Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to r81984

Re: Need More $

said by r81984:

Bandwidth is dirt cheap, it make sense to only charge for fix costs and not usage by the byte. Compression is irrelvant, also FYI they are already heavily compressed.

You misunderstood my point. The ISP's like to roll out talking heads that have no idea what they are talking about, using numbers pulled out of the sky. So Hyman stating a streamed 30 minute TV show (which is what, 21 minutes without commercials) would eat up a Gigabyte - just seems sloppy.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

If you have no idea how video bitrates, compression, and bandwidth work you should refrain from commenting on news stories involving them. TIA

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

said by 45612019:

If you have no idea how video bitrates, compression, and bandwidth work you should refrain from commenting on news stories involving them. TIA

Was your comment actually directed at me, or did you click the wrong reply button?

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

Yes it was. You appear to be under the impression that a 22 minute show would not work out to being a gigabyte in size. That is incorrect.

If a high definition episode of a 22 minute show DOESN'T work out to be at least 1 GB in size; even using the H.264 codec, that means it's been over-compressed and won't even be close to looking as good as the source material. And that's only 720p... 1080p requires a bitrate of at least 12 Mbps utilizing the H.264 codec before it starts approaching "good quality" territory.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

1 recommendation

An episode of 30 Rock, at 720p, should use no more than 560Mb. I guess if you are adding up the bandwidth both ways, you could call it a Gb. But the article and comment were directed just at the end user's ISP restrictions.

Netflix doesn't offer it in 1080p.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48
reply to Camelot One

said by Camelot One:

So Hyman stating a streamed 30 minute TV show (which is what, 21 minutes without commercials) would eat up a Gigabyte - just seems sloppy.

I guess, depends on if it's HD or not, there are episodes of some shows like Game of Thrones that are 1.5GB's just for 720p content, and I think without commercials is about 45 minutes long, so taking half of that out you could get around 750MB for 1 show, which is pretty close to 1GB, and I think it was more of an exaggeration so it wasn't so confusing for consumers. But then again maybe so it's not confusing for ISP's too, since they can't seem to realize 1GB is 1024MB's and not 1000MB's.....

Edit: I think his point was that watching one show could make you hit your cap and make you pay extra, just saying...

Matt
--
I am no longer an AT&T Employee. Check out my kudos! »/profile/1626573
Have U-verse questions? Please email uversecare@att.com and they will assist you!!

reply to 45612019

Not sure what your working with but I get excellent "recording" at 9.6 Mbps using H264 with little to zero macro-blocking in low-light, fast action scenes.You probably know, avchd and h264 codec struggle in low light, especially with lower bitrates, but it is the most efficient we have today when done right. I have encoded for years , on the old pc that's how long it took for one. Thank the the lord for transmuxing and mkv's. Quick and easy work now.