SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to El Pav

Premium Member

to El Pav

Re: [HD] My Fox Soccer HD Issues - Help!

ElPav-

Let me know how the tech visit goes. FSC HD is on 69MHz, which is one of the lowest QAM's on the frequency table - and sometimes can be more impacted by noise.

Since you're actually losing picture as well - try this.

Tune to 584. Power off your 7232 - then hit OK on the remote. It'll bring up the diagnostics menu.

Go down to #4 - In Band Status - and report back what you are seeing for SNR - and if any Correctable or Uncorrectable errors are shown. If they are, most likely it's something with the wiring or connectors.

Since i'm not losing picture - or seeing errors, perhaps Guppy is right - but stumped as to why this is ONLY happening with FSC HD.
El Pav
join:2011-07-19
Reston, VA

El Pav

Matt- thanks for your help (and for your work in getting this channel added). I will run the diagnostics tonight when I get home and report back and will keep you posted on the tech visit.
El Pav

El Pav to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Matt-

584 is still a black screen with the "channel is currently unavailable" message. Just ran the diagnostics on 584 for In Band Status. It is showing for In band tuner 1 snr 34.5 good and correctable error count ranging between 4000 to 10000+.

In-band tuner 2 is showing n/a

Try to replace the splitter?
El Pav

El Pav

Just replaced splitter and coax cable from wall into splitter. Early results- 584 is working- no pixellation and no sound issues yet (major knock on wood). Looks like that might have solved the problem. I will continue to monitor the channel next couple of days before cancelling the tech visit this weekend though. Thanks again for the help!
El Pav

El Pav

Well spoke too soon. 584 is completely out again. Diagnostics say:
In band tuner 1: 231 MHz SNR 40.0db Good no errors

In band tuner 2: 069.00MHz
SNR 29.2db Poor
errors uncorrectable 300000 and climbing correctable 10000000 and climbing
Any thoughts? Guess I shouldnt cancel the tech visit....

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Pav-
Yeah, definitely have the tech out - looks like wiring issues.
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Well,
My brand new receiver showed up today - perfect timing for my birthday. Now have the 7232 STB hooked up via HDMI to it, then to the TV - still getting the audio drops on FSC HD.

Very disappointed. Don't want to give up the DVR b/c I have quite a bit saved to the eSata drive.

So, guess it's time to have a tech out to check wiring.
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Okay,
So - took the DVR out, hooked up my 7100-2 box to the same outlet.

There were less audio drops, but it still happened time to time, almost as if the DVR is less tolerable to whatever is causing it.

Still, no errors on the STB.

Went over to Fuse HD which shares the same QAM (69MHz), no audio drops whatsoever on EITHER STB.

This only leaves the coax and/or splitter to be replaced - but if it was a frequency thing, wouldn't you think it'd be affecting both channels on that QAM and not just Fox Soccer HD?

It's really driving me nuts.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by SeattleMatt:

Okay,
So - took the DVR out, hooked up my 7100-2 box to the same outlet.

There were less audio drops, but it still happened time to time, almost as if the DVR is less tolerable to whatever is causing it.

Still, no errors on the STB.

Went over to Fuse HD which shares the same QAM (69MHz), no audio drops whatsoever on EITHER STB.

This only leaves the coax and/or splitter to be replaced - but if it was a frequency thing, wouldn't you think it'd be affecting both channels on that QAM and not just Fox Soccer HD?

It's really driving me nuts.

I had a tech try to tell me the signal was too weak for my new 7232 to pick up my subscription channels (basic channels all coming in fine). The 7232 literally just replaced a 6416 that never had a problem. The exact same cables down to the power cable where used - they were simply unplugged from the 6416 and plugged in to the 7232. After about 30 minutes of him scratching his chin everything came in fine and has been fine ever since.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

I scored a Sunday morning appointment. We'll see what's up then..
SeattleMatt

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Of Course...

So, had my tech out today. I'm kicking myself for not getting his name...probably one of the coolest, most personable techs I've ever had out. (and i've had good ones...LOL)

So, tell him the problem, he sees it (well, he hears it...hahaha).

Puts new fittings on each end of the coax (still there)
Replaces the splitter (still there)
Replaces the entire line of coax (still there).

The one thing I never thought of (and what was ultimately the culprit????)

