Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cptmiles
Premium
join:2004-04-22
Swayzee, IN

Edge (cache) Servers

I don't know where Netflix has its servers or even pretend to know how their network works, but why don't they work with the service providers to build edge routers (servers) in key areas and then keep those servers updated during off-peak hours.

Then the majority of the downloading will be done on the local network and off the backbone, which, I assume, is the issue.

I operate a small ISP and would love to be able to put a Google, Netflix, Hulu, and anything else type of server in my CO to cut down on my backbone costs.

dslcreature
Premium
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA

said by cptmiles:

I operate a small ISP and would love to be able to put a Google, Netflix, Hulu, and anything else type of server in my CO to cut down on my backbone costs.

I'm not sure how big you have to be before CDNs will want to host gear at your site it couldn't hurt to ask.

Typically someone like Akami provides you with the gear. You provide rack space, power and pipe. Their gear caches content and significantly reduces your overall bandwidth utilization and performance of cached content.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

this is what needs to be done- if NF wants access to those customers - they should be co-locating direct within the lastmile network for that provider and into their private network. provide their own transit and BOOM! be done. customers get faster access and in turn NF will get those customers.