spc
uniqs
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX to Camelot One

to Camelot One

Re: Need More $

You realize you can't just say 'You are wrong' without providing proof, right? If you do, it makes you look like an ignorant, opinionated douchebag.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by TheRogueX:

You realize you can't just say 'You are wrong' without providing proof, right? If you do, it makes you look like an ignorant, opinionated douchebag.

Pop in a DVD, read the FBI warning.
Netflix has agreements with the studios so they can stream, not just to get the discs at a discount.

But thank you for the comment. Next time I'll actually post something like this so as to not look like an ignorant, opinionated douchebag.
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX

That's great, but the FBI warning doesn't, in fact, prevent the rental of DVDs or BDs, which is what was being referenced... not streaming. Streaming is indeed another matter.

Also, please remember that in a debate or argument, it is the onus of the accuser to provide proof.. it's not our job to go look up proof. So if you say 'you are wrong' you are required to back up your statement or look like a fool.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by TheRogueX:

Also, please remember that in a debate or argument, it is the onus of the accuser to provide proof.. it's not our job to go look up proof. So if you say 'you are wrong' you are required to back up your statement or look like a fool.

Actually I barely cared enough about the subject to google it for you. I'm certainly not putting any further effort into this.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to TheRogueX

to TheRogueX
the FBI may not have any power to control this but the MPAA does and Netflix is required to pay for those movies that they rent. Blockbuster is/was required to do the same. And your local mom and pop rental house is required to do the same.

And there is no such thing as proof on here unless it comes from Google and Wiki (or a previous blog entry from a "writer". And if you want it; maybe you should learn that the Studio's pay the MPAA to represent them in court and battle their legal battles so they don't have to. the same with the RIAA and the other likes of those companies. Maybe you also should visit your state's website on starting a business and you'll find the same documents telling you on who you need to contact to protect yourself. After all those are all free legal documents the gov't provides.

gettagrip
@141.191.20.x

gettagrip to Camelot One

Anon

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

Pop in a DVD, read the FBI warning.
Netflix has agreements with the studios so they can stream, not just to get the discs at a discount.

But thank you for the comment. Next time I'll actually post something like this so as to not look like an ignorant, opinionated douchebag.

It's true that there is a license required to stream movies, but that is because the law considers streaming to be a public performance.

Also, if you read the FBI warning, it is fairly disingenuous as it highlights the worst-case scenario penalties for CRIMINAL copyright infringement. In order to qualify for that, you would need to make large numbers of copies of DVDs and sell them. Though it does mention distribution, renting a DVD is not considered to be distribution according to the law (see the EFF link in my other reply.)

The law does not consider rentals to be a public performance or copyright infringement, thus they are allowed under the First Sale Doctrine. Please see the links in my other reply.

It is unfortunate that there is so much FUD and misinformation floating around out there. It just confuses people.

I suggest you ask the nice folks at the EFF and they will provide the facts.
Expand your moderator at work