My eSata drive. For some reason, the WD 1TB external drive i'm using is causing issues with this one damn channel. We unhooked the drive after swapping boxes between rooms, noticed it no longer happened. Brought it back to the original location, eSata un-hooked, no longer happened.

Here's the weird part - with it hooked up - IF I ACTUALLY RECORD Fox Soccer HD while watching it, I don't lose sound. If it just buffers normally, the sound drops came right back. So there has to be some type of sync issue w/ this brand of hard drive, however Fox Soccer HD transmits their audio, and the 1.9 IMG.

He's going to report it back to his manager so it can be passed up the ladder for when the rest of the VHO finally gets 1.9.

Go figure...
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn

Premium Member

Great. I bet this means the 1.9 rollout will get pushed back another three months as they fix this issue...

[/sarcasm]

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190 to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo

Re: [HD] My Fox Soccer HD Issues - Help!

said by Nezmo See Profile
I had a tech try to tell me the signal was too weak for my new 7232 to pick up my subscription channels (basic channels all coming in fine). The 7232 literally just replaced a 6416 that never had a problem. The exact same cables down to the power cable where used - they were simply unplugged from the 6416 and plugged in to the 7232. After about 30 minutes of him scratching his chin everything came in fine and has been fine ever since.
[/BQUOTE :

ROFL, unreal.

Northern VA
@verizon.net

Northern VA

Anon

I have the exact same problem with 584. It's the only channel that has this issue. I am running everything through a brand new Yamaha Receiver with HDMI. The picture is fine but the audio drops in and out making the channel unwatchable. Very frustrating.
rdk914
join:2011-09-15
Larchmont, NY

rdk914

I am having an increasing number of problems with the picture and sound cutting in and out on FSC HD on all boxes. Yesterday's Champions League games on the DVR were unwatchable. I saw this thread and the comment about the QAM and I checked Fuse, and that channel seems to have the same issues. Does that mean I have a wiring problem somewhere and need a Verizon tech visit?

I tried to do the suggested diagnostic check on my 7232 box, but after powering off the screen just went black after I hit the ok button (the wandering text disappears, but nothing else comes up).

With such a long wait for the HD channel, and with QPR back in the prem this year, this is an extremely frustrating development!

Any help much appreciated.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

RDK-
If you're also seeing issues on Fuse - then yes - definitely get a tech out to check your coax, fittings, etc. This would indicate an issue with the 69MHz frequency.

My Fuse is perfect - only the audio drops on FSC HD.
rdk914
join:2011-09-15
Larchmont, NY

rdk914

I realize that the thread is now really about the audio drop out issue, but for others who may have been having picture and sound issues of varying magnitude, which were back with a vengeance for me yesterday, I seem to have resolved the problem by simply tightening all the coax connectors I could find outside the house (none of which seemed to be particularly loose) (a desperate last measure before calling for a tech visit). Hard to believe that that has fixed it, but it seems to be the case.

Azzurrony
@verizon.net

Azzurrony

Anon

Rdk,

That sometimes will do it. For me, however, I've had the techs out to look at everything and the signal was fine.

It seems to be an issue with how the video is encoded. There are glitches in the audio which cause it to drop and then the video pixelates as it catches up.

tbonepat11
@verizon.net

tbonepat11

Anon

Azz,

Exact same thing here. The tech swapped out all the connectors and significantly boosted the signal to no avail. He concluded that it must be the source.

simman
@northropgrumman.com

simman

Anon

Not to highjack this thread, but I also have the same problems on the Golf Channel. Golf Channel is worse than Fox Soccer but they both freeze, skip, and pixalate. I went to diagnostics and everything seemed to be fine with good quality signal and no errors listed. I'm in VHO 3.

Azzurrony
@verizon.net

Azzurrony

Anon

Matt,

Did Twitter Joe ever respond to our problem?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by Azzurrony :

Matt,

Did Twitter Joe ever respond to our problem?

You really should not place any value on that persons response to anything. He told us we'd all have 1.9 by end of year 2010. And that was just the start of it.

Azzurrony
@verizon.net

Azzurrony

Anon

3 months and this problem continues. Inter v. Napoli was garbage today. I've emailed Fox to no avail. Not sure what else to do.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Yeah, the MLS game last night was crap. I've heard nothing back.