uniqs
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to MyDogHsFleas

to MyDogHsFleas

Re: extortion

said by MyDogHsFleas:

But, Your Honor, that guy WOULD NOT SELL ME HIS CAR! So I HAD to take it! I'm clearly NOT GUILTY under the doctrine of EVERYONE HAS TO SELL ME WHAT I WANT OR I GET TO TAKE IT!

That's a pretty dumb analogy, and i have a feeling that you know this very well.
You're basically implying that if i copy a movie, the original i lost.

You're dumb.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

said by Kamus:

said by MyDogHsFleas:

But, Your Honor, that guy WOULD NOT SELL ME HIS CAR! So I HAD to take it! I'm clearly NOT GUILTY under the doctrine of EVERYONE HAS TO SELL ME WHAT I WANT OR I GET TO TAKE IT!

That's a pretty dumb analogy, and i have a feeling that you know this very well.
You're basically implying that if i copy a movie, the original i lost.

You're dumb.

A) no need for name calling.
B) no I am not taking a position I don't actually believe.
C) I think you are mixing up two threads. The one I am responding to essentially said that it is justified to pirate a TV show if it hasn't been made available for legal purchase as a DVD in it's original form.
D). In point of fact it is NOT a defense to pirating to say "but I bought the DVD then lost or damaged it". There is no exception on the copyright law for that situation. The legal thing to do would be to buy a new copy.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by MyDogHsFleas:

D). In point of fact it is NOT a defense to pirating to say "but I bought the DVD then lost or damaged it". There is no exception on the copyright law for that situation. The legal thing to do would be to buy a new copy.

What if it is no longer is available for sale???
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

said by JRW2:

said by MyDogHsFleas:

What if it is no longer is available for sale???

Then the legal thing to do would be to buy or rent a used DVD. Or if you can't find one you're out of luck.

Practically speaking, if you rented or borrowed a DVD, made a personal copy, and returned it, no one is ever going to catch you. But that is not to say it's legal.