share rss forum feed

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

1 recommendation

reply to JMac001

Re: the new Yahoo! reads! your! emails!

That option might have been removed, but for those of us still using the classic version we aren't being forced to upgrade. I use Yahoo mail and have done so for a very long time. If they ever force me to "upgrade" I will have to rethink using them for email. I guess ad revenue wasn't enough so now they are doing this. It's sad and pathetic what free email has become now, but I guess they have to make money somehow in order to offer this service for free.
--
An expert is a man who tells you a simple thing in a confused way in such a fashion as to make you think the confusion is your own fault.

JMac001
Premium
join:2006-05-20
Ridley Park, PA
said by Lagz:

That option might have been removed, but for those of us still using the classic version we aren't being forced to upgrade. I use Yahoo mail and have done so for a very long time. If they ever force me to "upgrade" I will have to rethink using them for email. I guess ad revenue wasn't enough so now they are doing this. It's sad and pathetic what free email has become now, but I guess they have to make money somehow in order to offer this service for free.

rawhide,

WHen I opened my Yahoo Mail page today it was already showing the new version, with the usual "We welcome you to the new Yahoo..." stuff. I tried to go back after reading that earlier post here but couldn't find out how. Then I looked at the Help pages and saw that note I posted. IOW they had already "pushed" me to the new version before I got there today. Creeps.

Jim
--
J-Mac

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

1 recommendation

reply to Lagz
said by Lagz:

I have several Yahoo accounts for years as well and so far so good in holding to the Classic version.

I did switch one account that I rarely use to the new version and the option to switch back to Classic is indeed gone, but in one of their recent "Upgrade" emails, I did find this:

Your Alternatives
If you're not ready to upgrade now, we recommend that you upgrade soon.
You may access your current version of Yahoo! Mail, but we strongly encourage you to either upgrade to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail or review Yahoo! Mail Help for other options.

»help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/y···ion.html
What if I don’t want to upgrade to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail?
You will have the option to access your mail through Yahoo! Mail Classic.

bmialone
Premium
join:2009-08-15
Anchorage, AK
Reviews:
·GCI.net

1 recommendation

reply to Lagz
said by Lagz:

I guess ad revenue wasn't enough so now they are doing this. It's sad and pathetic what free email has become now, but I guess they have to make money somehow in order to offer this service for free.

I pay for my Yahoo account and so do many other people. Therefore, I especially resent Yahoo scanning my email for harvesting or for any other reason.

Frankly, it is wrong for any company to do it, whether it is a free or paid account because most of the public considers the content their own and private after they've set up an account and password protected it. They think of it as mail, just like they do their snail mail. Regardless of the technology used or the legal arguments allowed to fly merely because privacy laws have not kept up with technological advances combined with corporate greed, the fact that most of the general public believe their written communications are private makes it wrong.

red2

@fastwebnet.it
said by bmialone:

Regardless of the technology used or the legal arguments allowed to fly merely because privacy laws have not kept up with technological advances combined with corporate greed, the fact that most of the general public believe their written communications are private makes it wrong.

Very well stated. Just because something can be done, does not mean that it should be done. It's funny to hear how these things are justified. (Like the banks needing bailouts, yet finding the money to pay our bonuses to those who made bad bets, and then turning around to foreclose on those whose taxes paid for the bailout.)

Companies like Yahoo and Google are NOT poor. They've just set their sights on a much larger pie. There will never be enough profit to satisfy their ambitions, and in that respect, Yahoo and Google have done little to differentiate themselves from Microsoft (Hotmail).

Invasions into privacy will inevitably be misused, fall into the wrong third party hands, etc. The principle of these new marketing efforts is just wrong, but finding a trustworthy email provider is as difficult as finding a trustworthy bank.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to bmialone
said by bmialone:

said by Lagz:

I guess ad revenue wasn't enough so now they are doing this. It's sad and pathetic what free email has become now, but I guess they have to make money somehow in order to offer this service for free.

I pay for my Yahoo account and so do many other people. Therefore, I especially resent Yahoo scanning my email for harvesting or for any other reason.

Frankly, it is wrong for any company to do it, whether it is a free or paid account because most of the public considers the content their own and private after they've set up an account and password protected it. They think of it as mail, just like they do their snail mail. Regardless of the technology used or the legal arguments allowed to fly merely because privacy laws have not kept up with technological advances combined with corporate greed, the fact that most of the general public believe their written communications are private makes it wrong.

And have you looked at Facebook? Geeze, they scan your profiles, posts, etc. and then sell that data to interested customers. How do you think they've become so successful. This is personal information and it's worth $$$s.