San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Webhead

Re: Keep sbcglobal.net or att.net email address after DSL cancel

said by Webhead:

I just called to cancel my AT&T DSL (sbcglobal.net) and asked how long my email accounts would be open and the CSR replied that they would be available for 90 days. We will see what happens after 90 days.

Somewhere around here I have a postcard from AT&T. They sent it in response to my switching to Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion". They indicate that I can use my '@pacbell.net' email addresses as free web mail addresses. Indefinitely. If I can find it, again, I will scan it.

On a side note, Yahoo! just enabled IMAP service on their free accounts. When I tested one of my '@pacbell.net' accounts in Thunderbird, I was able to synchronize the account folders.

at&t Yahoo! HSI IMAP configuraion.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by NormanS:

Somewhere around here I have a postcard from AT&T. They sent it in response to my switching to Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion". They indicate that I can use my '@pacbell.net' email addresses as free web mail addresses. Indefinitely. If I can find it, again, I will scan it

Is this the at&t postcard

/r0/download/1636359~3668244f24f1dc987c71277d02307719/free.jpg

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

It looks similar. I do believe I went through each account after the switch, just to test. At least a couple of them required me to accept the terms of service and click through an "Okay" screen.
--
Norman

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

You may retain pop access too....

CartDude

join:2003-06-22
Simi Valley, CA
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS See Profile
Somewhere around here I have a postcard from AT&T. They sent it in response to my switching to Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion". They indicate that I can use my '@pacbell.net' email addresses as free web mail addresses. Indefinitely. If I can find it, again, I will scan it.
[ATT=1 :

NormanS -did you say earlier that you setup a disposable email address on your pacbell.net acct (or was it just the free att.net one?)

Still curious if this will still work after cancelling service.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by CartDude:

NormanS -did you say earlier that you setup a disposable email address on your pacbell.net acct (or was it just the free att.net one?)

Still curious if this will still work after cancelling service.

Both, and disposable addresses are still working on the 'pacbell.net' account after cancellation.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

said by NormanS:

Both, and disposable addresses are still working on the 'pacbell.net' account after cancellation.

Thanks Norman. This is the first actual confirmation we've received that states that the disposable addresses will still work after proper cancellation.

Out of curiosity, how long since you canceled?
Do you think this applies to sbcglobal.net as well?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by bbear2:

Thanks Norman. This is the first actual confirmation we've received that states that the disposable addresses will still work after proper cancellation.

Out of curiosity, how long since you canceled?
Do you think this applies to sbcglobal.net as well?

Three weeks. Should apply to any of the legacy SBC domains; probably legacy Bellsouth ('bellsouth.net') as well.

I should stress that you should check every email account shortly after cancellation. I got a screen which is basically a reiteration of the ToS, and requiring an agreement to the ToS when I cycled through the accounts in the first week after the new service went live.
--
Norman

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

Would you mind updating us again in about 3 weeks, so that we'll know if the disposable email accounts are still around beyond 4 weeks? Seems to me there was something magical about 30 days.

Good suggestion about checking every email account, but how can you have more than one account per DSL line? Unless perhaps you canceled multiple DSL lines?

CartDude

join:2003-06-22
Simi Valley, CA
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

Nice - appreciate the confirmation! Like bbear2 said, this is the first real confirmation posted here that disposable addresses still work.

This gives me some options now to look at other providers w/out worrying about my email addresses.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bbear2

said by bbear2:

Good suggestion about checking every email account, but how can you have more than one account per DSL line? Unless perhaps you canceled multiple DSL lines?

With 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' you get a Primary account, and 10 sub accounts. I had set up 11 '@pacbell.net' email accounts on the Primary DSL account.

I had also reset the network password, used in the modem to authenticate the PPPoE session, so it was different from the email password, used to log in to the Primary email account.
--
Norman