share rss forum feed

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

I talked to AT&T corporate about the caps.

I had a post in the Direct Support forum with a number of questions regarding the caps that are being implemented. I was just called by an individual from the corporate office, and I laid out a few questions.

Here they are:

? - When are the meters going to work, and why aren't they now?

Answer: AT&T has no problems with the DSL meters, but they are experiencing problems with the U-Verse meters. When I asked what the exact problems were, he said he didn't have the detailed technical information, but from what he knew, they had "some problems" measuring the U-verse data correctly. At this moment they had no date of when these problems were expected to be resolved.

He did state that until they resolve the issues, no one would be charged for anything, and that users would be informed when they start metering.

? - An electricity meter is tested by a 3d party who is neither the customer or the electricity company. How does AT&T test their meters, and how can we know for certain that they are accurate?

Answer: AT&T does not have a plan currently to have the metering system tested by anyone else, but if there is any problems or inconsistencies that AT&T doesn't resolve to my satisfaction, please don't hesitate to call the corporate office.

(Bottom line: You'll have to fight their support desk first).

? - What if I am the victim of a DDOS, will I have to pay for the data?

Answer: AT&T had no answer for this. He said that if it could be proven it wasn't me, I would not be charged. On my question how I would prove that it wasn't me, he said "it will just have to be investigated at that point".

------------------------------

Basically, it's not much we didn't already know, besides maybe confirming it is an actual TECHNICAL problem that is preventing the U-Verse meters from going live.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Tanshin

join:2009-07-18
West Simsbury, CT
kudos:1

said by maartena:

Answer: AT&T does not have a plan currently to have the metering system tested by anyone else, but if there is any problems or inconsistencies that AT&T doesn't resolve to my satisfaction, please don't hesitate to call the corporate office.

(Bottom line: You'll have to fight their support desk first).

This bugs me... a lot...

manfmmd
Premium
join:2003-01-14
Earth, TX
Reviews:
·CMA Access

1 edit
reply to maartena

DSL meters not broken.....right......

AT&T June

DD-WRT June

AT&T July

DD-WRT July

They are working PERFECTLY!

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06

Woo, lol, let's hope they keep "working properly" for you ADSL customers... Meanwhile on VDSL I have free reign .

Overall, there's nothing new in this thread, we knew there was a technical problem, particularly in separating video traffic from Internet traffic on VDSL. Also knew that they weren't planning on having a third party check their meters. They are not required to, so why would they?

Also figured that DDoS = guilty until proven innocent.

I guess it's good to hear a confirmation, though, eases my mind just a tad that they won't secretly charge even with no meter. The meter did in fact say we wouldn't be charged though...

I'll be staying until the meter shows up, then I'm off to Charter.

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to manfmmd

hell mines aint even working just this:

My Usage Details
AT&T is not able to capture usage data on all of its customers. Customers whose usage is not available for viewing should not be concerned about their usage patterns for billing purposes.

To learn more about how to manage your usage, please visit www.att.com/internet-usage

And i'm on 6.0 DSL

maartena
Elmo
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to maartena

I have to clarify one thing: He said that on the DSL meters, the meters become active once a user hits 75% and gets notified by email. Apparently, the month after the user will get a usage meter.

Whether he spoke the truth is easily tested: A DSL user will need to download about 120 Gb or so, and see if he gets notified.
--

maartena
Elmo
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to Tanshin

said by Tanshin:

This bugs me... a lot...

Yeah.... there is just NO legislation in place for these things. Nor is there in Canada, or Europe for that matter. There were providers charge by the byte, no one but them can claim accuracy on the meters.

Since the usually VERY regulatory EU, and much more regulatory Canadians haven't done anything about it, you can pretty much bet on this NEVER EVER happening in the U.S.

We, after all, hate government regulation of ANY kind.
--

maartena
Elmo
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to manfmmd

said by manfmmd:

DSL meters not broken.....right......

They are working PERFECTLY!

Seems to work in your favor.
--

Tanshin

West Simsbury, CT
reply to maartena

said by maartena:

We, after all, hate government regulation of ANY kind.

