Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

Corporate Bullshit Spin

As you stated, it's completely because of the beating they are going to get in upcoming negotiations, and nothing to do with them realizing all of a sudden that they have their price structure out of whack.

The email I received from Netflix explaining the price increase was curt, at best. "Hi Jeff. Doubling your price, effective 9/1. Thanks!".

An upcoming vote with my wallet decision happening this Fall.
tdouglas22
join:2001-09-25
Memphis, TN

tdouglas22

And honestly, how do you expect them to stay in business in the first place? I know it sucks when prices go up because I don't like it either. But this rant about corporate crap is just a bunch of crap too. If Netflix expects to keep turning profits then they have to change and adapt with the times as well. Besides, the prices aren't super expensive. I see this as a way to move people to the streaming only option anyway.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium Member
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

pianotech

Premium Member

All in all, still a good deal.

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff to tdouglas22

Premium Member

to tdouglas22
said by tdouglas22:

I see this as a way to move people to the streaming only option anyway.

Netflix's streaming content has a long way to go.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

1 recommendation

Matt3

Premium Member

said by Jeff:

said by tdouglas22:

I agree Jeff. I voted with my wallet several months ago. It was neat at first, but they just never added any content that I thought was worth the price -- it was all niche stuff.
d1gw33d
join:2009-06-20
Clovis, CA

d1gw33d to Jeff

to Jeff
You're going to vote with your wallet how exactly? Cancelling Netflix? Considering Netflix has been putting out an extremely great value for years as well as treating customers with respect and fair pricing you want to punish Netflix for being completely raped by the greed orientated content providers?
d1gw33d

d1gw33d to Matt3

to Matt3
I don't understand this. You read BBR so I would imagine you're aware the restrictions content providers place on Netflix. Yet you blame Netflix for lack of content?
d1gw33d

d1gw33d to Jeff

to Jeff
Compared to what?

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff to d1gw33d

Premium Member

to d1gw33d
said by d1gw33d:

You're going to vote with your wallet how exactly? Cancelling Netflix? Considering Netflix has been putting out an extremely great value for years as well as treating customers with respect and fair pricing you want to punish Netflix for being completely raped by the greed orientated content providers?

Yes, cancelling. I'll give them until their date (9/1/11) to change their pricing tier up a bit and if they do, and do it properly, I'd reconsider. Netflix had (note: tense) been putting out a good value for some time; a reason I've been a member since May of 2003. Like anything else, times can change.

I get that it's not entirely Netflix's fault. Netflix isn't my kid, my goal isn't to punish. My goal is to find the best value for me, and for my dollar. For certain, I'll be cancelling the DVD option. One or two DVDs/month (my consumption) isn't worth it. I'm cancelling the streaming as well unless their streaming library content improves. I know this is not Netflix withholding the streaming content...but if they don't have what I like, I'm leaving.

Today, there are other services and other means out there. I'm not the only one. Check out how many comments on Netflix's blog post.
Jeff

2 edits

1 recommendation

Jeff to d1gw33d

Premium Member

to d1gw33d
said by d1gw33d:

I don't understand this. You read BBR so I would imagine you're aware the restrictions content providers place on Netflix. Yet you blame Netflix for lack of content?

I'm blaming Netflix for giving a bullshit excuse for the incredible price increase. Do you work for Netflix?

If you look for the last post (months ago?) on Netflix, I am a tremendous supporter of them. If they would just explain that they are going be raped by Hollywood and renegotiations, may be people would be more sympathetic.

Edit: Here is that last post of mine I spoke of. And I still haven't seen Dexter.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

1 recommendation

Matt3 to d1gw33d

Premium Member

to d1gw33d
said by d1gw33d:

Absolutely. It's Netflix's business model. Why should I continue to pay them for a product that doesn't meet my needs? I'd like to see them succeed, but I'm not willing to donate my money to a for-profit company. Adapt, evolve, or die already. (Or in the case of Netflix; adapt, evolve, or be killed off the by the content owners.)

Look at the success Apple has had against the big bad record labels. If Netflix can't man-handle the video content providers in the same manner, maybe new management is in order?

I would happily pay more for Netflix if they had streaming content I want. But in general, just having to pay for content at all is taboo around these parts. Everything should be "all free, all the time."
Matt3

1 recommendation

Matt3 to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
said by Jeff:

If you look for the last post (months ago?) on Netflix, I am a tremendous supporter of them. If they would just explain that they are going be raped by Hollywood and renegotiations, may be people would be more sympathetic.

