Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

deadzoned
Premium
join:2005-04-13
Cypress, TX

More going on..

There is no way that the ISP's and the RIAA/MPAA have agreed to do something like this together if it is not directly benefiting them all in some way.

All of the entities involved in this little endeavor have long histories of putting profits above all else. My guess - Fat Checks to the ISP's in exchange for data collection and delivery to the MPAA/RIAA.

Absolutely no way that they all agreed to voluntarily do something of this magnitude without specific and tangible benefits.

sparc

join:2006-05-06

by cooperating, it also stops the media companies from suing the ISPs for being a conduit for the large scale of consumer piracy. I would guess there's a strong benefit to cooperating to avoid expensive litigation that could create even larger problems for the ISP. (Or even something worse like government intervention via laws that force something like filtering)

Another thing is that a lot of these ISPs are providers of TV service or even owners of media companies. They have an interest in protecting that revenue and finding a way to discourage consumer piracy. Comcast is a big example of this where they are a media company, cable service, and ISP all in one package.

N10Cities
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Fort Smith, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Doesn't the safe harbor provision of the DMCA take care of that?

said by sparc:

by cooperating, it also stops the media companies from suing the ISPs for being a conduit for the large scale of consumer piracy. I would guess there's a strong benefit to cooperating to avoid expensive litigation that could create even larger problems for the ISP. (Or even something worse like government intervention via laws that force something like filtering)

sparc

join:2006-05-06

not exactly sure. The DMCA mostly seems to deal with hosted content. An ISP appears to be more of an intermediary to me rather than one directly committing the piracy.

my non-expert opinion is that the law is unclear here and that's why it's easier for ISPs to cooperate before the government makes a law or some media company sues.