Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

[HD] My Fox Soccer HD Issues - Advice Needed

Okay, people on here that know me know that i LOVE soccer - and was ecstatic when FSC HD was added on Channel 584 a few months back.

However, I'm having an issue on 1 TV. Of course, it's the main 50" plasma in the living room. This has been happening since the channel was added.

7232 DVR, E-Sata drive, (now 1.9A) - audio goes out to Receiver via Optical cable.

ONLY on this setup, I have constant audio drops - the audio drops out, the blue Dolby light on my receiver goes out, etc.

I've checked the diganostics, I get zero correctable OR non-correctable errors - SNR on the 69MHz QAM is good (thought maybe this could be causing it with it being the edge frequency).

Had my VHO contact check the feed - no issues there or at the CO - they were right, I don't see the problem on my 7100-1 or 7100-2 boxes.

This ONLY happens on this channel. Could it be the 7232? Should I have a tech out to re-run the cable? (shortest, easiest run in the house).

I thought maybe it was the beta version of 1.9 causing it - but checked again after getting 1.9A this morning - still happening frequently.

Thanks for any advice!!
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

First thing I would try - swap out the DVR with one of your 7100s, to help narrow down the problem. See if the problem still exists on that set-up. If the problem migrates along with your DVR (after you hook up your DVR to the TV that formerly had the 7100), then you know it's the DVR. If the problem doesn't migrate, but stays with the setup that was having the problem, then you know it's something in the setup. That's the first thing I would try.

El Pav

join:2011-07-19
Reston, VA

Re: [HD] My Fox Soccer HD Issues - Help!

Matt-

I have been having virtually the same issues in VH04 (northern VA) with Fox Soccer Channel HD pretty much ever since I swapped my box for the 7232 in May (problems started May 24th), except my issues are both pixellation and sound issues (I am still in 1.8). The issues have been coming and going but interrupted the Gold Cup final and have gotten much worse in the last couple of days.

Now, the pixellation and sounds issues are so bad that the screen is just blank and it gives me the "channel is unavailable" message. I have been pulling my hair out about this since it was such a long slog to actually get the channel in HD and now this with the new season around the corner. I have complained enough (even hit up Twitter Joe about it) that Verizon is sending a tech out this weekend to check the wiring in my house. I have replaced the coax coming from the wall into the box but have not done anything else.

Have you heard anything about this from your contacts? One of the tech support people I spoke to told me it was an issue with the provider signal (Fox sending too many HD signals from broadcast origination on one frequency or something) but I made the point that with interest in this channel so high that it had to be happening to more than myself if that were the case. Any advice would be appreciated.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JeepMatt

Re: [HD] My Fox Soccer HD Issues - Advice Needed

Since its only this TV, that rules out everything except the receiver in the middle. Something in the stream is not working with the receivers decoder logic ...

Run direct from the STB to the TV to confirm and I'd go to the AVS board and see if there are know issues with the receiver

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to El Pav

ElPav-

Let me know how the tech visit goes. FSC HD is on 69MHz, which is one of the lowest QAM's on the frequency table - and sometimes can be more impacted by noise.

Since you're actually losing picture as well - try this.

Tune to 584. Power off your 7232 - then hit OK on the remote. It'll bring up the diagnostics menu.

Go down to #4 - In Band Status - and report back what you are seeing for SNR - and if any Correctable or Uncorrectable errors are shown. If they are, most likely it's something with the wiring or connectors.

Since i'm not losing picture - or seeing errors, perhaps Guppy is right - but stumped as to why this is ONLY happening with FSC HD.
--

El Pav

Reston, VA

Matt- thanks for your help (and for your work in getting this channel added). I will run the diagnostics tonight when I get home and report back and will keep you posted on the tech visit.

JWhip

@verizon.net
reply to JeepMatt

If your receiver has HDMI, I would run an HDMI cable from your 7232 to the receiver to check if this is still an issue. If not, I would bypass the optical cable altogether as they can be problematic. If you don't have HDMI on the receiver, try a coax cable and see if this narrows down the issue. I have no such problem with FSC HD with my 7232 and my processor running HDMI.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

Joe-

Long time! Yes, the receiver is actually quite ancient - 6+ years, so I'm looking at some replacement receivers now that have HDMI inputs to do exactly what you are proposing.

It's definitely overdue!
--

El Pav

Reston, VA
reply to JeepMatt

Matt-

584 is still a black screen with the "channel is currently unavailable" message. Just ran the diagnostics on 584 for In Band Status. It is showing for In band tuner 1 snr 34.5 good and correctable error count ranging between 4000 to 10000+.

