Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

modifiy

join:2001-04-13
Minneapolis, MN
reply to MyDogHsFleas

Re: Hard to catch violators? So don't try

It's hard to prove you wrong when this plan was just put in place. Same can be said the other way that there is no proof this will do anything to stop piracy, but chances are it wont. This is wack a mole at best. Pirates and p2p users will change their methods like they have in the past to get around this.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by modifiy:

It's hard to prove you wrong when this plan was just put in place. Same can be said the other way that there is no proof this will do anything to stop piracy, but chances are it wont. This is wack a mole at best. Pirates and p2p users will change their methods like they have in the past to get around this.

It's really an opinion, nothing to "prove" here. As you say time will tell. My point really is that it's not a question of absolute "will it stop piracy or not" but a matter of degree.

What I see is the riaa/mpaa crowd taking action when piracy becomes rampant or brazen. They will take action - call it whack-a-mole if you like - to damp it down. For example they killed Napster and Limewire and are trying to kill Pirate Bay. This is another attempt to damp down "mainstream piracy".

Smart and motivated pirates will always find a new clever way. The content owners are really just trying to lop off the high points of the piracy demand curve.

IMO they should be doing more on satisfying the supply side of the piracy business along with trying to slow down the demand side. I think Apple as the primary mover along with Google, Amazon, etc. are leading that, not the content owners. This is not good for the content owners.