All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Marcus Fenix
join:2011-06-25

Marcus Fenix

DNS server issues 2Wire

I've been having some issues with my Uverse connection. I've noticed that websites are becoming slower and I believe the DNS server is the main culprit. Also all my computers (4) are Macs running the lastest OS X.

Sometimes surfing is great, but then at random it comes to a screeching halt. Websites like google.com and yahoo.com take 1-3 minutes to fully load on a 18mbps connection. I run a speedtest and I get 16.5-17mbps (which is normal) with no issues. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the name resolving. Using OpenDNS on my main machine has helped. Also when I'm using the default DNS server, I usually have to reboot the entire system, reboot my laptop and wait about 5 minutes before I get the internet to work again.

I've read the huge sticky on this forum about slow websites, but the last post was back on 9/2010 and supposedly the problem was fixed with a firmware update.

I'm currently running software firmware 6.3.7.37-enh.tm on the i3812V. Same version for the access point firmware.

Can anyone help me? What do I need to do? Is there anyway I can get this fixed without changing the DNS server on all my devices? I have a ton of WiFi electronics and don't feel like going through all my laptops, iMac, Xoom tablet, game consoles and etc.

Mr Anon
@sbcglobal.net

Mr Anon

Anon

Is this only on your iDevices that you have this issue or all of them?

Is the one you tried open DNS on wired or are all you devices wireless?

When you have these browsing issues, have you checked the lights of the modem while this is happening and can you try to ping an outside address. I can't give you instructions on all your devices but on the mac or open terminal/command prompt and type ping google.com

What I'm suspecting is that you may have wireless connections issues and not DNS but I want to make sure it isn't a DSL connection issue. I actually believe the sticky that you read has no relevance anymore.

Marcus Fenix

Marcus Fenix

said by Mr Anon :

Is this only on your iDevices that you have this issue or all of them?

This has been an issue with some iOS devices (iPod touch 2nd gen mainly), but not with the three iPhone 4Gs. Mainly it's on my iMac and iPod Touch.
said by Mr Anon :

Is the one you tried open DNS on wired or are all you devices wireless?

All devices are wireless except for Xbox 360. My own MacBook Pro is the one I used for openDNS testing and it was wireless too.
said by Mr Anon :

When you have these browsing issues, have you checked the lights of the modem while this is happening and can you try to ping an outside address. I can't give you instructions on all your devices but on the mac or open terminal/command prompt and type ping google.com

What I'm suspecting is that you may have wireless connections issues and not DNS but I want to make sure it isn't a DSL connection issue. I actually believe the sticky that you read has no relevance anymore.

Lights were all green and everything was "connected" and "UP" in the config settings.

I have tried numerous times pinging google.com and yahoo.com via terminal. Problem is, I sometimes lose packets here and there. This was especially more so the first week I got Uverse. Now I don't lose as many packets, but sometimes the only way I can visit google.com or yahoo is to ping those domains and use the IP address in the browser. A hard reset of the AP sometimes helps, but sometimes doesn't and I have to wait.

PS: This is an older Bit loading graph from the Uverse Realtime app.

»farm6.static.flickr.com/ ··· ec_b.jpg

ILpt4U said it was a problem in the 1MHz frequency and it shouldn't be there. I've tried contact AT&T to explain to them this graph, but they said it was all good on their end and only offered tech help about disabling WPS on the AP. WPS has been disabled since I first got Uverse.

Is there anyway I can help AT&T understand this issue more? I feel like the Techs don't know much when I start explaining this to them.

ATTek
Got Sand?
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Glendora, CA

ATTek

Premium Member

said by Marcus Fenix:

Is there anyway I can help AT&T understand this issue more? I feel like the Techs don't know much when I start explaining this to them.

I wouldn't focus on that bitgraph too much. It isn't that unusual. I would be looking elsewhere if only certain devices are affected.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel to Marcus Fenix

to Marcus Fenix
It's well known that ATT's DNS servers suck. I just set everything to an alternate DNS server and never have any problem.

Marcus Fenix

Marcus Fenix

How can I do that on the i38HG AP or i3812v? I don't see a place where I can change the primary and secondary to openDNS or Google's own DNS servers.
dave006
join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

dave006

Sorry, Marcus but you can't DNS primary / secondary on the i38HG AP. You have to use the default or change each device or add your own AP that you can configure.

Note: The DNS issue is not related to the noise you mention in the DSL signal. While the noise is present it is not impacting your DNS performance. It would also be helpful to see your IP/Profile tab and the Error Tab from U-Verse Realtime to provide more information on what might be the suggestions for your physical connection.

Dave
sanford1
join:2003-03-30
Dover, NJ

sanford1 to Marcus Fenix

to Marcus Fenix
I just got Uverse and set my DNS servers to Google DNS. You do it in the lan adapters property tab for ipv4 .
See the instructions here : »code.google.com/speed/pu ··· ing.html