spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrAngus

join:2011-06-24

[TWC] Registering a modem

If you get a new modem with TWC, do you have to call them up to register the new MAC address, or will it just work?

chalieboy

join:2009-11-26
Euclid, OH

they should register it when you pick it up but make sure they get it done because most of the workers are clueless. Its happened to me many of times.

MrAngus

reply to MrAngus

Thanks for the reply . I suppose I should have been more clear. I meant a new modem that you buy yourself. I've never rented a modem from TWC, I've always owned my own. So if you buy a new modem yourself, do you have to call them to register it? Can you register it before it's even hooked up, or do you have to replace the old modem and hook up the new one first?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

You have to have the MAC address and call to get it added to the billing system. When you do this is immaterial as long as you have the MAC address and no need to use the old modem.

Hob

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
reply to chalieboy

"because most of the workers are clueless."

I really hate blanket statements. I work with a large bunch of very talented knowledgeable people.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MrAngus

reply to hobgoblin

So once they get you set up with the new MAC address, your old modem will immediately no longer be able to connect? So you better wait to do it until you're ready to start using the new modem.

Also, about how long does it take the new modem to get set up in the system? Does it happen instantly?

And just one more thing. Can this be done with their basic tier 1 support, or do you need to go higher up for it? Thanks!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

said by MrAngus:

So once they get you set up with the new MAC address, your old modem will immediately no longer be able to connect? So you better wait to do it until you're ready to start using the new modem.

Also, about how long does it take the new modem to get set up in the system? Does it happen instantly?

And just one more thing. Can this be done with their basic tier 1 support, or do you need to go higher up for it? Thanks!

Its hard to give a blanket answer as areas differ. IN WNY it can be done by Tier 1 support instantly, I have read of other areas where it may take 24 hours. I would ensure that either way if you dont want to lose connectivity you have the new modem.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MrAngus

Great, thanks for the answers . I just like to have all my information going in. I'll probably do this tomorrow during the day when hopefully the call traffic will be lower.

chalieboy

join:2009-11-26
Euclid, OH
reply to hobgoblin

said by hobgoblin:

"because most of the workers are clueless."

I really hate blanket statements. I work with a large bunch of very talented knowledgeable people.

Hob

Then obviously my statement didnt apply to them.

ChillyCat6

join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH
kudos:1
reply to chalieboy

said by chalieboy:

because most of the workers are clueless.

ignorant statement