spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Grayson73
join:2004-05-17
Potomac, MD

1 edit

Grayson73

Arris TM722G the only modem I can use for triple play?

I just signed up for Triple Play with Comcast and they told me that I can buy the Arris TM722G modem at Best Buy to avoid the $7/month rental fee.

Is this the only modem I can buy or are there other models that will work as well? For example, can I use the Motorola SB6120 or Zoom 5341?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

That the only one that you can buy right now and only at Bestbuy. It cost's $149.99. They could be charge to install it also.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to Grayson73

Premium Member

to Grayson73
To clarify, it has to be an EMTA, as your phone service comes from the device as well.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to Grayson73

to Grayson73
Not at all, tell them you want a d3 modem for internet.

I just had my emta internet portion turned off and they sent a d3 modem to use instead.

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium Member
join:2001-07-31
Boynton Beach, FL

mikes60

Premium Member

said by BosstonesOwn:

Not at all, tell them you want a d3 modem for internet.

I just had my emta internet portion turned off and they sent a d3 modem to use instead.

Not sure what you are trying to say. The TM722G is a D3 modem. It will do internet as well as voice.

If you had your " internet portion turned off", what did they send you for voice that would be better than the TM722G.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

cisco dpc3000
Grayson73
Potomac, MD

Grayson73

Is this EMTA?

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

mikes60 to BosstonesOwn

Premium Member

to BosstonesOwn
said by BosstonesOwn:

cisco dpc3000

And just why is the dpc3000 better than the TM722G.

As far as I know, unless there is a new model, the dpc3000 is not an EMTA, so it won't work for voice.

Both are Docsis3 and the TM722G has a good track record with Comcast. It is also the only EMTA available for retail purchase.

Also remember, whether it is puchased or leased, it has to be installed by Comcast. There is no self-install option with voice.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

2 edits

EG to Grayson73

Premium Member

to Grayson73
@ Master Wolfe. In some areas a straight modem and an eMTA can be used in tandem with each other via a splitter if the signals are adequate so it really depends on ones particular market area as to whether or not they will allow this setup.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC

Premium Member

Indeed, that is how I'm setup. I was simply trying to clarify for Grayson73 , but may have caused more confusion, LOL.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to mikes60

to mikes60
There could be another reason that a separate cable modem and eMTA are needed - the location of the telco entry point. An eMTA is a great deal pickier about such a location than a cable modem for that reason (the eMTA normally covers all the phone jacks in a residence or small business). I'm not talking out of my hat - we're triple-play (upgrade from double-play) customers that added CDV; however, the telco entry point location forced use of a separate eMTA (our customer-owned cable modem is in the basement, which is also homebase to the household LAN) in the garage (the Arris TM422). I have (rather my mom does) one major problem with the eMTA - it does not work with virtualized second lines (we had one specifically used by our plain-paper fax machine). Other than that, the rest of the service is at least as good (in the case of the base CallerID support specifically, far better) than it was with VZ copper POTS. However, the virtual-line/fax issue may well chase us back to VZ, at least for phone (and to FIOS, as VZ normally doesn't do copper, even for phone-only service in Maryland's FIOS-available areas).

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

location of a telco NID has no bearing on 99% of residential installs...a simple backfeed on a second pair is all thats needed....

also most fax machines dont play well with digital phone...whether it be cdv, vonage, etc.....however some issues come from either; having the baud rate set too high, the voicemail indicator on the line; or by not running a single pair into the fax machine....

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

mikes60 to Grayson73

Premium Member

to Grayson73
Let's remember the OP"s original post:

Arris TM722G the only modem I can use for triple play?
I just signed up for Triple Play with Comcast and they told me that I can buy the Arris TM722G modem at Best Buy to avoid the $7/month rental fee.

Is this the only modem I can buy or are there other models that will work as well? For example, can I use the Motorola SB6120 or Zoom 5341?

He was not looking to use two modems, only asking if there was an alternative one to purchase. No real need here to get into the pros and cons of using two modems- that would be another thread.

The answer to his original question is still "no"

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to gar187er

to gar187er
True on fax machines not playing nice with eMTAs - however, in this case, it's not really the eMTA's fault. One of the slicker tricks that the leading RBOCs, and some CLECs and ILECs that were never RBOCs (Verizon among the first, CavTel among the second, and Frontier among the last) have done is the Virtual Second Line (sometimes called Distinctive Ring) - and it acts like what it sounds; a second line run in parallel with a primary line, but for use with specific devices (such as fax machines, and some alarm systems). It requires support by the subscriber's central office; however, that is pretty standard fare among switchgear usually deployed by RBOCs, CLECs, and even the smallest non-RBOC ILECs. This is not supported by any eMTA, though (while there are multiline eMTAs, they are the traditional sort, and don't support the virtualization of that second line). Alarm systems can be worked around; however, fax machines generally can't.
Grayson73
Potomac, MD

Grayson73

Thanks, everyone. Was just wondering if there was a cheaper option than the $149.99 Arris TM722G, but I guess not!

Since rental is $7/month, it will take 22 months just to break even. I wonder if it's worth purchasing.

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

mikes60

Premium Member

Probably not since they have to install it anyway.

Who knows what may be available, or what changes may take place within the next 22 months.

My feeling is that it is best to have them responsible at this point.

cralt
join:2011-01-07
CT

cralt

said by mikes60:

Probably not since they have to install it anyway.

Thats not true in all areas. We have self install triple play now here in CT. I don't know if we are a trial market or what but ive already been to TC's on these. "Make drop hot" sro's have been going out for almost a month now.
Grayson73
Potomac, MD

Grayson73

The Comcast guy just installed the modem and it's a TM504G. Is this better or worse than the TM722G?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by Grayson73:

The Comcast guy just installed the modem and it's a TM504G. Is this better or worse than the TM722G?

It is and older model that only a d2 modem. If you have the 16/2 or 20/4 it will work ok. Before I got the TM722g I had the tm504.
Grayson73
Potomac, MD

Grayson73

said by Caddyroger:

said by Grayson73:

It is and older model that only a d2 modem. If you have the 16/2 or 20/4 it will work ok. Before I got the TM722g I had the tm504.

I don't know what speed tier I'm in, but I just did a speed test and I got 25.46 Mbps down and 4.20 Mbps up. Should I switch to the TM722g? How do I check what tier I'm in?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by Grayson73:

said by Caddyroger:

said by Grayson73:

I don't know what speed tier I'm in, but I just did a speed test and I got 25.46 Mbps down and 4.20 Mbps up. Should I switch to the TM722g? How do I check what tier I'm in?

Check your Comcast bill.

hmouta
@sbcglobal.net

hmouta to cralt

Anon

to cralt
cralt, do you know which bestbuys carry the Arris in CT. Or are you referring to ordering triple play packages? When I was previewing the packages online and adding them to my cart, I was never offered a selfinstall option. It gave me a calendar to pick an install date for. I haven't ordered yet.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

location of a telco NID has no bearing on 99% of residential installs...a simple backfeed on a second pair is all thats needed....

also most fax machines dont play well with digital phone...whether it be cdv, vonage, etc.....however some issues come from either; having the baud rate set too high, the voicemail indicator on the line; or by not running a single pair into the fax machine....

Comcast makes no assurances that alarms, fax, etc will work with their service. And just because you test your alarm today and it works, doesn't mean it will without a doubt work in the future.

If you need to use an alarm, fax, geriatric monitor, etc I suggest you use a service that guarantees compatibility.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

ummmmm i never said that they guarantee it to work...and i wasnt talking about alarms either...