uniqs

WarningU2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

WarningU2

Premium Member

Smtp Servers and Smart Phones

So I finally upgraded to a HTC Incredible S (android) phone from Bell Mobility. Amazing phone but there is one annoying feature with it. While connected to Cogeco via Wi Fi at home I can send email from the phone using the cogeco SMTP servers but when I am connected to Bell Network I need to change to the smtp server mail.1xbell.ca because (as far as I understand) Cogeco doesn't allow external IP addresses (ie. from bell) to send mail through their servers. And the same applies vice versa in that Bell doesn't allow cogeco IP addresses to send mail. I'm constantly changing the setup or have to reroute through my gmail account. Is there any way to automatically change smtp servers or a way of going to a smtp server that will work with both? Its annoying as heck. I can't be the only one to have this frustration/.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user

sure. buy your own domain and run your own mail server.

Shyte
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
NF, ON

Shyte to WarningU2

Premium Member

to WarningU2
Is there way on that phone to set up a secondary SMTP?? I had to do the same thing on my iPhone while on my cogeco wifi. I have the Bell SMTP set up as the primary so when I'm on 3G it sends no problem and when I'm at home it takes a few mins to actually jump over to the secondary SMTP while on wifi. Hope that makes sense.

Shyte.

WarningU2
Premium Member
Burlington, ON

WarningU2

Premium Member

Thanks Shyte. Don't see the ability in the mail setup on the phone to add a secondary smtp server. I'll go searching on the android forums to see if there is a way.

So Biz user ... how do you go about setting up your own SMTP server?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by WarningU2:

how do you go about setting up your own SMTP server?

For me, it's included in my hosting package ($10/MO, get what you pay for kinda deal). I have a mail.mydomain.com set up, and SMTP uses my POP credentials to authenticate over port 587. Works on every device I have, doesn't matter where I am.

Mike

WarningU2
Premium Member
Burlington, ON

WarningU2

Premium Member

ah thanks ... yes I do have a domain which includes an email account which I rarely use ... using their smtp server here would work. I'll set that up.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to WarningU2

Premium Member

to WarningU2
I have a Nexus One and I've looked into this for a bit. I was looking for a way to either set up 2 SMTP servers or to set up 1 SMTP server and force email to use 3G even when connected to WiFi. Haven't been able to find anything yet.

There is a workaround, which I'm not sure if it's close to what you're looking for, however, you can set up a gmail account, and then set up your Cogeco account within gmail to be sent from your Cogeco account. Then you just log into gmail's SMTP server using username@gmail.com and when you send mail, it'll show up as From: username@gmail.com on behalf of username@cogeco.ca

It's not a perfect solution, but until someone creates an email app on Android that allows for 2 SMTP servers (might be a money-making idea ) there really isn't a way to do what you're looking to do unless you can find a non-authenticating free SMTP server.

Edit: Or you could do what dillyhammer said... that would work too!

WarningU2
Premium Member
Burlington, ON

WarningU2

Premium Member

Yeah I had thought of the gmail account too but my gmail account name is some assinine name I thought of after too many glasses of wine and its difficult to change ... I've set up the smtp server I have with my domain name and it works. But thanks for the suggestions. I do think that Android should offer alternate SMTP server like Iphone. Maybe thats patent infringement

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron

Premium Member

Were you able to use your cogeco.ca email with the SMTP server you created? If so, awesome! Glad to hear you got it working!

WarningU2
Premium Member
Burlington, ON

WarningU2

Premium Member

yes sire ... network solutions domain name ... shows as from my cogeco address but it's using their smtp server which is what I wanted
cog_biz_user

cog_biz_user to WarningU2

to WarningU2
just a heads up, some spam filtering systems could mark your mail as spam if the sender has one domain name, and the mail server has another.

it might also get you put on one of those "open relay" lists, but only the real stupid ones that don't actually check.

on the topic of open relays, you should check to make sure other people can't use the server as one. i'm unfamiliar with how netsol works, i found it much easier to buy a domain and run bind+postfix myself.

WarningU2
Premium Member
Burlington, ON

WarningU2

Premium Member

thanks biz user ... network solutions requires smtp authentication (signin) so no one else can use it but a good point ... as for spam filters I'll worry about it then. I'm not sure what binding and postfix is but it sounds painful.

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to cog_biz_user

to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

just a heads up, some spam filtering systems could mark your mail as spam if the sender has one domain name, and the mail server has another.

That would lead to an incredibly high false positive rate, and is an incredibly bad idea if you run a mail server where your users actually want to get e-mail.

sipher
@cgocable.net

sipher to WarningU2

Anon

to WarningU2
You can configure your Cogeco account to forward a copy of the message to a service such as gmail.

gmail does not have IP based restrictions on who can send/receive messages (i.e. you don't have to be a google customer to use their server to relay). Also you HTC device is most certainly compatible with gmail

Now, the only problem I can see with that is, messages read via your mobile, will not reflect the message status of being "read".

Another alternative would be to find an authenticated outbound mail relay. Receiving is not the issue.

Hope that helps.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to WarningU2

Premium Member

to WarningU2
said by WarningU2:

I'm not sure what binding and postfix is but it sounds painful.

It's more than painful. Suicidal would be a better word.

Mike
cog_biz_user

cog_biz_user

said by dillyhammer:

It's more than painful. Suicidal would be a better word.

Mike

hey, at least i didn't say sendmail.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by cog_biz_user:

hey, at least i didn't say sendmail.

Sendmail + Bind? Good Gawd. I'm trying to eat my supper.

Mike
jpaik
join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

jpaik to WarningU2

to WarningU2
said by WarningU2:

... I can't be the only one to have this frustration/.

No, you're not the only one to have this frustration. I went through the same thing back in 2010 with a Galaxy S device. Ultimately I set my gmail account to fetch my cogeco.ca email and it has been a smooth ride ever since.