how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to Camelot One

Re: Need More $

If you have no idea how video bitrates, compression, and bandwidth work you should refrain from commenting on news stories involving them. TIA

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
said by 45612019:

If you have no idea how video bitrates, compression, and bandwidth work you should refrain from commenting on news stories involving them. TIA

Was your comment actually directed at me, or did you click the wrong reply button?

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
Yes it was. You appear to be under the impression that a 22 minute show would not work out to being a gigabyte in size. That is incorrect.

If a high definition episode of a 22 minute show DOESN'T work out to be at least 1 GB in size; even using the H.264 codec, that means it's been over-compressed and won't even be close to looking as good as the source material. And that's only 720p... 1080p requires a bitrate of at least 12 Mbps utilizing the H.264 codec before it starts approaching "good quality" territory.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

1 recommendation

An episode of 30 Rock, at 720p, should use no more than 560Mb. I guess if you are adding up the bandwidth both ways, you could call it a Gb. But the article and comment were directed just at the end user's ISP restrictions.

Netflix doesn't offer it in 1080p.

reply to 45612019
Not sure what your working with but I get excellent "recording" at 9.6 Mbps using H264 with little to zero macro-blocking in low-light, fast action scenes.You probably know, avchd and h264 codec struggle in low light, especially with lower bitrates, but it is the most efficient we have today when done right. I have encoded for years , on the old pc that's how long it took for one. Thank the the lord for transmuxing and mkv's. Quick and easy work now.