uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vamp9190
Premium
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA
kudos:1
reply to Nezmo

Re: [HD] My Fox Soccer HD Issues - Help!

said by Nezmo See Profile
I had a tech try to tell me the signal was too weak for my new 7232 to pick up my subscription channels (basic channels all coming in fine). The 7232 literally just replaced a 6416 that never had a problem. The exact same cables down to the power cable where used - they were simply unplugged from the 6416 and plugged in to the 7232. After about 30 minutes of him scratching his chin everything came in fine and has been fine ever since.
[/BQUOTE :

ROFL, unreal.

Northern VA

@verizon.net

I have the exact same problem with 584. It's the only channel that has this issue. I am running everything through a brand new Yamaha Receiver with HDMI. The picture is fine but the audio drops in and out making the channel unwatchable. Very frustrating.

rdk914

join:2011-09-15
Larchmont, NY

I am having an increasing number of problems with the picture and sound cutting in and out on FSC HD on all boxes. Yesterday's Champions League games on the DVR were unwatchable. I saw this thread and the comment about the QAM and I checked Fuse, and that channel seems to have the same issues. Does that mean I have a wiring problem somewhere and need a Verizon tech visit?

I tried to do the suggested diagnostic check on my 7232 box, but after powering off the screen just went black after I hit the ok button (the wandering text disappears, but nothing else comes up).

With such a long wait for the HD channel, and with QPR back in the prem this year, this is an extremely frustrating development!

Any help much appreciated.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

RDK-
If you're also seeing issues on Fuse - then yes - definitely get a tech out to check your coax, fittings, etc. This would indicate an issue with the 69MHz frequency.

My Fuse is perfect - only the audio drops on FSC HD.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

Azzurro

@verizon.net
reply to JeepMatt

Re: [HD] My Fox Soccer HD Issues - Advice Needed

Guys, this audio glitch on Fox Soccer Channel HD is killing me. I have FIOS in Long Island and a cablecard setup with Media Center. I have constant audio drop outs every few minutes with the accompanying frame drops and pixelation. It drives me nuts. It only happens on 584 and not on FUSE.

Over the last few weeks, I've had:

1. My cablecard swapped
2. Two trucks roll out and check every line and splitter (my signal is great)
3. Diagnostics done at the home office to check the signal and they say it is fine.

Nothing. I know my Media Center set makes the issue worse. Somehow Windows doesn't do as good a job of masking this issue as the STBs do. On the STBs, you will see one or two frames drop with at times but it is very subtle and most people won't pick it up. Then, on other times on the STB you'll have an audio drop out.

These frame drops on the Media Center are much worse as I mentioned.

-----
I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't an issue with FOX and the way they've encoded their video. I've seen others from Comcast and Cox complain about these audio drop outs so maybe there is something wrong at the Fox end. Verizon is getting me nowhere.

Any one else have ideas???

tbonepat11

@verizon.net

I had a tech out a month ago for the exact same issue. He swapped out everything except the box and nothing fixed. I have no eSata hooked up. He called the main facility and they turned to FSC and they were getting the same audio blips on the most recent box. He said it must either be coming from the feed or somewhere higher up the ladder.

I also noticed my brother on Comcast had the same issues about 200miles away. Seems like a feed issue from the source. I just have to live with it.

On a side note the tech told me something that made me mad. If your receiver breaks, they will replace it with a downgrade and not the new Cisco boxes, no matter what. It came all the way from the top. So if you have issues and you have the black Motorola QIP7232 and they don't have a replacement. You are getting downgraded to the older model and not the new model.

I hope someone figures out the FSC issues because it is quite annoying.

Azzurrony

@verizon.net

Tbonepat11,

Thanks for your info. I'm definitely starting to think there is something odd in the way FSC encodes their video. If Verizon is just passing the feed along to us, without re-encoding, then we are getting these glitches sent straight to us.

The question then is..how do we get FSC to realize this? I wish I knew what qualities in the video are causing this...is it just frame drops...is it an issue with converting PAL format soccer games to NTSC? I have no clue.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

For what it's worth - I sent Twitter Joe a message this morning to see if he can have them check the channel at the SHE (Super Headend) level.

It still happens here all the time too. But this is only audio impacts that I see.
--

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

Joe acknowledged my tweet this morning and has passed on this thread to the engineers.
--

Azzurrony

@targetadv.com

Thanks Matt. Let me know what they say.

If you watch closely enough on your STB, you'll notice more than just the audio drops on occasion. The video is actually dropping a frame or two here and there. You have to watch closely, but you can definitely see it. It's almost like a tiny hiccup in the video.

On the STB, it isn't as noticeable. However, on a cablecard system, especially where media center has to playback that video, you can see the pixelation.

Thanks for escalating this.

dimi1963

join:2001-12-27
Union, NJ

I did have noticed the frame slowness, at time it actually looks like is frame by frame. The audio is just annoying and it happens every time.

