Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

High blower inop

'96 Chevy K2500 Diesel.
Today, the high blower doesn't work, other speeds work. Fuses are OK. Swapped relay with another of the same type, didn't help. What else to check before it goes to the shop?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

The blower resistor most likely. It costs less then $20.00 at rock auto or less. It depends on which you get. I do not know how hard it is to replace yourself.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
Well I don't think it's the blower motor resistor because normally high is just straight power.

If there is one thing I have noticed in our Ford Escape, Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Aerostar, Hyundai Elantra is that the A/C wires that go to the panel where you adjust temp, blower speed etc always run somewhat hot and over time lose their connectivity faster than any other wire. The cable just get's as I would say "crunchy". I would pull out the panel and find the wire that runs as a straight through to the blower motor, if you feel it cracking as your bending it slightly you might want to try replacing it or running a fresh wire and see if the blower motor kicks on at full speed.

Other than that though I would look into the actual panel itself.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

1 recommendation

TheHarvester to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
The high speed fan is powered by a relay and does not go through the resistor. It is located on top of the HVAC plenum behind the glove box area and near the resistor.
There is a 50 amp fuse under the hood and a 25 amp fuse under the dash that protect it. Since you say the other speeds work, the 25 amp fuse should be good but the 50 amp under the hood could be bad.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

I visually checked the fuse. However, I did not check it for continuity, which I will do tomorrow. (I've had fuses before that passed the visual check, but were cracked.)
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Did you check both? or just the 25 amp. As mentioned you have two. The 25 amp inside and the 50 amp under the hood.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

1 edit

McSummation

Premium Member

The 25 is the main fuse for the entire A/C system. Since the other blower speeds work, the 25 amp fuse is OK. I did a visual on both, but not a continuity check on the 50, which I will do this morning.

Edit: I just checked the 50 amp fuse for continuity and it is.