Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Premium Member
join:2002-11-08
Metropolis

1 recommendation

Stem Bolt to bluedyedvd

Premium Member

to bluedyedvd

Re: Why are people always dumping on giganews?

said by bluedyedvd:

supernews is a giganews reseller and is now competing directly with astraweb with price and retention. People are always complaining about all the dmca takedowns on giganews but newshosting aka highwinds always get the same takedowns so why is giganews the bad guy? Most posters now adays expect the takedowns so they put in more pars so it can still be repaired.

Supernews isn't a reseller. It's owned by Giganews. Giganews/Supernews has better completion then Newshosting (Highwinds) even with DMCA factored in. Highwinds has completion issues in addition to DMCA.

As to why people are hating on Giganews itself, it's probably the price they charge for usenet. Not talking about Supernews. But Giganews itself. Giganews's unlimited plans are $25 and $35 a month. While other usenet providers are charging $11 or less a month for unlimited. Giganews is charging that kind of money and is removing content (DMCA). A couple of other providers charge less then half then Giganews and don't remove content (DMCA) and have good completion.

With the recent changes with Supernews, they are now very competitive against Highwind and it's resellers. Supernews offers better completion (even with DMCA) at competitive prices and retention.

I personally think the recent changes with Supernews is a sign that Giganews is feeling the pinch from it's less expensive competitors. It's Giganews's way of competing with their less expensive rivals while trying to maintain their "Premium" usenet brand name.
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

said by Stem Bolt:

said by bluedyedvd:

supernews is a giganews reseller and is now competing directly with astraweb with price and retention. People are always complaining about all the dmca takedowns on giganews but newshosting aka highwinds always get the same takedowns so why is giganews the bad guy? Most posters now adays expect the takedowns so they put in more pars so it can still be repaired.

Supernews isn't a reseller. It's owned by Giganews. Giganews/Supernews has better completion then Newshosting (Highwinds) even with DMCA factored in. Highwinds has completion issues in addition to DMCA.

As to why people are hating on Giganews itself, it's probably the price they charge for usenet. Not talking about Supernews. But Giganews itself. Giganews's unlimited plans are $25 and $35 a month. While other usenet providers are charging $11 or less a month for unlimited. Giganews is charging that kind of money and is removing content (DMCA). A couple of other providers charge less then half then Giganews and don't remove content (DMCA) and have good completion.

With the recent changes with Supernews, they are now very competitive against Highwind and it's resellers. Supernews offers better completion (even with DMCA) at competitive prices and retention.

I personally think the recent changes with Supernews is a sign that Giganews is feeling the pinch from it's less expensive competitors. It's Giganews's way of competing with their less expensive rivals while trying to maintain their "Premium" usenet brand name.

It was bound to happen sooner or later!

I wonder if Easynews was too and that is why they offer unlimited monthly accounts now ?

Stem Bolt
Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Premium Member
join:2002-11-08
Metropolis

Stem Bolt

Premium Member

said by 90115534:

said by Stem Bolt:

It was bound to happen sooner or later!

I wonder if Easynews was too and that is why they offer unlimited monthly accounts now ?

Highwinds probably made the change and are now offering unlimited as a means to increase profits from Easynews. With all the cheap unlimited options available now, Easynew's old business model probably needed updating to make it more competitive in todays market. Easynews's big draw is it's browser based access to binaries. Users still pay a premium for that. This is all opinion and speculation on my part of course.