The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Actually this may be a brilliant move on the part of Netflix

Imagine if you will....everybody dumps the Netflix streaming. ISP's no longer can justify their caps (not that they could anyway) or would find it very difficult to do so. Public cries foul so loudly that providers have no choice but to back down on this cap crap. Refusal to comply brings in the feds...who clean the cap business up once and for all...Netflix changes direction back to increasing streaming subs...this time without ISP interference because they won't be able to do anything about it.

Brilliant tactical move on behalf of Netflix....if it all plays out
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

Rather far-fetched. As one of the few legal high-bandwidth internet applications Netflix had a good case against caps on anti-trust grounds. All other heavy use of the internet is done by pedophiles and thieves.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
You forgot "Once upon and time..." and "...the end."

Sounds great on paper, just don't think it'll play out like that.

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
It may be the other way around. Maybe Netflix really doesn't want you to rent DVD's. I'm sure it costs them a lot less to stream to you vs. postage, handling, replacement, and everything else that goes along with physical media.

Many here said they are dropping the DVD part and going with streaming. Netflix says they are sticking with physical DVD's, but if I were them I'd rather not deal with DVD's at all.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
If Netflix drops streaming (not by their own desire) than I see movie companies and production studios doing something similar to HBO. Each will come out with their own app for a monthly fee and we then have a-la-carte apps at a significant higher price than what we pay now. And if you believe the movie/music/ISPs ect, we "deserve" to pay such a high price.

TCub
Premium Member
join:2008-09-03
Olmsted Falls, OH

TCub to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
"public cries foul" ??? Why wouldn't they just do that now with the caps... Why does that involve Netflix raising their prices? (That's rhetorical by the way.. I read your post.. it's just really stupid).
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

All other heavy use of the internet is done by pedophiles and thieves.

Wow! That is a pretty bold statement.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
the problem with that? im not going to dump streaming, im not going to dump dvd's, im going to dump BOTH! since i only watch maybe 5 dvd's a month, but watch streaming mostly. i see no point in paying $16 to do both, and i see no point in keeping one over the other (only used dvd's for dad any way, hes 70 tryd teachin him how to use the wii) so if i have to dump his dvd's im dumping my streaming.

in other words, this didnt just cost them one or the other, it cost them a customer out right.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to TCub

Premium Member

to TCub
said by TCub:

"public cries foul" ??? Why wouldn't they just do that now with the caps... Why does that involve Netflix raising their prices? (That's rhetorical by the way.. I read your post.. it's just really stupid).

Dude get over yourself....seriously!

And for the rest of the peeps in this thread I must confess. My whole post was tongue n cheek....not serious at all

Gotcha...sorry I just couldn't resist the temptation.

But I'm sure deep down in the dark offices of Netflix someone came up with exactly this plan.

TCub
Premium Member
Olmsted Falls, OH

TCub

Premium Member

Don't tell me what to do jerk!

Tongue in cheek my ass! (Wait... that sounds kind of... kinky.... ...... .... we'll save that one for later).

I bet you work for Netflix. Your the asshat who came up with.. what? No one at the Netflix HD thought it was a good idea - so you came here to pitch it? Well it didn't work!

I just got the email.. Makes me kinda sad though. I like how they say "There are lots of options for home entertainment and we appreciate you choosing Netflix" ... um.... Well now you just said you're raising the cost for the same service....

But - I'll keep it.... I actually think the Streaming service isn't too bad.. there are some decent TV shows and some alright movies. Enough to pay $10 a month for in my opinion.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to scott2020

Premium Member

to scott2020
Netflix has no choice at this point but to continue offering DVDs.
If you look at some of the newer TV series only one or two seasons are available for streaming and the rest are on DVD.

Unless Netflix works out a deal to steam all of the seasons of any show a customer will need to pay for both services which IMO is just not worth it as their available content is not all that great IMO. YMMV
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to TCub

Premium Member

to TCub
said by TCub:

Don't tell me what to do jerk!

Tongue in cheek my ass! (Wait... that sounds kind of... kinky.... ...... .... we'll save that one for later).

I bet you work for Netflix. Your the asshat who came up with.. what? No one at the Netflix HD thought it was a good idea - so you came here to pitch it? Well it didn't work!

I just got the email.. Makes me kinda sad though. I like how they say "There are lots of options for home entertainment and we appreciate you choosing Netflix" ... um.... Well now you just said you're raising the cost for the same service....

But - I'll keep it.... I actually think the Streaming service isn't too bad.. there are some decent TV shows and some alright movies. Enough to pay $10 a month for in my opinion.

My my we're a touchy little beast now aren't we and you eat with that mouth...amazing!

My whole post was pure sarcasim. I happen to be one of the 1 dvd plus unlimited streaming guys who's getting screwed by this deal.

I think I have a right to toss out some sarcasim when I feel the need. And I'm certainly not going to ask your permission to do so...so fly away troll boy...nobody is listening to you.

TCub
Premium Member
Olmsted Falls, OH

TCub

Premium Member

Same to you. I was joking.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by TCub:

I found nothing funny at all about either of the two personal attacks you lobbed this direction. No reasonable thinking person would.

TCub
Premium Member
Olmsted Falls, OH

TCub

Premium Member

Personal attacks!?!? You are joking right? Because I seriously LOLed.
rifleman69
join:2006-04-12
Beaverton, OR

rifleman69 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Imagine if you will....everybody dumps the Netflix streaming. ISP's no longer can justify their caps (not that they could anyway) or would find it very difficult to do so. Public cries foul so loudly that providers have no choice but to back down on this cap crap. Refusal to comply brings in the feds...who clean the cap business up once and for all...Netflix changes direction back to increasing streaming subs...this time without ISP interference because they won't be able to do anything about it.

