spc
Search similar:

uniqs
garfield
join:2011-03-12
Columbus, GA

garfield

repeated loss of internet w/ fuzzy tv

For the past couple of weeks I've been losing the internet with concurrent fuzziness on all cable tv channels. I don't believe it is (local) weather related as Columbus had beautiful weather this morning--but I had this happen 3 times between 7 and 8:45. Calling does no good as by the time I get past the menu I am usually back up. Knology says not enough people call so they have no record of a 'widespread problem'--which according to the last guy I talked to means 5 other people call in from same area with 6 hours. WTF? I only called after this happened to me more than 15 times in two weeks; I doubt most people could be bothered to call when it normally comes back within 5 minutes.

I've not moved cables/computer/modem in close to a year other than to dump Knology's modem and put in my SB6120 about 2-1/2 months ago.

Any suggestions on how to get this bumped up the line past your basic in-the-box phone tech?

edit: sorry, I'm in the Lakebottom area.

zpm
join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA

zpm

um, sounds like noise in the local hub.... or it could be EMI but i highly doubt that. it's hard to say. might be the beginnings of an RF Reverse Tilt.

tarmons
@knology.net

tarmons to garfield

Anon

to garfield
We started having the same issue in Sears Woods area + sucky sound. Knology finally ended up doing some major thing at the street. They tried everything first, replacing box a couple of times, modem couple of times, adding power boosters. Finally three or four trucks finally came around 5 one day and did something across the street - not at my street connection. Something to do with power or whatever. I think after a certain number of users get on in an area things start to degrade.
kellodl
join:2005-01-23
Huntsville, AL

kellodl to garfield

to garfield
I had/have this same issue. I had cable guy come out and replace all cable lines and splitters. Then they replaced the main hub at my house. Then they said they'd have a lineman come and check out the lines, but I have no idea if he did or didn't. I'm still getting the symptoms where internet goes out, HD goes out then I tune to a normal definition channel and it's very grainey like a bad antenna signal. This happens mostly when i'm downloading, watching HD TV and gaming. So it may have something to do with the heavy load i'm putting on the system...no clue.
Either way here in Huntsville, AL it's a major issue for me.

zpm
join:2009-03-23
Columbus, GA

zpm

i have seen grainy channels... my HD TNT channel was going in and out, the only channel doing it...
kellodl
Huntsville, AL

kellodl to garfield

to garfield
I wonder if Knology ever reads this....somehow I doubt it.

Lark3po
Premium Member
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

said by kellodl:

I wonder if Knology ever reads this....somehow I doubt it.

They have in the past.
kellodl
Huntsville, AL

kellodl to garfield

to garfield
I would be curious to know if the amount of users on a hub degrades the signal at all. Being digital I can only assume that the answer is no. I know that bandwith is shared at the hub to the whole neighborhood, but I don't think that affects TV.

Anyone with the knowledge/experience know anything about the amount of users on a single hub affecting TV?
sledge149
join:2000-08-02
Prattville, AL

sledge149

When a node is designed, it is built with all loss built into the system.

For example, when a node designed for 250 subscribers gets it FIRST customer, that customer will have the same signal at his/her tap as the 250th customer. This is accomplished with taps that specify the loss at the tap port. Since amplifiers typically run out 45 over 36, the signal hitting the tap is relatively constant. When the tap value is say, a 23, and it is right next to the amplifier (that is on the main out) you can expect to have 22(on 860MHz) over 13 (on 55MHz) The loss at a 8 value tap nearly at termination will be different than the 23 next to the amp, but will be relatively constant.

So, in a ideal world where you dont have malfunctioning electronics, damaged taps or damaged cable a maxed out node with suffer no signal issues just because there are allot of customer on it.

The data side is different, of course, as all customers are sharing downstream bandwidth off the same CMTS. Docsis 3.0 mitigates this by channel bonding of the downstreams.

tidal
Tidal
Premium Member
join:2001-01-18
Madison, AL

tidal

Premium Member

I'm having the same issue for the last several months. Pings are horrible, tv looks like crap. They have replaced splitters, lines to the house, etc. every time there is a problem at the hub. Its aggravating as hell. Have another tech coming out on the 28th and for what? To tell me again that he can't find anything wrong?

The phone techs keep seeing 200+ ms pings to my modem. Which I bought my own after thinking it was their modem last time.

I wish I could get Comcast