And it might bring some attention to the real issue, the price and restrictions put on the content by the distribution companies.
gorehound
join:2009-06-19
Portland, ME

gorehound to Jeff

to Jeff
the more who cancel poopflix the happier i am.

bbrkdub
join:2001-10-03
San Antonio, TX

bbrkdub to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

I agree Jeff. I voted with my wallet several months ago. It was neat at first, but they just never added any content that I thought was worth the price -- it was all niche stuff.

Niche stuff? You cannot be serious. Not only do they have almost all the Hollywood releases, both new and old, but they also have tons of great foreign films and documentaries, and numerous TV series. They have far more options than any Blockbuster and Hollywood video I've ever rented from in the past...and without the late rental fee hassle.
rifleman69
join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR

rifleman69 to gorehound

to gorehound
said by gorehound:

You're not getting your job back. Sorry.
d1gw33d
join:2009-06-20
Clovis, CA

d1gw33d to Jeff

to Jeff
There's no need to try to convince me you're a fan of Netflix. I really don't care - I just noticed your comments seemed to be up in arms about Netflix when even with the price increase ($6/month... really dude?) it's more than fair compared to the options available.

Which we can review;

Cable - Please. Please sell me a bundle of channels which are 95% not of interest and charge me $100/month. Oh but you can save $ by bundling services! $180.

Satellite - Same... only with contracts!

iTunes/Vudu/Etc - Charge per movie. No thanks.

Redbox/Retail - No.

Hulu - lol

Netflix - Streaming only @ $7.99 and so so content with a few gems each month.

Piracy - Fine with me and free.

But yes. "Vote" with your wallet any way you want. It's your life. I'll still call you a moron.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Jeff

to Jeff
said by Jeff:

said by tdouglas22:

Because they need more money for more content. You guys think Netflix is as fucking bank and can print it's own money or something. First you bitch that streaming sucks and they need more content then you bitch when they raise prices to get the money for more content from streaming.

Who cares
@rr.com

Who cares to tdouglas22

Anon

to tdouglas22
If they keep raising prices NO ONE EXPECTS THEM TO STAY IN BUSINESS!!

Jeff
Premium Member
GMT -5

Jeff to d1gw33d

Premium Member

to d1gw33d
said by d1gw33d:

There's no need to try to convince me you're a fan of Netflix. I really don't care - I just noticed your comments seemed to be up in arms about Netflix when even with the price increase ($6/month... really dude?) it's more than fair compared to the options available.

You're not really that swift at reading comprehension, are you? I'm not upset about the price. I'm upset about how it's being done, and the false reason described by Netflix behind it.
said by d1gw33d:

Piracy - Fine with me and free.

This is where you and I disagree. I don't find piracy to be fine. I find it to be conveinent and easy, but that's about it. There needs to be a fair line someplace between the raping of the customer and piracy.
said by d1gw33d:

But yes. "Vote" with your wallet any way you want. It's your life. I'll still call you a moron.

You know many people are switching to decaf these days. You should consider it.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
said by Jeff:

Hollywood rape or not, I just can't see paying $8/month for partial access to a "best of the 80s" movie streaming service.

If this move will finally make their streaming service whole & complete, then great - I'll stay and be a happy customer. However, paying $8/month for the service they offer today is asking too much from my wallet.
Thaler

1 recommendation

Thaler to bbrkdub

Premium Member

to bbrkdub
said by bbrkdub:

Niche stuff? You cannot be serious. Not only do they have almost all the Hollywood releases, both new and old, but they also have tons of great foreign films and documentaries, and numerous TV series.

This is my reenactment of all my Netflix streaming use with friends & family:

"Hey, there was that movie that came out on DVD a couple months ago. Want to watch it?"
"Sure!"
"Damn, it's not avaliable for streaming. Want me to add it to queue?"
"Nah, we'll just go down to Redbox and pick it up for the evening."

Netflix streaming is a great way to kill time if you're not particular in what you watch. However, if you want to watch specific content, it's almost always not available for streaming.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to Jeff

Premium Member

to Jeff
Enjoy your PayTV. Guess what it's going to cost you a lot more.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to Jeff

to Jeff
I agree here. September 1st is my quit day. I'm not going to contribute to the content providers raping any more.

They are so ignorant, and turning people into pirates by doing this. I refuse to pay more to keep Netflix afloat which will give the providers no reason to actually stop raping us.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to rifleman69

to rifleman69
said by rifleman69:

said by gorehound:

You're not getting your job back. Sorry.

He's like the blacksmith that kept complaining about those damned "horseless carriages instead of being creative and start selling tires."