share rss forum feed

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1

It's a bird, it's a plane...

yes, it's a plane, and a great reason to leave California all together.
Today is the day.
First lesson at 6:30 pm. I shall learn to fly. or better yet, fall with style.
The first lesson is only an hour and a half total. But it's a start!
I will be looking at a hour and a half lesson a month for the rest of the year (depending on finances, may have to skip a month or two) and then we will see what we can budget next year.
--
Remember, you are a nutjob, but they should not find anything wrong with your work.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Enjoy, flying is super fun. Where are you taking lessons? South County or out of state?

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA
I will be out of South County.
The price is right as it can be, the planes look in good shape, there seems to be a number of people learning out there. And it is close to where I live.
--
Remember, you are a nutjob, but they should not find anything wrong with your work.

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
And... no tower!

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to TheRul
I used to fly back when I lived in Illinois. It's great fun, but I wouldn't care to do it down here in the South Bay. Just too much air traffic!
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

1 recommendation

reply to TheRul
I enjoyed the hell out of it. Now I just need more money so I can do it again...
--

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to drjim
One of my funnest flights was PAO to SMO. The traffic in the air was much better than the traffic on the ground. Plus, a stop at Harris Ranch on the way home for dinner.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA
I am really looking forward to those flights. My wife does not believe that the airport for Harris Ranch is for General Use. Not that she is big into steaks either.
--

bobrk
Premium
San Jose, CA
As far as I know it is. It's been a long time, but I believe that airports that are closed to general traffic are marked "private" on the charts.

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell
reply to TheRul
What, no pics???

I envy you, I was in flight school long ago when I could afford it. It's a hellof a lot of fun. That first flight is important, because as I learned there are only two kinds of people as to aviation: those that love flying and those that don't. There's no in between. And you find out on that first ride. My first takeoff was aborted, by me, seconds before the wheels left the ground due to a door latch problem and my door popped open. The instructor wanted to stop and have the door checked out... I insisted on taxiing back to the other end of the runway and trying again. The door stayed closed.

I remember spending several afternoons at Whiteman, standing at the downwind end of the runway taking pictures of aircraft with a telephoto lens as they approached me, and as they took off over my head. Something unimaginable in today's post 911 environment. I found out later I had given quite a few pilots heartburn... they thought I was with the FAA.

My first few months I had a pretty good looking woman as an instructor... in a Cessna 152. Seats are so close together you sit with shoulders touching. I still remember how the fur coat she wore on winter mornings would make me want to sneeze as it got in my face when I turned to look out the right window.

I really shook her up once, my first time practicing stall recovery. I had read the book but misunderstood. Flew to the practice area, power off, raise the nose, wait for the loss of lift and the drop... then I pushed the nose straight down and added full power. It's amazing how fast a little airplane reaches redline that way... like I said, lots and lots of fun.

Another time, years later, I was back seat in a Bonanza and we flew to OC (John Wayne ?) for lunch. The pilot and owner of the Bonanza was blind... yes legally and actually blind, could barely see enough to get around his house. Ok there was an instructor in the right seat. But the owner did everything but takeoff and land. Once in the air the instructor was his eyes, looking for traffic and reading the instruments for him. I was promised a check ride in the Bonanza that day, but we stayed in OC too long and it never happened before he sold it.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA
reply to TheRul
Click for full size
I was ready to take pictures. But I was too excited to get more than the one when I arrived...
--

shortckt
Premium
Tenant Hell
Perfectly understandable. I took a 35mm and lenses with me on practically every flight, but I don't think I ever thought about taking one picture after starting the engine.

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

1 recommendation

reply to TheRul
So, you're not a multi_tasker?
My first flight (about a month ago) I got a bunch of pictures and video and flew the plane.
A friend of mine is a flight instructor and took me up after about a year of asking. I had a blast and wish I had the money for lessons.

--
mbsastronomy.com

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA
that is why I am taking the 2 year plan. My next lesson is planned for October.

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
Sounds like a good plan to me. Good luck with it and may all your landings be good ones.
--
mbsastronomy.com

shortckt
Premium
Tenant Hell
reply to TheHarvester
I like photo #2, the way it captured the cloud reflection on the surface of the wing.