There are times when regulation is good, and I think this is one of them. It's good for the consumer, bad for the big businesses which means that, even if legislation started, it probably wouldn't get past the republicans :P

maartena
Elmo
Premium
Orange, CA

What they really need to do is allow competition. Verizon actually did it for a while, reselling FIOS via DSL Extreme, but then cancelled the contract between them, and converted all the FIOS customers back.

One way of doing it, is to allow 1 entity to own the infrastructure, which could either be a government company or a private company that is not allowed to go in the ISP business, and allow every other telecommunication company that wants to start an ISP to use these cables, at a price. That price should cover maintenance, expansion, etc, for all infrastructure, operational expenses, and some profit. ISP's can then pad that amount a little bit more with their own services, such as email, usenet, webhosting, routing to their backbone and the actual customer service front, plus of course.... profit!

In essence, you would SPLIT the business of managing/operating infrastructure, from the ISP's that sell to both businesses and consumers. In a way, this is already partly the case with 3d party DSL, who still use telco cables.

This would also open up the way for "naked" connections, such as a connection that has NO services beyond the IP address you get. (Which is all I need as I am paying for several domains already for emial and webhosting.)

I don't think it will happen any time soon though..... and in the mean time, the U.S. will keep falling behind. What will it take for the U.S. to get back in the top 10?
--

Tanshin

West Simsbury, CT

Take a look at that news post about Sonic.net. That's a company that's actually trying to broaden their services for the consumer and keep prices conservative ($70 for 1Gbps, two phone lines, and no cap) so they can compete with companies like AT&T and Comcast. These are the people who will help drive competition in the country and hopefully bring us back up. It'll take time, but it could work out in the long run.

Sadly, everybody here running U-Verse has pretty much reached the end of the road. Until AT&T runs FTTH and does it right (eg not restricted like it is now), we're stuck in a spot with no innovation. I've been tempted to switch to Comcast for internet just because of the fact that they have room to innovate and are trying to do so. They're increasing the capabilities of their plans at no cost... I like it.

StLCardsFan

join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber

said by Tanshin:

Take a look at that news post about Sonic.net. That's a company that's actually trying to broaden their services for the consumer and keep prices conservative ($70 for 1Gbps, two phone lines, and no cap) so they can compete with companies like AT&T and Comcast. These are the people who will help drive competition in the country and hopefully bring us back up. It'll take time, but it could work out in the long run.

Competition is a good thing. In reality .. you really need 3 or 4 players to actually compete for the sake of innovation and efficiency.

5 years ago cable companies were dinosaurs and where uverse and fois came to town ..they nearly went bankrupt (charter did here) ... cable companies are now forced to shape up and innovate. Not that I'm an advocate for cable companies either ...but they seem to be getting better and better by the day.

Sonic or Google could be that 3rd wheel we all need to get things going.

I envision 3 types of service providers eventually available ... super-low cost (think target or Kmart) ... some mid level provider (macy's / Dillards) and some superior high end service provider (Nordstrom, Saks, Nieman Marcus). All of these types of markets have their place in society ..and serve their purpose.

Right now most of us have something between Walmart service and DirecTV customer support ... with Saks pricing.

Sadly, everybody here running U-Verse has pretty much reached the end of the road. Until AT&T runs FTTH and does it right (eg not restricted like it is now), we're stuck in a spot with no innovation. I've been tempted to switch to Comcast for internet just because of the fact that they have room to innovate and are trying to do so. They're increasing the capabilities of their plans at no cost... I like it.

S4caster
Premium
join:2011-06-30
Paducah, KY
reply to maartena

Mine started to show up just after June 1st. About the 3rd week of June, it disappeared. Back to the "we can't monitor usage on your account" blurb (something like that anyway).

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to manfmmd

Ah, I see they are wildly overestimating usage. Surprise.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to maartena

Thank you for the time you took to take on AT&T. Every single one of your questions was spot on. And with regards to third party auditing of the meters, I'd suggest taking it a step further and getting the government involved.

If government at the federal, state or local level can certain regulate meters to verify accuracy, then there is no reason why government shouldn't step in to deal with this.
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to maartena

said by maartena:

Look again.

