Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

"claiming it will bring high-speed Internet to rural areas&

yes, thats what us rural customers want, Heavily capped and expensive internet from the a major wirelesss company. Remember folks, this will be the only internet for us. Putting a low cap of 5-10 GB for $80 a month just wont cut it as you might have a 150, 250 or even no caps on your internet, we would have to ration the shit out of our 5-10 GB cap and overages of $10 per gig. If they were to make affordable plans with higher caps, I wouldnt mind that since its wireless and can only do so much but if they are using this bull "we are going to deploy high-speed internet to rural areas" then do this charge out of the ass scam, no thanks.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

Re: "claiming it will bring high-speed Internet to rural ar

said by Duramax08:

yes, thats what us rural customers want, Heavily capped and expensive internet from the a major wirelesss company. Remember folks, this will be the only internet for us. Putting a low cap of 5-10 GB for $80 a month just wont cut it as you might have a 150, 250 or even no caps on your internet, we would have to ration the shit out of our 5-10 GB cap and overages of $10 per gig. If they were to make affordable plans with higher caps, I wouldnt mind that since its wireless and can only do so much but if they are using this bull "we are going to deploy high-speed internet to rural areas" then do this charge out of the ass scam, no thanks.

Ironically even at this extremely early stage of LTE deployment a German wireless company is already offering 50 GB caps to rural customers: "http://dslprime.com/a-wireless-cloud/61-w/4491-germany-50-gigabytes-of-lte-8995-euro-"

It's pricey at 90 euros, but another company is offering 30 GB for 70 euros.

No doubt those prices will come down over time as competition drives down margins. Furthermore LTE Advance will easily triple network capacity and speed, so you could easily triple those caps without any network management. And at that level of capacity you might as well offer unlimited with "throttle" during peak periods.

Srsly
@verizon.net

Srsly

Anon

What is this "competition" you speak of? You mean Verizon and AT&T are going to suddenly forget that as the only two real players in the market, they can do pretty much what they want? Remember when Verizon got the iPhone, and suddenly that was going to make AT&T improve its service and prices? How'd that work out? Both of them imposed caps and raised prices. There's your competition....

burgerwars
join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA

burgerwars to Duramax08

to Duramax08

CWA and T-Mobile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think T-Mobile workers are represented by a union, but many at AT&T are represented by the CWA. I can't see this merger increasing jobs (does any merger?) but the CWA is saying 100,000. That's a nice even figure. I think the CWA sees this as an opportunity to increase membership by getting T-Mobile in their fold, so they're eager to see this go through. But if in the long run the combined company decreases jobs (which I feel is more likely to happen), the CWA might hurt themselves in the long run.