Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SHADOW187

join:2009-04-22
Paramount, CA

2 edits

[TWC] Motorola SB6120 with Time warner cable in Los angeles

Has anyone recently provisioned a Motorola sb6120 in Southern California?I tried for 2 days to get them to activate it but they can't get it to work.The first time they said that the model number and mac address didn't coincide.The second time they told me that the modem wasn't in their system.I want to know if Time Warner still activates the Motorola sb6120's in Southern California.Thanks in advance for your help.

Basicallyevo

@svhscpas.com
I have a SB6120 modem and it works fine.

Try calling them again and making sure they re-add the mac id correctly. Have them read back to you what they entered into the computer so you can be certain about it.

I have the Sb6120 and the Turbo + with 20 down and 2 upload. If you can try to get the Turbo + as well or Turbo if you want. The good thing about getting turbo + with the Sb6120 is that when they introduce the extreme for 30 down 5 upload you will get a free bump up from 20/2 to 30/5 and keep your modem hopefully. New users will have to pay a $50 installation fee and use their SB6850 or whatever the hell is called.

SHADOW187

Paramount, CA
I tried calling them around 4 times and they always get the mac address correct but they tell me the model number doesn't match the mac address.The only way they can get it to register is if they use sb5120 instead of sb6120 in the system but I still can't access the internet.They transferred me to level 3 but the technician told me that I can't use a docsis 3.0 modem on a docsis 2.0 plan.How do you know that you will get a free bump up to extreme?Thanks for your response.

smileman

@rr.com
Shadow187, I tried before and failed. Then I tried the step posted by the Helper in NewEgg forum and it work right away. Here is the link »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···FullInfo
Good luck!

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
reply to SHADOW187
Heres something that is worth a try. Give them the serial number of the modem to add instead of the mac address. This ubee docsis 3.0 modem they are giving out to us in texas has to be added that way because the mac addresses won't work.

SHADOW187

Paramount, CA
Thanks to all of you for your help but I upgraded to turbo plus and I am now using the sbg6580 in bridge mode.I'll just probably sell this modem on ebay.Is the sbg6580 in bridge mode the same as the sb6120 or is the sb6120 still better?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
The biggest difference between the two is that the one they gave you has builtin wifi and a router and its also fully supported. TWC doesnt really officially support the 6120 but in some markets will allow it to be provisioned.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
Don't forget the 6580 can bond 8 downstream channels, while the 6120 can only bond 4.

csh1

@rr.com
reply to CptGemini
said by CptGemini:

Heres something that is worth a try. Give them the serial number of the modem to add instead of the mac address. This ubee docsis 3.0 modem they are giving out to us in texas has to be added that way because the mac addresses won't work.

said by CptGemini:

said by CptGemini:

said by CptGemini:

said by CptGemini:

MAc Addresses R How Ur Modems Get On Line Not serial number
A MAc Is UR Modem And Computers ID On The Internet

phrider

join:1999-12-17
Pasadena, CA
reply to SHADOW187
What other DOCSIS 3 modems work with TWC in Los Angeles (esp the Hollywood district)? The SB6121? The Cisco DPC3010?

As I understand, the Motorola models SB6120 and SB6121 have 4 channels down and 4 up. The SB6580 has 8 down and 4 up, but has the integrated router that I don't want. And the SB6180 -- is it available on the street?

The Cisco DPC3010 modem has 8 channels down and 4 up.

What will TWC provision for a Turbo or Turbo Plus customer in Los Angeles?

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
reply to csh1
@csh1 I know that I am not that dumb lol. I was stating the issues they had with the mac addresses on the ubee D3 modems they hand out here. They did not work but what did was the serial number.