spc
Search similar:

uniqs
neilsh
join:2004-08-12
Bellevue, WA

neilsh

pk5000 or GT784wn?

The wifi on my actiontec gt701wg went bad a couple nights ago causing problems with both wifi and wired connections (PC's were often complaining about duplicate IP addresses and large numbers of dropped packets). Turning off the wireless fixed the problem.

So I need a new DSL+wireless modem. I can get a lightly used (two months) qwest branded actiontec PK5000 for $50 or I can go for a gt784wn. The amazon reviews for the PK5000 are middling. A number of the reviews complain about having to continually powercycle it and it not lasting long. The gt701 lasted 7 years (glad I purchased that instead of leasing).

The gt784 looks a bit more future proof with the wireless N. It has better reviews on Amazon, but I still see the occasional 'have to reboot daily' review.

What's the consensus on the most reliable ADSL modem with wireless these days?

Or should I ditch the idea of a reliable ADSL + Wireless modem and use a separate wifi router?

former qwest
@qwest.net

former qwest

Anon

i got the GT784wn from amazon two months ago, didn't have any I have not had any trouble with the 784, perfect self install, no re-sets, and why throw another machine (separate router) into the mix?