Click for full size
PDU, Humidity Sensors, Splice Panel
Click for full size
Humidity Sensors / Thermostats
Click for full size
Splice Complete!
Click for full size
Battery Backup (Not Yet Connected!)
This is a Level(3) installation for any of their fibre based services. The first service lit up was Internet access by way of a 50Mbps Ethernet hand-off from their OC-192 ring.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2

Batts are probably for the -48V power plant. Line voltage is fed to the rectifier and then that sends voltage to batts, and equipment power is picked from batts and passed to the PDU for distribution to equipment.

Sort of in a round about way a UPS.....
--
"Saying something in another language that you don't think the other person understands is just saying that you're a pussy and are too afraid to say it in English." --Harddrive

LightSpan
Premium
join:2004-02-18
Lexington, KY
reply to d0nni3q

i've turned up quite a few of those dmx and dmx xtend in my time .

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to d0nni3q

Very nice and tidy. Be good to see more pictures onces its all done and wired up.

yaplej
Premium
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR
reply to d0nni3q

Whats the part number for that yellow vertical cable management duct?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

said by yaplej:

Whats the part number for that yellow vertical cable management duct?

That's a standard ADC 2x2 cable manager... Don't have the P# handy, but it's easy enough to find - we use a ton of it.

Oxygen
Times Square can't shine as bright
Premium
join:2001-12-04
Nesconset, NY
reply to d0nni3q

Clean and simple. Very cool.

jmich
Premium
join:2001-08-28
Toms River, NJ
reply to d0nni3q

Thanks for sharing. I guess the splicer didn't feel like attaching that cable to the wall when he was done. There doesn't appear to be ample strain relief on that cable and attaching it to the wall would add further protection.

shawnchin

join:2010-11-02
reply to d0nni3q

This is cool, clean and clear..Like this post

emj

@spritelink.se
reply to d0nni3q

All that equipment for a 50Mbps hand off? Why?

yaplej
Premium
join:2001-02-10
White City, OR

My guess is that the cost of deployment isn't the equipment. They could deploy a smaller platform but for the price they ensure they wont have to upgrade it anytime soon. Pulling a unit out to install a larger one would be a much bigger pain than spending a few extra bucks and putting the larger device in to begin with.

When we had fiber brought into our building they put in a larger unit because it was also a multi-tenant building. They can service more customers out that unit than just us and deliver almost anything DS1,DS3,Metro-E or OC.
--
sk_buff what?

Open Source Network Accelerators
»www.trafficsqueezer.org
»www.opennop.org

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to d0nni3q

glad to see the alca-lu device in there.
a local mso tends to use fujitsu devices -- especially the flashwave 4100 and 4100es. i don't know if its the mso or the device -- but phy state replication always seems to be a chore.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to emj

said by emj :

All that equipment for a 50Mbps hand off? Why?

My guess? They added this node to an existing ring; so they had to match what was existing...

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to tubbynet

said by tubbynet:

glad to see the alca-lu device in there.
a local mso tends to use fujitsu devices -- especially the flashwave 4100 and 4100es. i don't know if its the mso or the device -- but phy state replication always seems to be a chore.

q.

There are some software issues with the Fuji FW gear; but it's getting better quickly - we're putting in tons of FW9500's and 4100's... Generally, works well... Way cheaper then the Nortel/Cienna products then we were using, with quicker turn-around, as well...

emj

join:2011-07-25

1 recommendation

reply to d0nni3q

My ISP tried to give me a cisco ME3400 as a CPE for a GigE connection, which I refused. I can't see why you'd like this amount of gear at your customer's site. But maybe this is one of them "only in america"...

JimArg

@comcast.net
reply to d0nni3q

I would like to talk to you about a project in N Va

d0nni3q

join:2006-11-05
Meadville, PA
reply to emj

We plan on adding additional services such as SIP trunks and Metro-E to our DR location.

d0nni3q

join:2006-11-05
Meadville, PA

1 edit
reply to LazMan

Yes, that's the other reason; we were spliced into an existing SONET ring. Some things are really close...

1  10.2.1.1 (10.2.1.1)  0.626 ms  0.723 ms  0.768 ms
2  10.18.1.5 (10.18.1.5)  0.638 ms  0.673 ms  0.689 ms
3  edge.-.com (68.235.-.-)  1.115 ms  1.140 ms  1.110 ms
4  vlan-.car1.pittsburgh3.level3.net (4.49.116.-)  1.399 ms  1.425 ms  1.442 ms
5  continental.car1.pittsburgh3.level3.net (4.49.116.-)  1.953 ms  1.965 ms  2.009 ms
6  vqs-.pair.com (216.92.242.-)  9.383 ms  9.380 ms  9.346 ms

:D

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK

1 recommendation

reply to emj

Managed CPE. Its fairly common.

The ISP then has the ability to perform troubleshooting over the service right into the room where they hand over to you, so can better pinpoint problems as opposed to "between our POP and your gear".

I agree that when everyone wants to put a bit of gear in your rack it can become an issue, I guess it just depends what you cherish most.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to emj

" can't see why you'd like this amount of gear at your customer's site."

Maybe they are using SONET to deliver services? They may want or are delivering DS0, DS1, DS3, OC3, OC12, OC48, etc to the customer.

What's wrong with using a 3400 for 1Gb handoff?

emj

join:2011-07-25

I've never had a SONET circuit installed, do they put that much equipment at all customers? Must cost a fortune....

You don't want anyting between your router interface and the bgp neighbor's interface since you want to be able to catch linkdown events and not have to rely on timeouts.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

IF they are doing SONET, DSX, or some other type of enterprise circuit then yes. We have several racks like that from carriers in our datacenter.

"You don't want anyting between your router interface and the bgp neighbor's interface since you want to be able to catch linkdown events and not have to rely on timeouts."

Then you don't need to use DS3 or OCx interfaces. The only thing you will be able to detect is a local loss of connectivity. If the far end of the link looses connectivity your router will not have the first clue the far end is down. If you are using a DS3/OCx interface if either side goes down you will detect it. If you are using ethernet you will only know if your side is down.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to emj

Not all customers. Some may just get an ethernet switch, others a simple media converter, others plain fibre handoff. Its highly dependent on existing infrastructure, or the carriers particular standards for provisioning certain types of services or circuits.

e.g. an ISP I used to work for back in Australia had some ethernet services brought in from a carrier to aggregate ADSL customers and provide Internet connectivity.

For the ADSL aggregation the carrier installed a Cisco 3550-12G as the CPE for that service, while the Internet service was a plain fibre hand off.

Both were installed at the same time so it wasnt just a change in standards at some point in time, it was just how they did different circuits for different purposes.

backeast

@wideopenwest.com
reply to d0nni3q

Everything looks great except that fiber coming from the ceiling like that. That really ruins it for me.

Savillian

join:2003-11-22

said by backeast :

Everything looks great except that fiber coming from the ceiling like that. That really ruins it for me.

AGREED!!!

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
London, UK
reply to d0nni3q

Old topic, but how does it look now that its all wired up and operational?