In-band tuner 2 is showing n/a

Try to replace the splitter?

El Pav

Reston, VA

Just replaced splitter and coax cable from wall into splitter. Early results- 584 is working- no pixellation and no sound issues yet (major knock on wood). Looks like that might have solved the problem. I will continue to monitor the channel next couple of days before cancelling the tech visit this weekend though. Thanks again for the help!

El Pav

Reston, VA

Well spoke too soon. 584 is completely out again. Diagnostics say:
In band tuner 1: 231 MHz SNR 40.0db Good no errors

In band tuner 2: 069.00MHz
SNR 29.2db Poor
errors uncorrectable 300000 and climbing correctable 10000000 and climbing
Any thoughts? Guess I shouldnt cancel the tech visit....

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

Pav-
Yeah, definitely have the tech out - looks like wiring issues.
--

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

Well,
My brand new receiver showed up today - perfect timing for my birthday. Now have the 7232 STB hooked up via HDMI to it, then to the TV - still getting the audio drops on FSC HD.

Very disappointed. Don't want to give up the DVR b/c I have quite a bit saved to the eSata drive.

So, guess it's time to have a tech out to check wiring.
--

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

Okay,
So - took the DVR out, hooked up my 7100-2 box to the same outlet.

There were less audio drops, but it still happened time to time, almost as if the DVR is less tolerable to whatever is causing it.

Still, no errors on the STB.

Went over to Fuse HD which shares the same QAM (69MHz), no audio drops whatsoever on EITHER STB.

This only leaves the coax and/or splitter to be replaced - but if it was a frequency thing, wouldn't you think it'd be affecting both channels on that QAM and not just Fox Soccer HD?

It's really driving me nuts.
--

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

said by JeepMatt:

Okay,
So - took the DVR out, hooked up my 7100-2 box to the same outlet.

There were less audio drops, but it still happened time to time, almost as if the DVR is less tolerable to whatever is causing it.

Still, no errors on the STB.

Went over to Fuse HD which shares the same QAM (69MHz), no audio drops whatsoever on EITHER STB.

This only leaves the coax and/or splitter to be replaced - but if it was a frequency thing, wouldn't you think it'd be affecting both channels on that QAM and not just Fox Soccer HD?

It's really driving me nuts.

I had a tech try to tell me the signal was too weak for my new 7232 to pick up my subscription channels (basic channels all coming in fine). The 7232 literally just replaced a 6416 that never had a problem. The exact same cables down to the power cable where used - they were simply unplugged from the 6416 and plugged in to the 7232. After about 30 minutes of him scratching his chin everything came in fine and has been fine ever since.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

I scored a Sunday morning appointment. We'll see what's up then..
--

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

Of Course...

So, had my tech out today. I'm kicking myself for not getting his name...probably one of the coolest, most personable techs I've ever had out. (and i've had good ones...LOL)

So, tell him the problem, he sees it (well, he hears it...hahaha).

Puts new fittings on each end of the coax (still there)
Replaces the splitter (still there)
Replaces the entire line of coax (still there).

The one thing I never thought of (and what was ultimately the culprit????)

My eSata drive. For some reason, the WD 1TB external drive i'm using is causing issues with this one damn channel. We unhooked the drive after swapping boxes between rooms, noticed it no longer happened. Brought it back to the original location, eSata un-hooked, no longer happened.

Here's the weird part - with it hooked up - IF I ACTUALLY RECORD Fox Soccer HD while watching it, I don't lose sound. If it just buffers normally, the sound drops came right back. So there has to be some type of sync issue w/ this brand of hard drive, however Fox Soccer HD transmits their audio, and the 1.9 IMG.

He's going to report it back to his manager so it can be passed up the ladder for when the rest of the VHO finally gets 1.9.

Go figure...
--

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

Great. I bet this means the 1.9 rollout will get pushed back another three months as they fix this issue...

[/sarcasm]

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
reply to JeepMatt

Can't wait for the post when you get billed for the tech visit using a non approved external drive ...

Its the bit rate, that channel must have have something more than the drive can keep up with

Vamp9190
Premium
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

said by guppy_fish:

....Its the bit rate, that channel must have have something more than the drive can keep up with

FSC with a bit rate that's too high.....that would be a stunner.