13.3 gb + 1.2 gb doesn't make 17 gb. AT&T meter is overestimating usage by 15% or so on his line.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Tanshin

West Simsbury, CT

Check your units... He actually used about 145GB.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to Tanshin

said by Tanshin:

Yep. I talked (emailed) with one of their engineers. They are basically a "mom and pop" ISP, currently serving the San Francisco bay area.

The will NOT be coming down to Southern California (or anywhere else in the country) any time soon, as it is expensive to expand, and they need to recoup some of their current investments first. I asked if they had any plans to come to Orange County/Los Angeles in 2012, or before 2013. They were honest with me and told me not to get my hopes up any time soon.

I am talking about their VDSL project, the "U-verse" competition so to speak. Their regular DSL is available in many, many more places.
--

maartena
Elmo
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to KrK

said by KrK:

said by maartena:

Look again.

13.3 gb + 1.2 gb doesn't make 17 gb. AT&T meter is overestimating usage by 15% or so on his line.

He didn't use 13.3 Gb, you used 133 Gb on the download side, and 11.2 Gb on the upload side.
--

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to Tanshin

My bad, I saw MB and then divided by 1000 not 100.

Tanshin

West Simsbury, CT

Hehe, it happens

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to maartena

will NEVER happen. Plus for the most part it already is that way. the Actual ILEC is NOT the actual wholesale company. They are own and operate another company that handles that- just has BT does- they own and operate OpenReach which does the samething.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to StLCardsFan

Charter did NOT go bankrupt due to FiOS and U-Verse. They went bankrupt due to their cash limits and buying up all those rural areas at once for high dollars and NOT being able to make anything. Comcast hardly went bankrput due to FiOS or DSL. TWC isn't in that boat either- and they compete more directly with U-Verse than any other provider in the country.

I don't see CableVision having any cash issues with with FiOS being in their area.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH
reply to pnh102

will never happen as the Internet is NOT controlled by the feds. Control it and it equals taxes.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to maartena

Click for full size
Average monthly usage
I know I'm enjoying this now with my FiOS, but I'm pretty sure that's going to be coming to an end soon, I will be sad to see that day as I will be most likely ending my service with them, and they offer the best service here in my area... I guess I'll just have to stop using the internet unless I'm on my cell phone all the time since I'm grandfathered, but that will only last so long too...

Matt
--
I am no longer an AT&T Employee. Check out my kudos! »/profile/1626573
Have U-verse questions? Please email uversecare@att.com and they will assist you!!
Expand your moderator at work

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL
reply to maartena

Re: I talked to AT&T corporate about the caps.

said by maartena:

Basically, it's not much we didn't already know, besides maybe confirming it is an actual TECHNICAL problem that is preventing the U-Verse meters from going live.

Yep nothing new. I knew it would/will take time. I'm still enjoying my U-verse HSI.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

mystery45

join:2001-06-13
Titusville, FL
reply to maartena

good questions. i don't see how they are going to separate tv and internet data it is all the same. they would have to switch out our modem's and monitor all internet ports on each one to do it really.

i don't know why they are limiting uverse anyway that is their premium seller. i think they are being stupid. really.

i like my uverse tv service to much to switch back to time warner. maybe if i had the same features with cable at the same price i would probably do it but not until then.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

That's why I switched from DSL to U-verse when the caps were announced. First you get 100GB more a month. Second I knew the caps were for DSL only. It will take a very long while for them to figure out caps on U-verse.

I think they just want people off the DSL service.
--
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration."

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mystery45

said by mystery45:

good questions. i don't see how they are going to separate tv and internet data it is all the same. they would have to switch out our modem's and monitor all internet ports on each one to do it really.

i don't know why they are limiting uverse anyway that is their premium seller. i think they are being stupid. really.

i like my uverse tv service to much to switch back to time warner. maybe if i had the same features with cable at the same price i would probably do it but not until then.

it can be done at your upstream router probably. the tv data is all multicast traffic and goes over a specific range of IP addresses. They can keep track of all your data and just subtract the multicast data. In theory it should be simple but AT&T never makes anything simple.