how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

Look at the Big Picture

It looks like Verizon is positioning themselves to deal with customers who have limited broadband at home.

A lot of the country is stuck with 1.5MBps DSL. For the first time, mobile broadband becomes a viable solution for home users. VZW doesn't necessarily want home users saturating their network at the expense of mobile user.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by travelguy:

It looks like Verizon is positioning themselves to deal with customers who have limited broadband at home.

A lot of the country is stuck with 1.5MBps DSL. For the first time, mobile broadband becomes a viable solution for home users.

OK first 1.5 MBps DSL would be 12 Mbps.

So anyways 1.5 Mbps DSL with at&t has 150 GB cap and is $38 a month without a homephone. Or 4G from Verizon and either $50 for 5 GB cap or $80 for 10 GB cap. I'd stick with DSL.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
Point taken - MBps vs Mbps.

My problem with 1.5Mbps DSL is not the cap so much (Qwest doesn't cap DSL) as it is throughput. I'd like to be able to watch Netflix or other streaming video at a reasonable resolution - can't do that now. If VZW offered LTE with an effective speed of 4 or 5 Mbps, I'd jump at it.

The other problem with 1.5/896 is the uplink speed. Would love to be able to use Amazon S3 for backups, but it just isn't feasible at 896.

Premium
West Tenness
said by travelguy:

Point taken - MBps vs Mbps.

My problem with 1.5Mbps DSL is not the cap so much (Qwest doesn't cap DSL) as it is throughput. I'd like to be able to watch Netflix or other streaming video at a reasonable resolution - can't do that now. If VZW offered LTE with an effective speed of 4 or 5 Mbps, I'd jump at it.

Except you can't watch Netflix with a 10 GB cap. Netflix HD can use up to 2 GB an hour( at 4800 kbps ). Enjoy your 5 hours of Netflix per month.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
said by 88615298:

Enjoy your 5 hours of Netflix per month.

But 5 is better than zero. And it's not a hard cap - it just means you pay more if you exceed.

I get it - caps are evil. But when it's a choice of that or nothing...

Premium
West Tenness
said by travelguy:

said by 88615298:

Enjoy your 5 hours of Netflix per month.

But 5 is better than zero. And it's not a hard cap - it just means you pay more if you exceed.

I get it - caps are evil. But when it's a choice of that or nothing...

Yes $10 per GB. So a netflix movie will cost you $40 if you are over. Might as well buy the blu-ray.

You do have another choice it's 1.5 Mbps DSL as you stated.

CaptainRR
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH
reply to travelguy
Don't forget people like me with 26.4k dailup on a good day with at&t rural phone line with a Verizon Wireless tower a mile from my house. Not much better with low caps.