Vamp9190
Premium
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA
reply to Nezmo

said by Nezmo See Profile
I had a tech try to tell me the signal was too weak for my new 7232 to pick up my subscription channels (basic channels all coming in fine). The 7232 literally just replaced a 6416 that never had a problem. The exact same cables down to the power cable where used - they were simply unplugged from the 6416 and plugged in to the 7232. After about 30 minutes of him scratching his chin everything came in fine and has been fine ever since.
[/BQUOTE :

ROFL, unreal.

Northern VA

@verizon.net

I have the exact same problem with 584. It's the only channel that has this issue. I am running everything through a brand new Yamaha Receiver with HDMI. The picture is fine but the audio drops in and out making the channel unwatchable. Very frustrating.

rdk914

join:2011-09-15
Larchmont, NY

I am having an increasing number of problems with the picture and sound cutting in and out on FSC HD on all boxes. Yesterday's Champions League games on the DVR were unwatchable. I saw this thread and the comment about the QAM and I checked Fuse, and that channel seems to have the same issues. Does that mean I have a wiring problem somewhere and need a Verizon tech visit?

I tried to do the suggested diagnostic check on my 7232 box, but after powering off the screen just went black after I hit the ok button (the wandering text disappears, but nothing else comes up).

With such a long wait for the HD channel, and with QPR back in the prem this year, this is an extremely frustrating development!

Any help much appreciated.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

RDK-
If you're also seeing issues on Fuse - then yes - definitely get a tech out to check your coax, fittings, etc. This would indicate an issue with the 69MHz frequency.

My Fuse is perfect - only the audio drops on FSC HD.
--

Azzurro

@verizon.net
reply to JeepMatt

Guys, this audio glitch on Fox Soccer Channel HD is killing me. I have FIOS in Long Island and a cablecard setup with Media Center. I have constant audio drop outs every few minutes with the accompanying frame drops and pixelation. It drives me nuts. It only happens on 584 and not on FUSE.

Over the last few weeks, I've had:

1. My cablecard swapped
2. Two trucks roll out and check every line and splitter (my signal is great)
3. Diagnostics done at the home office to check the signal and they say it is fine.

Nothing. I know my Media Center set makes the issue worse. Somehow Windows doesn't do as good a job of masking this issue as the STBs do. On the STBs, you will see one or two frames drop with at times but it is very subtle and most people won't pick it up. Then, on other times on the STB you'll have an audio drop out.

These frame drops on the Media Center are much worse as I mentioned.

-----
I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't an issue with FOX and the way they've encoded their video. I've seen others from Comcast and Cox complain about these audio drop outs so maybe there is something wrong at the Fox end. Verizon is getting me nowhere.

Any one else have ideas???

tbonepat11

@verizon.net

I had a tech out a month ago for the exact same issue. He swapped out everything except the box and nothing fixed. I have no eSata hooked up. He called the main facility and they turned to FSC and they were getting the same audio blips on the most recent box. He said it must either be coming from the feed or somewhere higher up the ladder.

I also noticed my brother on Comcast had the same issues about 200miles away. Seems like a feed issue from the source. I just have to live with it.

On a side note the tech told me something that made me mad. If your receiver breaks, they will replace it with a downgrade and not the new Cisco boxes, no matter what. It came all the way from the top. So if you have issues and you have the black Motorola QIP7232 and they don't have a replacement. You are getting downgraded to the older model and not the new model.

I hope someone figures out the FSC issues because it is quite annoying.

Azzurrony

@verizon.net

Tbonepat11,

Thanks for your info. I'm definitely starting to think there is something odd in the way FSC encodes their video. If Verizon is just passing the feed along to us, without re-encoding, then we are getting these glitches sent straight to us.

The question then is..how do we get FSC to realize this? I wish I knew what qualities in the video are causing this...is it just frame drops...is it an issue with converting PAL format soccer games to NTSC? I have no clue.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

For what it's worth - I sent Twitter Joe a message this morning to see if he can have them check the channel at the SHE (Super Headend) level.

It still happens here all the time too. But this is only audio impacts that I see.
--

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

Joe acknowledged my tweet this morning and has passed on this thread to the engineers.
--

Azzurrony

@targetadv.com

Thanks Matt. Let me know what they say.

If you watch closely enough on your STB, you'll notice more than just the audio drops on occasion. The video is actually dropping a frame or two here and there. You have to watch closely, but you can definitely see it. It's almost like a tiny hiccup in the video.

On the STB, it isn't as noticeable. However, on a cablecard system, especially where media center has to playback that video, you can see the pixelation.

Thanks for escalating this.