join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to Rekrul

Premium Member

to Rekrul

Re: extortion

said by Rekrul:

said by MyDogHsFleas:

But, Your Honor, that guy WOULD NOT SELL ME HIS CAR! So I HAD to take it! I'm clearly NOT GUILTY under the doctrine of EVERYONE HAS TO SELL ME WHAT I WANT OR I GET TO TAKE IT!

How do you "take" someone's copy of a digital file? Does the act of downloading it magically erase it from the other person's computer?

You're comparing depriving someone of an actual physical object with making an exact copy of something that can be infinitely duplicated.

If the content had value to the owners, they'd be selling it. They're not keeping it off the market out of some artistic desire. To them, these shows are the equivalent of that broken fan sitting in your attic or garage. The only difference is that where you'd probably throw it out, they're obsessive hoarders who will never part with anything no matter how useless it is to them.

Oh listen Your Honor... it's even better than I said. It wasn't a car! It was only a picture of a unique, handbuilt car! Listen, Your Honor! They used to sell this picture with a nice frame! Then they stopped selling it, and I could only buy it as a poster! WHY WON'T THEY SELL IT WITH A FRAME! Now, that totally justifies why it's OK for me to steal it. Listen... here's the capper... if they want another one with a frame, THEY CAN JUST PRINT ANOTHER PICTURE! It's not like I *actually* took something from him.

So.... not only should you let me go, you should praise me as a hero for liberating that framed car picture! Otherwise no one could enjoy it!
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

said by MyDogHsFleas:

Oh listen Your Honor... it's even better than I said. It wasn't a car! It was only a picture of a unique, handbuilt car! Listen, Your Honor! They used to sell this picture with a nice frame! Then they stopped selling it, and I could only buy it as a poster! WHY WON'T THEY SELL IT WITH A FRAME! Now, that totally justifies why it's OK for me to steal it. Listen... here's the capper... if they want another one with a frame, THEY CAN JUST PRINT ANOTHER PICTURE! It's not like I *actually* took something from him.

So.... not only should you let me go, you should praise me as a hero for liberating that framed car picture! Otherwise no one could enjoy it!

If your wife/girlfriend wants an expensive designer dress that costs more than the big-screen plasma TV you've had your eye on, would you be breaking the law if you hired someone to make an exact duplicate of that dress for a fraction of the cost? Note that I'm not talking about passing off the copy as the real thing, I'm talking about simply making a copy of the dress for someone you know to wear.

Please cite the exact laws that would be broken by this act.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

Re commissioning a copy of an expensive designer dress: no i believe that is perfectly OK as long as they don't put the designer brand on it. I say that because I don't think designer dress makers copyright their designs, only trademark their brands. (I could be wrong here.)

This analogous situation in music, say, would be a cover band putting out their version of a song. Since the song is copyrighted, they have to get permission from the copyright owner or they cannot do it. Unlike the designer dress example.

Bottom line is that you can't on your own copy something that's copyrighted unless (a) you have a license to do so, or negotiate one, or (b) it's covered under fair use.