how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pwtenny

join:2010-10-11
Danbury, NC

Six strikes policy?

AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Cablevision, and Time Warner all agreed to this new six strikes policy. No mention of CenturyLink.

They didn't signup, did they?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

Hard to say, but...

They offer "Prism TV"? They are now a content provider, same as the big outfits you mentioned. So who would actually know?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

pwtenny

Danbury, NC

I asked someone who I think would know. Haven't heard back yet. Will let you all know if I do.

firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

i will let you know also. seeing i use alot of bandwidth. above 250gb a month

pwtenny

Danbury, NC
reply to pwtenny

What I've been told (by someone who knows that wishes to remain anonymous) is that CenturyLink didn't sign onto the "six strikes" thing with the MPAA/RIAA/whoever.

Doesn't mean they won't in the future, tho.

Peterpiper63

join:2011-06-27

No matter what, I would not be concerned if you are not doing illegal downloads of copyrighted material. And if you are, well you just need to stop. There is a saying that I stand by If you can't afford the music, than you won't be able to afford the charges from the IRAA. But hey if you want to take the chance on the downloads, and you want to take the chance on the following.
1 Going to court for this and not getting paid by your work place
2 getting charged 1000's of dollars for a song that you could have bought for 90cents
3 Having your internet service provider permanently disconnect you from their services
4 Having your name published in a local paper under the arrested section
5 having your rights to own or use a PC possible revoked by a court of law
6 Download something that has a virus in it that takes all your personal and credit card information and than causes you to not be able to pay your bills.
7 Possibility of loosing your job as most companies will look at you as a thief and not want you with them.

Than yea I would say go ahead and download. Just does not seem worth it to me. I mean all of this and you still want to download that 90cent song for "Free", yea this does not seem worth it.

wvcaver
Premium
join:2005-04-17
Millersburg, OH

Well said !!

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to Peterpiper63

Click for full size
I think the image above sums it up quite nicely.

It wouldn't be so bad if the recording companies and studios didn't have such an archaic business model. I was a paying subscriber to Netflix, but once the content providers began the stranglehold of their content (restricting DVD releases to 30 days after "official" release date and the DVDs that are eventually released are stripped of all extra content, removing streaming content, etc), I cancelled.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

said by Hazy Arc:

Not as bad as satelite TV. 5 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercials, 5 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercials...ad nauseam.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

said by WHT:

said by Hazy Arc:

Not as bad as satelite TV. 5 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercials, 5 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercials...ad nauseam.

That's pretty common now, with any network programming, whether it's delivered by Satellite, Cable, or OTA.

That's what a DVR is good for. I only see the commercials I want to watch. I love my DirecTV HD DVR.