Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

Re: the new Yahoo! reads! your! emails!

Yes, I know email is very old and goes back before Windows. I just thought XP would have been a good time for Microsoft to have introduced better privacy measures for OE because it was with XP that home computer use exploded.

I remember compuserv! And I fondly remember prodigy but I didn't know it was still around!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Mele20:

Yes, I know email is very old and goes back before Windows. I just thought XP would have been a good time for Microsoft to have introduced better privacy measures for OE because it was with XP that home computer use exploded.

They were already ending development of MS Outlook Express by then. They were getting Windows Mail ready for Windows Vista. And, ultimately, starting their move to Windows Live Essentials, which is their counterpoint to Yahoo! services.

I remember compuserv! And I fondly remember prodigy but I didn't know it was still around!

Prodigy only exists as a vestige of the original. I am not certain of the timing, but somewhere along the line Prodigy was bought by SBC, either directly, or through acquisition of "The Pacific Telesis Group" (parent of Pacific Bell Telephone, which I believe became associated with Prodigy somehow).

All of those domains I listed currently belong to AT&T. They came to AT&T as the result of a series of mergers and acquisitions engineered by SBC. Prodigy ceased to exist as a company you could sign up Internet service with shortly after SBC bought The Pacific Telesis Group.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

There was/is.... S/MIME:
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· %29.aspx

It's an internet standard MS finally added to OE in Win2000.
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 473.aspx

But... it's somewhat complicated to setup and the vast majority of users never do and don't use it. Once setup, it's relatively easy to use. More info:
»www.sslshopper.com/email ··· tes.html
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I did this »www.heypete.com/pete/sec ··· /ie.html years ago with someone in this forum. We were experimenting with encrypted email in OE. It worked fine (irritating and time consuming to set up though). BUT no one else I communicated with at the time via email was willing to go to all that trouble to set it up and then obtain keys, exchange them, etc.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I did this »www.heypete.com/pete/sec ··· /ie.html years ago with someone in this forum. We were experimenting with encrypted email in OE. It worked fine (irritating and time consuming to set up though). BUT no one else I communicated with at the time via email was willing to go to all that trouble to set it up and then obtain keys, exchange them, etc.

Right. That's S/MIME