Azzurro

@verizon.net

Exactly. All you have to do is watch a scene with motion or the ball through the air and you can see the stutter at times. It's like frames are dropping from the video stream.

We need more people to complain and then Verizon will do something about it.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

Need Feedback

To anyone also seeing the issues-

Next time you witness it - send me exact times, and descriptions of what happens (stutter, audio drop, etc...) VZ is monitoring the feed.
--

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

Call me crazy, but I reported back to TJ that the Italian league game on at 3pm today was showing all the issues.

Fast forward 3 hours - i'm now watching FSC HD with no audio drops whatsoever. I've never been able to do this on the 7232.

I'm wondering if they finally found the issue with the direct feed from Fox?

Others - let me know if you notice an improvement tonight. Be sure to watch the Philadelphia Union take back 1st place in the MLS East tonight! C'mon the U!!!!
--

mooseroy

join:2011-09-23

I'm still hearing very frequent audio dropouts/glitches watching the MLS pregame show.

Azzurrony

@verizon.net

I'm still seeing frame drops throughout the KC Philadelphia MLS game. I have FIOS on Long Island.

The STB had noticeable audio and frame drops at the minute mark 85:08 and 87:55. It is like a slight stutter with some audio drop. This was happening every few minutes, but these are the ones I noted.

julesism

join:2001-12-12
Lewisville, TX
reply to JeepMatt

Re: [HD] My Fox Soccer HD Issues - Advice Needed

am I the only one currently seeing it during the Arsenal v Bolton match?

julesism

Lewisville, TX

1 edit
reply to JeepMatt

for grins i tuned to FSC SD on ch.84 and the issues are there as well. 84/SD may just be 584/HD converted...
*EDIT*
FSC just ack'd the issues so atm, it's on their end, not Verizon.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by julesism:

for grins i tuned to FSC SD on ch.84 and the issues are there as well. 84/SD may just be 584/HD converted...
*EDIT*
FSC just ack'd the issues so atm, it's on their end, not Verizon.

Yep, was watching Stoke City-Man Utd on 84 and took note of audio dropouts at 12:45, 12:47, and 12:49 PM EDT.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

tbonepat11

@verizon.net

it has been quite noticeable all morning during the EPL games. During long balls and fast movement it happens a lot. Keep us updated from what your friend says. I thinK it is a Feed issue from FSC. It happens no matter where the game is, MLS, EPL etc.

tbonepat11

@verizon.net

I just posted the issue over on »msn.foxsports.com/feedback

I advise more people to do it as well to make the issue known. I think most people just say "Oh well, I can live with it" and don't say anything. So lets make them aware.

julesism

Lewisville, TX

done

tbonepat11

@verizon.net

Here was their response. I responded back telling him that it is happening on multiple providers in HD and SD.

"It is FOX Sports’ mission to always provide our viewers with the best possible game coverage. One of the new features we are providing to our standard definition customers is a letterbox live feed so more of the game can be seen on the screen at home. While we have had many recent conversations as well as given ample instructions to cable providers across the country, some are continuing to augment our live game broadcast. We thank you for bringing this to our attention, if you could please reply back with the your zip code and cable carrier’s name we will contact them in the coming week to ensure they are following the proper handling instructions of our live broadcasts going forward"

Azzurrony

@verizon.net

The AC Milan Cesena game this afternoon was almost unwatchable. Through cablecard, the video is even worse. Dropouts were happening every minute or two.

I've written to foxsports. I believe there is a problem with the way they have encoded the video. I just wish I knew what it was.

rdk914

join:2011-09-15
Larchmont, NY
reply to JeepMatt

Re: [HD] My Fox Soccer HD Issues - Help!

I realize that the thread is now really about the audio drop out issue, but for others who may have been having picture and sound issues of varying magnitude, which were back with a vengeance for me yesterday, I seem to have resolved the problem by simply tightening all the coax connectors I could find outside the house (none of which seemed to be particularly loose) (a desperate last measure before calling for a tech visit). Hard to believe that that has fixed it, but it seems to be the case.

Azzurrony

@verizon.net

Rdk,

That sometimes will do it. For me, however, I've had the techs out to look at everything and the signal was fine.

It seems to be an issue with how the video is encoded. There are glitches in the audio which cause it to drop and then the video pixelates as it catches up.

tbonepat11

@verizon.net

Azz,

Exact same thing here. The tech swapped out all the connectors and significantly boosted the signal to no avail. He concluded that it must be the source.

simman

@northropgrumman.com

Not to highjack this thread, but I also have the same problems on the Golf Channel. Golf Channel is worse than Fox Soccer but they both freeze, skip, and pixalate. I went to diagnostics and everything seemed to be fine with good quality signal and no errors listed. I'm in VHO 3.

Azzurrony

@verizon.net

Matt,

Did Twitter Joe ever respond to our problem?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

said by Azzurrony :

Matt,

Did Twitter Joe ever respond to our problem?

You really should not place any value on that persons response to anything. He told us we'd all have 1.9 by end of year 2010. And that was just the start of it.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo