Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I'll pay less

I had the 1 DVD plan in case I wanted to rent a DVD, but had only used the streaming. You can bet I won't pay $8 for a DVD I may rent someday. It makes better sense to support my local rental businesses if and when I may rent something.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

Re: I'll pay less

said by Selenia:

I had the 1 DVD plan in case I wanted to rent a DVD, but had only used the streaming. You can bet I won't pay $8 for a DVD I may rent someday. It makes better sense to support my local rental businesses if and when I may rent something.

I may continue to pay for streaming, but not paying $8/month for a DVD. Surely not paying $16 for both.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

I'm tempted to just ditch all together. $8/month for DVD & streaming more than made sense. However:

• Netflix's streaming option currently isn't worth $8/month alone to access.
• $8/month for DVD rentals is overpriced. I'd rather just go with Redbox.

I guess I'll just use up my remaining gift card credits and then pull out. Maybe if Netflix could actually make the streaming a real service with this switch, I might come back.

HappyAnarchy
@iauq.com

HappyAnarchy

Anon

said by Thaler:

I'm tempted to just ditch all together. $8/month for DVD & streaming more than made sense. However:

I don't understand all this talk about Redbox being a better deal. More expensive, more restrictive on when you can watch and only about 1/1,000th of the selection, if that. Especially when you are losing out on some of the awesome obscure titles, I will keep the DVDs, lose the streaming and keep enjoying my movies at whatever pace I feel like rather than always feeling rushed to return them in one day. Even then, $8 a month is only 8 movies, and even at the rate I watch movies that isn't much savings.
bugabuga
join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

bugabuga

Generally people don't watch obscure indie movies (sad, I know). They just want some current or recent blockbuster once in a while, and nothing beats Redbox for that purpose -- on a whim pick up a disk for a buck (or less - they have promo codes too) watch it, drop it off, done.
Versus fixed fee for a month...

Of course for someone who does a lot of DVD watching Netflix is better

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to HappyAnarchy

Premium Member

to HappyAnarchy
said by HappyAnarchy :

I don't understand all this talk about Redbox being a better deal. More expensive, more restrictive on when you can watch and only about 1/1,000th of the selection, if that.

My use for mailed DVDs is pretty much exclusive to new releases (which are very hesitant to be streamed), which Redbox excells at stocking for cheap. Also, if you have access to tons of Redbox rental coupons (ie. Groupon) they're an even cheaper alternative.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Thaler

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

With the extra revenue Netflix can get more content for streaming.

$8 for renting DVDs is too much? Compared to the $4 per video store or you cable company on PPV will charge.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

$8 for renting DVDs is too much? Compared to the $4 per video store or you cable company on PPV will charge.

$1 or less for Redbox rentals. $5 for Bluray if I buy them on sale.

$8/month compared to these options seems rather expensive.

Lark3po
Premium Member
join:2003-08-05
Madison, AL

Lark3po

Premium Member

said by Thaler:

said by 88615298:

You do realize you can get more than one (1) DVD a month right? Hell, if you played your cards right and put the movies back in the mail box after watching them you could probably squeeze in ten (10) or so movies in a month for $8...
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Thaler

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

said by 88615298:

Well you could very well rent 10 movies a month on the 1 DVD at a time option. That's 80 cents per movie. Oh and if you think redbox is staying at $1 you're nuts.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

Well you could very well rent 10 movies a month on the 1 DVD at a time option. That's 80 cents per movie. Oh and if you think redbox is staying at $1 you're nuts.

Well when that changes, I might consider Netflix again. Until then, they're still a best buy.
ShellMMG
join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI

ShellMMG to Thaler

to Thaler
We'll probably end up ditching our one-at-a-time plan as well.

My husband has been doing a lot of traveling the past two years and, hotel bandwidth permitting, he'd find something to watch on Netflix. We don't have access to real broadband at home yet, so it would just be a waste of money.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson to Jeff

to Jeff
I have to agree here. I currently pay $8/month for just streaming anyways. This doesn't effect me any. Netflix has enough content available right now for me to continue to pay $8/month. Although admittedly I am eating through the content at a decent pace. Once I'm through watching everything they have to offer (that interests me), I'll probably ditch it for a while to allow new content to build back up.
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to Selenia

to Selenia
EXCELLENT !!!
Videoport in Portland,ME.The more customers will be great.I might even get my job back.I was just let go after 18 full years there on Firday due to Poopflix.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

said by gorehound:

EXCELLENT !!!
Videoport in Portland,ME.The more customers will be great.I might even get my job back.I was just let go after 18 full years there on Firday due to Poopflix.

So how much are the DVD rentals. How much selection did they have?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to gorehound

Premium Member

to gorehound
Ah, you worked in the buggy whip industry, then?

No, your old job is not coming back.
rifleman69
join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR

rifleman69 to Selenia

to Selenia
said by Selenia:

I dumped the physical DVD...some of those I've had for 3-4 months without watching the movie. That adds up fast! Streaming it is, with the physical DVD coming from RedBox or Blockbuster Express if need be.

MrMaster
Rum Connoisseur
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
St Thomas, VI

MrMaster to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
local rental business? I think you may have to travel a far distance for a "local rental business."

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

said by MrMaster:

local rental business? I think you may have to travel a far distance for a "local rental business."

2 are within about a half mile of my work. Geez! I just don't know if I can make it that far.