'd only use data in wi-fi range, then yeah- Verizon probably wouldn't be the best carrier for you. The data plan requirement goes back to Nov 2008, so at least you've had time to consider your options.

Like most, a 2GB cap is unlikely to affect me, and I wouldn't want to be limited to 75M or 150M.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Zero
said by Zero:

You can get a feature phone with Wi-Fi..I'm using one right now. Verizon is the only major carrier that has two Wi-Fi feature phones since they used to be smartphones - the KIN ONEm and TWOm. No data plan required and with a data block no worrying about accidental data charges. It doesn't really have any "apps" but with IE mobile it's decent for web browsing. Now if only Microsoft would merge it with WP7...

Yeah my son has a kin TWOm. I don't like it. Buttons are way too small. They had plenty of room to make the buttons bigger. Hate the interface. Also wi-fi only goes up to wireless G and the screen is only 400X240. I doubt it does flash on the internet. And since I can't get one at a discounted price until July 2012 I doubt they'll be selling them then even if I wanted one. The Kin ONEm is funky looking and impractical.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to dynodb
said by dynodb:

said by 88615298:

Ah- I suppose if you'd only use data in wi-fi range, then yeah- Verizon probably wouldn't be the best carrier for you. The data plan requirement goes back to Nov 2008, so at least you've had time to consider your options.

Like most, a 2GB cap is unlikely to affect me, and I wouldn't want to be limited to 75M or 150M.

Doesn't matter when the plan goes back too. When at&t got rid of unlimited they did offer a cheap option. They have a $20 200 MB plan. There is ZERO reason Verizon can't offer the $10 75 MB to those of us on smarthphones that want it. ZERO.

dynodb
Premium,VIP
Minneapolis, MN
There's no reason they can't, but there are legitimate reasons they may not want to.

Sure, part of it (a large part no doubt) is to make more money- they are a for-profit corporation after all.

However, imagine what would happen if they did offer a cheap 75M plan for smartphone users. How many tens of thousands of complaints would they get from people who went over the limit because they didn't take into account that smartphones (depending on what apps are loaded and running) eat up data in the background? The average, non-savvy user would scream about being overcharged and cheated because they didn't realize (and may not want to accept) that you don't have to surf the 'net or watch videos to use data.

Premium
West Tenness
said by dynodb:

There's no reason they can't, but there are legitimate reasons they may not want to.

Sure, part of it (a large part no doubt) is to make more money- they are a for-profit corporation after all.

However, imagine what would happen if they did offer a cheap 75M plan for smartphone users. How many tens of thousands of complaints would they get from people who went over the limit because they didn't take into account that smartphones (depending on what apps are loaded and running) eat up data in the background? The average, non-savvy user would scream about being overcharged and cheated because they didn't realize (and may not want to accept) that you don't have to surf the 'net or watch videos to use data.

If they were worried about people going over they wouldn't have taken away the unlimited plan. And I'm 100% sure they are not worried about making gobs of money off of overage fees form people going over the 75 MB. What they are worried about is people like me who rather pay $10 than $30. They think the can force people like me to a $30 plan. What they'll end up doing is getting me to do a ZERO $ plan. In their stupid brains ZERO $ is better than $10 a month.

dynodb
Premium,VIP
Minneapolis, MN
Here's an interesting article concerning average data use:

»blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/onl···down-46/

Highlights:

Average monthly usage for all smartphone users as of first quarter of 2011: 435M

Percentage of users going over 2GB: 3%

Increase in monthly data per user from Q1 2010 to Q1 2011: 89%

And yes, it does show that there are a significant number who use very little data, but for how long? Verizon might well lose a few people like you, but they aren't exactly hurting by failing to do so.

Premium
West Tenness
said by dynodb:

Here's an interesting article concerning average data use:

»blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/onl···down-46/

Highlights:

Average monthly usage for all smartphone users as of first quarter of 2011: 435M

Percentage of users going over 2GB: 3%

Increase in monthly data per user from Q1 2010 to Q1 2011: 89%

And yes, it does show that there are a significant number who use very little data, but for how long? Verizon might well lose a few people like you, but they aren't exactly hurting by failing to do so.

Let's have fun with math. Ok 89% increase per year. So if people didn't have to worry about caps. Average monthly useage.

2011 435 MB
2012 822 MB
2013 1554 MB
2014 2937 MB
2015 5550 MB

It's obvious within 3 years most people would exceed 2 GB if there weren't any caps.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

that is significantly cheaper then when my contract is up I'll go back to a regular phone. The only reason I even got my smartphone was because I got their $15 for 150 MB monthly plan.

Just FYI, you will continue to be grandfathered on that $15 plan as long as you keep the same phone, even beyond the end of your current contract. They will (usually) force you into something higher if you buy a new smart phone though.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 88615298
I have a "Family Data Plan" Currently from verizon.

1400 minutes unlimited data on every line. I pay 10$ monthly for my first add a line and 20.00 for each additional. The 30$ on my main line is also priced at 10.00 monthly.

This plan was offered to me at the beginning of this year under the stipulation I extend my contract for 1 year on all my lines. ( a no brainer at the time)

After taxes im around 180 per month with 3 lines. Versus the 230+ i was paying with unlimited data on 1 line, and one of their cheesy smaller packages on a second.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by openbox9:

- $50 for 3 GB/mth
- $75 for 7 GB/mth
- $99 for 12 GB/mth

At those prices I could bite. We have 4 phones so $50/4 =$12.50. So that's $2.50 a month less than what I'm paying now. That might get everyone else to upgrade to a smartphone. At current prices hell no.

I suspect data amounts will be the same though. I'm thinking they'll be closer to:

$50 for 2 GB
$80 for 5 GB
$120 for 10 GB

I agree. Right now in our house we have 2 smartphones on the current unlimited data plan. Likely going to get at least one more added after this changeover. With the current data usage amongst the existing 2 phones and expected addition of the 3rd, a capped shared data plan at these prices would be enticing. Until a confirmation from Verizon though, the 3rd looks like it is going straight to PagePlus.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

Premium
West Tenness
reply to slckusr
said by slckusr:

I have a "Family Data Plan" Currently from verizon.

1400 minutes unlimited data on every line. I pay 10$ monthly for my first add a line and 20.00 for each additional. The 30$ on my main line is also priced at 10.00 monthly.

This plan was offered to me at the beginning of this year under the stipulation I extend my contract for 1 year on all my lines. ( a no brainer at the time)

After taxes im around 180 per month with 3 lines. Versus the 230+ i was paying with unlimited data on 1 line, and one of their cheesy smaller packages on a second.

A) they only offered that to select people

B) they don't offer that anymore so that's no good to me anyways

C) We don't need 1400 minutes. That's an extra $20 a month so that negates the savings on the data plan.

Big Dawg 23

join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN
reply to dynodb
My wife has a BB Torch on AT&T with 200MB and never goes above 50MB. She surfs a lot, emails pictures and videos also.

ShellMMG

join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to pandora
That is the setup I use. My family plan phones are all "dummies" and we use a Cradlepoint router with the aircard for our devices (I have an iPad). These data plans have to be soaking families dry...and the bill shock is going to be nasty.

And I keep thinking:

"Beware the broadband caps, my son! The bills that bite, the limits that catch! Beware your Netflix use, & shun the streaming apps!"