uniqs
share rss forum feed

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?

join:2003-10-01
Melbourne, FL

[Wireless] E3000 WiFi slows and router needs to be rebooted

Has anyone experienced the following problem:

E3000 runs fine. Then after a week or so, WiFi connections start to slowdown. If I don't do anything and wait another couple of weeks, I ultimately loose WiFi connection to my Blue Ray player and to all other WiFi devices.

For example, one of the WiFi connected computers was down to ~500 kbps download and ~300kbps up. I normally have to reboot the E3000 and then the same 802.11g enabled computer shows ~12 Mbps down and ~3 Mbps up (I have a 40Mbps/5Mbps service and I see this speed through my wired computers).

I have the most current CISCO/Linksys firmware (Ver.1.0.04 (build 6))

This seems like a memory leak.

Suggestions on how to fix this are welcome. Perhaps flasing a 3rd p[arty ROM?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
I flashed it with TomatoUSB myself and no issues.

I had other issues with the stock firmware, namely the fact that sometimes for no reason at all IP addresses on my local LAN became unpingable (and unable to be connected to). It was like the routing information for the IP address in question got messed up in the router and that either rebooting the router or applying a static route to the computer's routing table would fix it.

TomatoUSB has since fixed that issue for me.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse!

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?

join:2003-10-01
Melbourne, FL
Any special considerations?

When I checked TomatoUSB's site, it says that I needed a special version of the E3000 ("special E3000 Ext or VPN build required")

Did you flash a stock E3000?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
Yes, I did flash TomatoUSB onto the router using the stock firmware with no intermediate flash file in between.

Yes, there are two special versions of the TomatoUSB firmware for the E3000 router. One that's the standard firmware (the EXT version) and one that has special support added for VPN tunneling (the VPN version).

So unless you need to tunnel into a VPN for work, the EXT version will work fine for you.

Only suggestion that I learned the hard way is that after flashing the TomatoUSB is to clear the NVRAM. Once in TomatoUSB go to Administration > Configuration and under "Restore Default Configuration" choose "Erase all data in NVRAM memory". The router will reboot.

The username and password for the router after the NVRAM erase is "root" and "admin" respectively.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse!