greenbed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
Cambridge, MA

1 edit

greenbed

Premium Member

[Caps] Went 5GB over limit, got warning call from comcast

Yes 5gb is enough to trigger a response from Comcast. I asked for my speed to be decreased so that it would take longer to reach this limit and they said it would cost more money to downgrade my internet connection due to my bundle!
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

1 recommendation

ExoticFish

Re: Went 5GB over limit, got warning call from comcast

So um, keep track of your usage ?

LoPhatPhuud
MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM

LoPhatPhuud to greenbed

MVM

to greenbed
Check your usage meter.

Go to Customer Central: (»customer.comcast.com/Pub ··· spx?eqs=)

Login with the Primary Account

Select Users & Settings.

Your usage meter is there.
greenbed
Premium Member
Cambridge, MA

greenbed

Premium Member

Is there a way to check this without using bandwith? It seems wrong that they make you use your bandwith to check....

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson

Premium Member

said by greenbed:

Is there a way to check this without using bandwith? It seems wrong that they make you use your bandwith to check....

You could check your usage a hundred million times a month and not hit 250GB

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

4 edits

gate1975mlm to greenbed

Premium Member

to greenbed
You got a call for just going over by 5GB?

That really sucks!

I guess it depends on the area you live in because I have seen lots of users downloading like 400GB + for several months in a row and never have received a call yet from comcast.

Did the comcast rep yell at you for downloading 255GB in 1 month or was he nice about it?

I myself have gone over the the 250 Cap the last 2 months by like 40GB each month and luckly have not recevied a phone call from comcast. I really do try and stay under 250GB cap but sometimes its very hard with all the HD content out on the net

Comcast really needs to get rid of the 250GB cap or at least raise it to 300GB or more!!

Even though I have not recevied a call myself from comcast yet if they do not remove this F-ing 250 Cap or at least raise it to over 300GB I will 100% switch to Fios when it comes to my area!!

I am a long time comast user but will switch to Fios becasue they do not have a cap! And it would be nice being able to download all you want without having to worry about this 250GB Cap bull shit!
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to greenbed

to greenbed
is this your first time going over the limit or you've done this several times?

and it looks like the OP doesn't know about the usage meter...just like the other guy in another thread.

dubfanatic
@comcast.net

dubfanatic

Anon

The usage meter is not available everywhere. I do not have a usage meter on my account settings page (I live in Everett, WA)

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to greenbed

Premium Member

to greenbed
Got a screenshot from your usage page?
Expand your moderator at work

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman to greenbed

MVM

to greenbed

So, your options are:

-Don't go over 250GB/Month again for 6 months or you will be banned for 1 year.

-Get a router that can stop your connection when you reach 250GB/Month (I know Netgear's can do this, possibly others).

-Switch to business class

-Switch ISPs.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to greenbed

to greenbed

Re: [Caps] Went 5GB over limit, got warning call from comcast

slow it down so you dont go over?! ummm how about you just be aware of what your downloading?

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne to greenbed

Premium Member

to greenbed

said by greenbed:

There's an APP for that ... for your phone, which won't use bandwidth from your Comcast HSI. It does use bandwidth from your data plan though.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium Member
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

pianotech to LoPhatPhuud

Premium Member

to LoPhatPhuud
said by LoPhatPhuud:

Check your usage meter.

Go to Customer Central: (»customer.comcast.com/Pub ··· spx?eqs=)

Login with the Primary Account

Select Users & Settings.

Your usage meter is there.

Except when it isn't. Mine's been gone for a week now with the "system cannot process" error. This is a widespread problem that's noted in dslr forums.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly to Anon

to Anon
I take it you have tv service too? I would think Comcast would be leniant on people who have tv, like no caps for people with tv and caps with no tv... since they want to protect their stupid television sheez
JigglyWiggly

1 edit

JigglyWiggly to gar187er

to gar187er

Or uploading.
greenbed
Premium Member
Cambridge, MA

greenbed to baineschile

Premium Member

to baineschile

said by baineschile:

Got a screenshot from your usage page?

Yup here it is, first time ever going even close to the limit....
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
CC could careless about you and what you think. Also remember customers and the users on this board asked for that cap. Remember that?!?!?! I can even give you the name of the person that demanded a hard cap. They came up with 250 - it used to vary depending on your market and the network there.

And VZ will have caps soon and you bet they won't be anything higher than what is deemed industry standard.
hottboiinnc4

hottboiinnc4 to greenbed

to greenbed
you can bet that they're watching due to how fast the usage goes up each month.
StLCardsFan
join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan to greenbed

to greenbed

yet the reasons continue to grow daily why municipal fiber builds are a necessary evil.

5gb over ...wtf. There was a time when Comcast was stellar. I dunno what happened to them. Its not like they lose money.

These caps are crap honestly. What they should do instead is say ok ... since 250gb is the cap .... and your internet is 50 dollars a month ... 250gb/50 dollars ... simply charge people 5 dollars a gb.

This would change the tune of raping customers. No monthly fees ... some people would be paying 5 dollars ...some would be paying 100 dollars. The end.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

Please no, that sounds like metered billing
StLCardsFan
Lafayette, LA

StLCardsFan

said by nysports4evr:

Please no, that sounds like metered billing

thats what they are doing now... so how is that different? if its really only 2% of people using most of the bandwidth ... 98% of people would see a dramatic reduction in the bill.

or ..why are the caps even in place? Same standards as above mentioned ...if there are 20 homes on your node ..each is allowed 250gb ... 10 homes use 50gb ... and 10 use 300gb ... there is a surplus of 2000gb from the first 10 homes (just say 2tb) and an overage of 500gb from the last 10 homes.

So that means there is 1.5tb of surplus data bandwidth ...and yet they say the lines are congested. Its all bs. there is no justification to overage charges.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

No, they are not doing metered billing now... I don't want to see them starting to charge $ per gigabyte, that's a slippery slope I don't want to go down.
StLCardsFan
Lafayette, LA

1 edit

StLCardsFan

said by nysports4evr:

No, they are not doing metered billing now... I don't want to see them starting to charge $ per gigabyte, that's a slippery slope I don't want to go down.

how are they not doing metered billing? you pay x amount for 250gb of data ..the end. If you don't use 250gb then you are obviously paying more per gb than say your neighbor that does.

I guess you missed my point. Cable companies have enjoyed raping customers for decades with healthy 40-50% margins ..at the very least.

With those kinds of numbers and the only 2% of people using most of the bandwidth argument holds no merit.

So... the rest of the people that bitch about the 2% using all the bandwidth should be happy that they are no longer getting raped getting charged by the gb ..their bills go down ... heavy users bills go up.

I personally don't like any hindrance of any kind on the net with regards to speed or access. I think it should be an open race ..kinda run what your brung type atmosphere. Charge the same for everyone (like a toll road) and youre off to the races.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to greenbed

Premium Member

to greenbed

said by greenbed:

Get a router that keeps track of internet usage.

The bandwidth to check usage is nominal, if you did nothing but check every minute for a month you wouldn't use close to a gigabyte of your cap.