Brilliant tactical move on behalf of Netflix....if it all plays out

If anything's going to be dumped, it's the DVD part.
rifleman69

rifleman69 to TCub

to TCub
said by TCub:

Most smart people could figure out you were joking. Shoe's on the other foot for ispgeek and he whined like a little bitch.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to TCub

Premium Member

to TCub
said by TCub:

Personal attacks!?!? You are joking right? Because I seriously LOLed.

Nope I'm deadly serious. Go back and read yourself again. But in all honesty lets make it 1 1/2 not 2. Yea thats better. Next time you lob the shill crap at someone make damn sure they are one first. Most people take offense to statments like that especially when it's not true and I'm not the exception to the rule there.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to rifleman69

Premium Member

to rifleman69
said by rifleman69:

said by TCub:

Most smart people could figure out you were joking. Shoe's on the other foot for ispgeek and he whined like a little bitch.

I thought your first post had something there until I read this...had to rethink it however because it's obvious you have no brains...so either you stole that from somebody else or you are guessing...which one is it. And no I'm not kidding. Stay out of other peoples tiff's. We're both grown adults and I think we can handle ourselves quite nicely without interference from you.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Sorry riffleman I was a bit harsh on you. I take it back. It just annoys me when people get into other peoples disagreements. It tends to get real ugly after that. So please accept my apologies for being a bit tough on you...I probably could have presented that with a little more class.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

the problem with that? im not going to dump streaming, im not going to dump dvd's, im going to dump BOTH! since i only watch maybe 5 dvd's a month, but watch streaming mostly. i see no point in paying $16 to do both, and i see no point in keeping one over the other (only used dvd's for dad any way, hes 70 tryd teachin him how to use the wii) so if i have to dump his dvd's im dumping my streaming.

in other words, this didnt just cost them one or the other, it cost them a customer out right.

And wait until the content studios really start sticking it to Netflix - prices ever higher and higher. They will lose me as a customer.

Yesterday, I said this would happen:
»Re: How to take billions and turn them into millions

Those who think netflix won't be greatly raising prices for bypassing traditional outlets are in for a rude shock.

TCub
Premium Member
Olmsted Falls, OH

TCub to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
The internet: You're doing it wrong.

(If you couldn't detect a joke in that internet meme, well... I'm honestly terribly sorry.)
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by TCub:

The internet: You're doing it wrong.

(If you couldn't detect a joke in that internet meme, well... I'm honestly terribly sorry.)

Give it up already. You were not joking until you realized that my whole post was sarcasim but by that point you had made a total ass of yourself. I even threw you an olive branch by making an ass out of myself and correcting rifleman for essentially putting you in your place and yet you are still too stupid to realize it. Go away little boy, you have some growing up to do.

TCub
Premium Member
Olmsted Falls, OH

TCub

Premium Member

Are you done?

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan

redxii to BHNtechXpert

Mod

to BHNtechXpert
/S I know but they don't need a reason to do or justify anything, if you want high speed internet it's likely your only choice, their way or the highway.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by redxii:

/S I know but they don't need a reason to do or justify anything, if you want high speed internet it's likely your only choice, their way or the highway.

Hey...all this nonsense is about to come to a head...you watch. I'll stick my head out and predict there's an ISP smackdown (both mobile and hardline) as it relates to caps coming real soon (and Karl won't be able to claim fame on this one...I just did). Yea there are some serious grumblins goling on in good quiet places about this...we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

I applaud those ISP's who have said nope...we're not even considering it. One of them happens to be my provider. But there are a few out there. I'd plug Sprint as well but they are so monkey f'd up I can't and still live with myself. It's about the only quality they have going for them.

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....
join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA

Augustus III to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom
said by Wilsdom:

Rather far-fetched. As one of the few legal high-bandwidth internet applications Netflix had a good case against caps on anti-trust grounds. All other heavy use of the internet is done by pedophiles and thieves.

a new level of stupidity on this site has been achieved.

soooooooo.. which of the 2 groups you mentioned do you belong to? inquiring minds want to know.
ShellMMG
join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI

ShellMMG to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
*sigh* Those of us who've had to live with criminally low caps (I'm looking at YOU, Wildblue) have known this was coming for years. We're very experienced in the pain of monitoring family bandwidth use and all those Netflix adverts just jerk our chains even worse. Streaming, Slingbox...all those services won't really work because if you blow your cap you're throttled to dialup speed, if not overcharged.

IMHO, this slow frog-boil is what the major ISP's want. Anything too hard and abrupt after years of true unlimited usage will cause more public outcry than they want. If it were to happen all at once, THEN the public would pay closer attention and howl to congress.

I'll admit I feel a little resentment. But jealous? Not really. It's more like sympathy, knowing when the SHTF there's going to be a lot of unhappy customers out there with FIOS and really nice speed on the download, but the service has airbrakes that are the pits.

Netflix, Google, Amazon and other content providers needed to be pushing back YEARS ago.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I dropped the streaming being i'm on verizon wireless through millinecom and the service is random at best.. I would love the streaming and would pay 8 a month for it happily. But if they are going to have to do the premium of 30 a month later on assuming I have broadband, I may have to pass depending on content vs fees..

Till then, its simply cheaper for me to have data mailed to me in an envelope than to try downloading it.. Fast too for that matter..

ZeddicusToo
@verizon.net

ZeddicusToo to Skippy25

Anon

to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

said by Wilsdom:

All other heavy use of the internet is done by pedophiles and thieves.

Wow! That is a pretty bold statement.

If by "bold" you mean "stupid", then... yep.