spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

Piracy

Well, with the increasing restrictions being set forth against Netflix and similar services, the studios should expect an equivalent increase in piracy. I for one currently obtain most of my video materials legally through Netflix. However I will steer back towards Piracy if forced to by A: exponentially increasing prices to/from Netflix or B: upcoming lack of content provided to/from Netflix.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

Content providers were interested in using Netflix and Hulu as a piracy alternative, but now that they have mostly succeeded in crippling bandwidth and filtering the internet they are switching back to the old very profitable business model. They didn't expect it to be so easy.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast

sorry to say but they haven't succeeded in much of anything. Piracy is just as strong today if not stronger than it was 3-5 years ago. Content providers don't have a clue how to stop it. Legal means won't stop people from pirating. I don't think anyone really has any idea how to manage it.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX

1 edit

Offer content at a reasonable price and make it very accessible though internet or cable/satellite/telecom providers. I can't really justify spending 15-20 dollars on a new movie release that I watch maybe 2-3 times tops, nor spending 10-12 dollars a movie ticket on top of insane concession prices. I also hate to deal with people in public who are the center of the universe talking on their cell phone or not caring their kid is screaming. Netflix has been a excellent source of my movie entertainment and if they decide to jerk them around because they want a business model that's not fit for the state of the economy/changing times then they deserve to lose money to piracy. I'm not saying they shouldn't get money but they shouldn't expect so much money for newer content that is generally pretty bad nowadays. I figure within 5 years they will give in because there already bleeding cash because the DVD and Blu Ray sales are going down every year.

--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

sorry to say but they haven't succeeded in much of anything. Piracy is just as strong today if not stronger than it was 3-5 years ago. Content providers don't have a clue how to stop it. Legal means won't stop people from pirating. I don't think anyone really has any idea how to manage it.

Piracy is easy to beat but that would mean the studios would have to:
• Have no DRM
• Have decent encode rates
• No waits
• Priced fairly
• No required proprietary player software
-
this is EXACTLY why piracy isn't going anywhere.
--
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

said by dvd536:

said by ArrayList:

Piracy is easy to beat but that would mean the studios would have to:
• Have no DRM
• Have decent encode rates
• No waits
• Priced fairly
• No required proprietary player software
-
this is EXACTLY why piracy isn't going anywhere.

its sad when the illegal method is the easiest to use from the user standpoint.

while I am waiting for the unskippable crap on a legit storebought DVD/Blu-Ray to go passed the Pirate is already several minutes into the film.

Games, the Legit user is finding out their CDrom drive is not compatible with the DRM or that they cannot play on their gaming quality laptop while not connected to the internet. the Pirate is playing without hitches(Steam being the exception to this, it works great for most people and is a great solution)

Music, the customer is stuck fearing rootkits on their CDs or downloads limited to certain devices and services that do not let you redownload purchases(If steam lets me redownload games, music services should have unlimited downloads of purchases as well). Pirates get media in formats that plays on all devices and under any operating system.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to ArrayList

60% of broadband connections are capped. More usage billing is on its way. You won't pirate if it costs you money to download the bytes.

Soon ISPs will start throttling your connection for suspicious downloads. Again, you can't pirate if you can't download.

The government is seizing domains and servers, and putting website operators in jail. Can't pirate if the content is offline.

The content providers have indeed figured it out. Lawsuits are too clumsy when they can degrade the internet itself.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast

i suppose you are right. that is the most obvious ways of pirating.

pirates will pirate that is what they do.

domain seizures haven't done anything. the US Government can only control domains that are under direct control of US-based registrars. Many sites are moving to foreign-based tlds. And there will be decentralized root dns servers soon. this will circumvent anything the content providers try to do on this front.

What ISP throttles customers connections? Comcast tried this and they got bitch-slapped by the DOJ. If an ISP throttles a consumers connection they will get calls about poor performance which will increase their costs as customer service gets flooded with calls. They don't want this. Usage based billing only exists on a very small number of ISPs. AT&T is about the only national ISP I know of that does this right now and they don't even have a working usage meter.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to aciddrink

the MPAA thinks they are winning with their government stooges attacking websites. but I think this quote from Starwars correctly reflects how the true state of combating piracy is in reality.

"Princess Leia: The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports