Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4

Re: Own you?

said by hottboiinnc4:

you may own the device- but not their network. Your monthly fee gives you the privilege to use it and they say what happens on it. If you don't like it; then there are other carriers that will take your business.

So what happens when no one is satisfied with all the carriers and the terms to use their network? Everyone should just put up with it and feel privileged to pay more for antiquated technology that's been around for 30 years now?

Matt
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

I can tell you the answer. We do without. Screw us! You want to participate in modern society? Too bad. Pay up or shut up!

Sucks, huh?
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to mmay149q

to mmay149q
You do as the carrier wishes and you agree to. You signed the contract agreeing to their terms of using that device. You know up front that it will cost you extra for the hotspot device then you agree to pay for it if you wish to use it.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to mmay149q

to mmay149q
I was supposed to be why net neutrality rules were attempted.
To ensure that carriers wouldn't 'double dip' or block certain services.
Instead - they just raise prices.
Personally - since there is a 2GB 'cap' (overage charged), they shouldn't care if I tether or not. Most likely, they'd like to keep those that have data lines from using the phone as a modem w/o extra revenue.
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory
said by jjeffeory:

I can tell you the answer. We do without. Screw us! You want to participate in modern society? Too bad. Pay up or shut up!

Sucks, huh?

Not really, if we unite as a nation and all decide to drop our phones I'm pretty sure the carriers will change their tune when all their customers leave, honestly, investors can't keep a company afloat if they aren't getting return on investment.

Matt
mmay149q

mmay149q to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

You do as the carrier wishes and you agree to. You signed the contract agreeing to their terms of using that device. You know up front that it will cost you extra for the hotspot device then you agree to pay for it if you wish to use it.

When I got my device the functionality was free, and since at the time PDANet was free and able to be downloaded on the Market I went that route to tether for free, so I didn't break any ToS or ToU, I used the device naturally with app's that were already in place on the Market. Since then VZW has changed my ToS/ToU so since they did that does that mean I should cancel my plan and pay an ETF? Naaaaah, I think not

Matt